Help diagnose this noise

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Help diagnose this noise

Postby docta.phipps on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Hey All,

I have this rattle type sound coming from the engine. I suspect it may be injectors but not 100% Hopefully someone can help me out?
Under heavy boost/acceleration I cant hear it, un deceleration I can't hear it, just under constant or slight acceleration.
I can also flutter the throttle in and out and make it happen quite loud as well and find like a sweet spot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuzxat2v3epuy ... 2.m4a?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sl049e8y1ne5 ... 3.m4a?dl=1

As you can hear in the clips, the noise is present under slight load with increasing revs. Cannot hear on deceleration or hard acceleration and can replicate it any time of the day, more so when cold in the morning.

This is recorded from inside the cabin driving at 80km+ so is quite loud of general road noise.

Thanks for the help.
docta.phipps

Re: Help diagnose this noise

Postby docta.phipps on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:20 am

Still no one that has heard it before?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hy28u99xcqfs ... GfRra?dl=0
docta.phipps

Postby OffRoadDave on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:20 am

No replies I imagine to your first post because both sound file links are broken, as to the second sound clip, it sounds normal to me, the injectors make different noises at different loads and RPM, best thing for it would be take to a dealer and ask for a "SQL" (small quantity learn) to be performed, that's the first thing they do when you report noisy injectors.
OffRoadDave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah mine sounds the same. Injector rattle apparently. I hate it but kind of tune it out now.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby micv on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Mine has always sounded like that. Like sewing machine on steroids.
micv

Postby kxboss on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Chech gearshift knob, I had a buzzing noise as described can't play your sound files but the buzz happened at about 80 on accelerating , push down gear shift made it stop, Mitsubishi replaced gear knob and I moaned about leather steering wheel and worn inside dorm handle pickets they replaced all 2012 glr 4door 4/4

Gear knob was over tightened and guts loose
kxboss

Postby docta.phipps on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks all for the replies, didn't realise the original files didn't work.

Dealer has said its "normal" but I can't get my head around something so loud being normal. It really drives me nuts.

Guess I'll keep at them to try and do something about it.
docta.phipps

Postby colin b on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:38 pm

I can't hear anything abnormal in those files but I am no mechanic. My best suggestion would be to see if you can get the dealer or anyone else you know to take you for a ride in a similar model and/or drive yours to make a comparison. Mine (2012MN auto) clatters a little when it is cold but once warmed up just sounds like a diesel engine.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby docta.phipps on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Does anyone know if the hotfix ML 13-001 would fix my issue? 2012 MN Manual Diesel 4x4.
docta.phipps

Postby reflex on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 am

Hi all,

I didn't want to start a new thread regarding a noise. I think I may have something similar so that's why I'm posting here.
Sometimes I hear ticking (could be injectors) and the other is a thumping type sound which can be faintly heard in the sound clip.
It is a 4m41 common rail in a 2009 Pajero Sport.

https://youtu.be/swVDmNCcdR8

Sound clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPkN_RldDcs&feature=youtu.be

I hope that all is well obviously :)
reflex

Postby Krossbain on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:36 pm

For piece of mind I shouldn't read these threads... Mn triton rattles when its cold, rattles just above 2000 rpm on light throttle as docta.philps says but keeps on going... not sure what an injector death rattle sounds like but apparently isnt this as my old girl keeps on going, rattles and all... I think we shouldn't over think some of the sounds coming from under the bonnet as just the nature of the beast :D
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reflex on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Haha possibly. Just doesn't sound natural and also sounds completely different to the non commonrail 3.2
reflex

Postby coughy on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 am

2T is enuff said shuts mine up every time..
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reflex on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:23 pm

2T safe on the commonrail? I know lots of guys use it on the non commonrail.
The one sound almost sounds like noise through the airbox. Could be valve related. I'm just trying to find someone competent to inspect or do the adjustment. So far no luck...
reflex

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Not for nothing but these things sound like a Massey Fergusson compared to most modern diesels, plus there is little to none cabin deadening.

Audible knocks and tapping get it checked but otherwise turn the radio up a bit more :P
MilkmanDan

Postby reflex on Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 am

I think I at least know where the noise is coming from.
From the air filter box. If anyone has the time please remove your filter and let the engine idle. I can hear a dah dah dah noise.
Not sure if this is combustion noise somehow resonating through the turbo? Hopefully it is normal :-/
reflex

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:10 am

Sound deadening on the Tritions is the worst I've encountered.

