BP Active clean or Oil of snake...

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

BP Active clean or Oil of snake...

Postby leonbee on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Troublesome BP with its a 10 billion loss in profits have launched a new product and advertising campaign to rival its competition with an upgrade to its Ultimate fuel package. The benefits and extra cost of BP Ultimate in comparison to regular diesel is highly debated in the forums.

Now BP have introduces Active dirt busting Technology. Claims this additive will keep a new engine clean and with regular use clean an old engine of robbing fuel saving deposits. The additive cleans, removes and protects from dirt build up on valves, injectors etc. Claims of Fuel increases of up to 50km per tank. This claim is based on a clean engine and in comparison with an engine chocked with deposits.

WE recall the launch of a similar idea by Shell in 1986, which was implicated in the burning out of inlet valves and withdrawn shortly after. Shell reintroduced a revised product a few years ago with V-power. BP claims Active dirt busting Technology has being researched and results tested over 5 years prior to release. Its safe, effective and patented the formula.

Does it work and is it worth the extra coin...

or Snake oil.. :lol:
http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/b ... ium-petrol

References:
http://www.bp.com/en_za/on-the-road/sou ... ology.html
http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/b ... ology.html

Here is the spill..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3uOr4XOSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3sps5Rv-Qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRuBhBHk8I
leonbee

Re: BP Active clean or Oil of snake...

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:16 am

Subject: Fuel economy

NowForThe5th wrote:The additives that fuel companies put in fuels do actually work. Some a little better than others but more dependent on how much they put in.

Some years ago, well quite a few actually, Caltex had an additive that they put in their fuel that did the same thing as this BP "dirt busting" technology. Except that they put heaps of this CX3 in and it worked wonders. Cleaned carbies and inlet manifolds, even reduced build-up inside the combustion chamber. Trick was to fill up with Caltex and take the car for a good long country run. Then, ideally, do it again. After a while the thing would cough and splutter a bit then, like magic it would run like new. It was so good that the chemist at the fuel company I worked for, which was not Caltex, recommended it for most of the usual symptoms resulting from gum, sludge and carbon build-up. :shock: There weren't many fuel injected vehicles around then, but it did the same for them.

So, I have no doubt that BP's product works, particularly if they've bumped the dosage up a bit. Give it a go but it may take a tank or two to show some results. Of course, if the fuel you've been using has a similar additive, or you've been using an injector cleaner, then the result won't be so noticeable. So, unless you were to pull the injectors out and test them you probably won't ever know. But if this BP fuel is no more expensive than the alternative you have nothing to lose......unless your current supplier puts in more or has a better package. Only way to find that out would be to have each fuel independently analysed. Shouldn't cost all that much and you can repay the cost with the $5/tank you'll save, if there is a significant difference. ;)

Is it worth paying extra for? Probably not.

BTW, I do love John Cadogan but that little rant of his could be busted wide open all too easily. Unusual for him to make such blatant errors. Bear in mind that he's talking about petrol while we're (mostly) concerned with diesel.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jerrah on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 am

I'm related to someone who is a very experienced operator in an Australian refinery. He has said that his refinery produces fuel for most of the fuel companies according to pre defined specifications (how many refineries do you see in Australia) and when the diesel leaves the plant in the various trucks it's all made to the same recipe. If there is any magic properties it would have to be added in the truck or by the servo owner.
jerrah

Postby Haydes55 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:36 am

I got better mileage from supermarket diesel than from the new BP diesel... by 0.4l/100km. Mind you, the engine is less than 10,000km old so hasn't had a chance to get too messy inside. Most fills I get 7.19l/100km to 7.4l/100km. On BP diesel I got 7.7l/100km. That was only 1 tank of BP diesel, they do say after prolonged use... not worth it at all to me. Get 50km less per tank several times, to then maybe get an extra 50km per tank later on?

Snake oil.
Haydes55

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:02 am

It's ironic that the best economy I ever got was from a Puma service station. And some very ordinary results from BP Ultimate. Go figure?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:15 pm

Longranger1 wrote:It's ironic that the best economy I ever got was from a Puma service station. And some very ordinary results from BP Ultimate. Go figure?

Yer i'm hearing you. I think the Quality of the diesel varies regardless of purchase. Iv also had a mixed bag of results with performance and km as well with BP and regular diesel from independents. Cycle back and forth when I get a bad batch.
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:23 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Subject: Fuel economy

NowForThe5th wrote:
BTW, I do love John Cadogan but that little rant of his could be busted wide open all too easily. Unusual for him to make such blatant errors. Bear in mind that he's talking about petrol while we're (mostly) concerned with diesel.

Yer he cracks me up tho :lol: if it works, The Diesel needs all the help it can get with the pollution gear.
leonbee

Postby jerrah on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 pm

leonbee wrote:the Quality of the diesel varies regardless of purchase.
The fuel is all coming from the same refineries regardless of brand. Unless your servo is adding additives into their tank the only variations would be winter blend or contaminants in their underground tanks.

Queensland - Caltex Lytton.
NSW - None, all closed down. Imported either from overseas (Singapore, India or China) or from another Eastern state.
Victoria - Vitol and Exxonmobil
South Australia - None
Western Australia - BP

They don't truck BP fuel from Western Australia to the East coast to fill up!
jerrah

Postby mudslinger on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Used to work at Caltex and i know they put their cleaning agent into the tanker once its filled up. Its basically like the injector cleaner you use. Does it work, who knows? Does it help them sell their fuel... yes!

Is bp ultimate any different from caltex vortex or are they any different from normal diesel. ... i dont recon you could really tell over a couple of tanks... you'd need to use each one over the long term..still undecided.
mudslinger

Postby leonbee on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:19 am

Shell have had a similar product out since 2011 targeting the transport and mining industry called Shell diesel extra. Again claims the additive package reduces the build up of gums on injectors etc compared to regular diesel. Keeping a new engine clean and performing as new or removing deposits to restore an older engine to peak operation. Fuel savings are a bit more modest at 3% . The Same spill as BP however Took them only 3 years to developed.

http://www.truckinlife.com.au/articles/ ... -customers

http://www.shell.com.au/products-servic ... ining.html
leonbee

Return to Fuel Systems