I noticed my son's mn glxr has foam inserts ahead of the front doors, possibly to help keep some engine noise out.

2T is the trick. How long since valve clearance? How many kms on the clock? Where do you get you dino juice?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reflex on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Sorry, what I should have said is that when I removed the filter the noise was much more pronounced.
Yeah it can be quite noisy in the cab for sure :)
I think I must give this 2T a try. I've kind of been on the fence about it mainly because there is a serious engine development and testing engineer at my work and he doesn't recommend it.
I'm not sure if the valve clearances have ever been done. MM sent me their service schedule which states that it is done 40 000 and 80 000km, however when I asked them about it they say the only listen and don't usually adjust it in the cars normal service life :shock:
The car now has 120 000km and I've only owned it since 107k so I will make sure the clearances are set this time...
Dino juice? Fuel?
reflex

Postby AndrewQ on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 pm

docta.phipps wrote:Thanks all for the replies, didn't realise the original files didn't work.

Dealer has said its "normal" but I can't get my head around something so loud being normal. It really drives me nuts.

Guess I'll keep at them to try and do something about it.

I bought a 2013 MN GLXR auto back in October last year with just 20,000kms on it. It was used by the previous owner as a delivery vehicle between their two factories and was only used every Thursday hence the low kms clocked up. They said after the battery went flat for the umpteenth time they decided to sell it.

The ute was like new and runs well however I get a very loud clatter (high frequency) which I suspect is from the injectors, on a light throttle almost always between 2,500rpm and 3,000rpm. If I apply a bit more throttle to load the engine the clatter stops but if I ease off it returns. Under load when accelerating more briskly there is no clatter but as load comes off the engine the clatter returns between the above rev range.

I have had it checked by the dealer and they said it seemed normal but thought an SQL and an ECU software update may improve it a bit. Nope, still the same. I run the ute exclusively on Caltex Vortex and have run Flashlube and a few other injector cleaners through it to no avail. I have also replaced the fuel filter. There is no noticeable smoke under normal load or when accelerating hard.

I am wondering if it is all of the injectors making this clattering noise or a single injector? It would appear from the reading I have done on this forum and a few others that this issue mostly occurs in autos? Is this clatter normal or a sign of injector issues? Any help appreciated.
2013 MN GLXR Auto
AndrewQ

Postby kxboss on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 pm

check the inter cooler pipe from the turbo if its loose will make a high pitch sound like a buzz
kxboss

Postby kxboss on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:56 am

check inter cooler hoses the one on the drivers side makes a sound like a rattle at boost i just had it happen to me hose was split, $200 from Mitsubishi for one hose and no one seems to make aftermarket so bought replacement hose kit from ebay with alloy pipes for just under the $200
kxboss

Postby AndrewQ on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:15 pm

kxboss wrote:check inter cooler hoses the one on the drivers side makes a sound like a rattle at boost i just had it happen to me hose was split, $200 from Mitsubishi for one hose and no one seems to make aftermarket so bought replacement hose kit from ebay with alloy pipes for just under the $200

OK thanks I will check this out and see if this is the problem.
2013 MN GLXR Auto
AndrewQ

Postby Enid_Triton on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Yes the 4D56 motors are loud, especially the injectors which are more expensive than Gold to replace. And its a P#ick of a job to do.
But if mine was as quiet as the one in your video I would dance & sing for hours.

Mine has only done 52,00K's & it has injectors that are louder than the injectors in a Massey Ferguson Tractor & that is no exaggeration.
But now on top of all that (apparently normal & within specifications) rattle, no 3 injector has started to ping as well as rattle which sounds pretty weird.
Also the motor has developed some other clanging noise that is completely different from anything I or anyone else has ever heard coming from a 2.5 diesel Triton. This thing is louder that a Collins Class Submarine and you can hear me coming when I'm half a Kilometer away.
I have had the valves clearance adjusted, the rockers checked for excessive wear, the valve stems & seats checked & valve springs tested and they are all fine & dandy. There is no noise coming from the bottom end or from any accessories bolted on the motor. Belts & pulleys are new too.

So because no one can diagnose what is causing the new noise I just keep throwing bottles of Liqui Moly in the old girl & wringing it's neck on the highway, because you canna fix something if no one can tell you what needs fixing. I am sure I will find out eventually probably when I am miles from nowhere.,, Another Triton,,, No way,,,Never again.
Enid_Triton

Return to Fuel Systems