Ironman Big Bore Exhaust Upgrade, Anyone have this?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Ironman Big Bore Exhaust Upgrade, Anyone have this?

Postby Alginrufo on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello all. I have a 2014 Triton, 4WD GLS V Sport model. I recently upgraded my tires and front and rear suspension. I was thinking about upgrading my exhaust as well. Have any of you out there upgraded your exhaust? Specifically, I was hoping for feedback on the Ironman Big Bore exhaust, as that is the one I'm strongly considering. I'm looking for any owner feedback on power, torque, fuel efficiency increases. Thanks!
Alginrufo

Re: Ironman Big Bore Exhaust Upgrade, Anyone have this?

Postby ag9111 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Most people report a negligible power torque increase when upgrading exhausts
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alginrufo on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Well that's disappointing...it goes against the claims from Ironman and also goes against the logic behind modifying airflow constriction and unchaining engine potential from OEM part limitations. I have a multi info display that tells me km/L etc...I figured that wouldn't lie if upgraded the exhaust. ANY owners out there who have had a big bore exhaust upgrade, I would super appreciate it if you chimed in!
Alginrufo

Postby ag9111 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 pm

I dont know the specs of that exhaust but 3" exhausts tend to cause overboost Issues in MNs when hauling loads up hill.

use the search function and you will find a heap of info on exhausts. Both pros and cons

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:58 am

Alginrufo wrote:Well that's disappointing...it goes against the claims from Ironman and also goes against the logic behind modifying airflow constriction and unchaining engine potential from OEM part limitations. I have a multi info display that tells me km/L etc...I figured that wouldn't lie if upgraded the exhaust. ANY owners out there who have had a big bore exhaust upgrade, I would super appreciate it if you chimed in!

Seriously, this has been done to death :roll:

Do a search on the topic.

There are many reasons why a larger exhaust will offer sweet FA in the way of a performance increase. There are also plenty of real-world examples in other types of vehicles where an exhaust over XX size will actually reduce power, or shift it into an impractically high rpm range.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alginrufo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:14 am

Roll your eyes all you want BillMcQ...I specifically asked for any owners who have done an Ironman big bore exhaust upgrade, as they make one specifically for the Triton. I have searched the topic..and surprisingly, not a single OWNER of a Triton has given feedback on this particular product. For sure, someone has done it and I'm just waiting to hear feedback from someone who really matters; not an armchair motorhead mechanic who chimes in with info that I can find with a simple internet search. Have you upgraded your exhaust with Ironman? If not, then don't read this thread and remind yourself that nobody forced you to reply!
Alginrufo

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 am

Alginrufo wrote:Roll your eyes all you want BillMcQ...I specifically asked for any owners who have done an Ironman big bore exhaust upgrade, as they make one specifically for the Triton. I have searched the topic..and surprisingly, not a single OWNER of a Triton has given feedback on this particular product. For sure, someone has done it and I'm just waiting to hear feedback from someone who really matters; not an armchair motorhead mechanic who chimes in with info that I can find with a simple internet search. Have you upgraded your exhaust with Ironman? If not, then don't read this thread and remind yourself that nobody forced you to reply!

Perhaps you should brush up on your comprehension skills. I didn't mention the Ironman exhaust. You asked for any feedback from owners who have fitted a big bore exhaust.

Alginrufo wrote:ANY owners out there who have had a big bore exhaust upgrade, I would super appreciate it if you chimed in!

My post was in reply to your comment regarding the "logic" surrounding increased exhaust sizes. Manufacturers of any performance products will obviously make claims that their exhaust will improve XXXXX. Perhaps I could interest you in a $5 German-made black box that will add 500hp to your vehicle and give you 50% better fuel economy.

You are quite happy to make it personal by casting aspersions about me being an "armchair motorhead mechanic" but this sums up your own knowledge;

Alginrufo wrote:I have a multi info display that tells me km/L etc...I figured that wouldn't lie if upgraded the exhaust.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll save you the effort of using the search function; The lack of meaningful performance increase from fitting a 3" exhaust to a Triton has been well documented on the dyno, by multiple people, including MRT. No-one has been able to produce dyno charts to the contrary. What is also well documented, is the issues that people encounter from fitting them to stock motors.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alginrufo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:15 pm

How does that sum up my knowledge? With current mods done on my truck (added payload) I've noticed my fuel economy dip a bit. I see it right in front of me on the truck's computer. Doesn't it stand to reason that if a company like Ironman makes a specific exhaust system for turbo diesels such as the one in the Triton, that one would see this figure either stay the same or show an improvement?
Alginrufo

Postby Alginrufo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Look at my 1st post in the thread. I specifically ask about the Ironman big bore feedback..or anyone who has done an equivalent.

Did you mention something you had done? Or were you too busy rolling your eyes and regurgitating exhaust info that I can search on my own?

If you're going to roll your eyes and be condescending, then at least mention if you did an upgrade on your own, and then show some attitude.
Alginrufo

Postby Alginrufo on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Ahh. Nevermind. This is proving to be lame. I ask nicely for REAL owner feedback and you get folks rolling their eyes at you because you're not a mechanic...how hard is it to stay the EFF out of a thread if you don't even qualify to answer the question? Have fun in your world where you know everything and are unchallenged behind the comfort of your screen...Done wasting my time on this garbage forum.
Alginrufo

Postby snakesoup on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:49 pm

lol
snakesoup

Postby ag9111 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Sensitive little petal

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Alginrufo wrote:Ahh. Nevermind. This is proving to be lame. I ask nicely for REAL owner feedback and you get folks rolling their eyes at you because you're not a mechanic...how hard is it to stay the EFF out of a thread if you don't even qualify to answer the question? Have fun in your world where you know everything and are unchallenged behind the comfort of your screen...

I assure you, I am more than qualified to answer your question, which is what I attempted to do (even with rolled eyes). If you can't articulate your train of thought without ambiguity (or use the search function) that's no reason to spit the dummy.

Alginrufo wrote:Done wasting my time on this garbage forum.

No worries champ, don't slam the door on the way out.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:20 pm

TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:35 pm

He's probably already bought his big bore exhaust and was hoping to justify it.

Geez.. no point talking to people unless you're telling them what they want to hear these days.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

This obsession with 3" exhausts is almost as bad as the days of wide tyres back in the 70s - 80s. :lol:

These little 2.5l diesels are used around 2 to 3k rpm most of the time, not really an extreme air pump.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:01 am

RHKTriton wrote:This obsession with 3" exhausts is almost as bad as the days of wide tyres back in the 70s - 80s. :lol:

True, I had similar arguments with people when I was fitting 7.50R16 Olympic Bar-Treads to my Landrover, and people would say "when are you going to fit wide tyres", or "when are you going to get some real tyres for that thing".

That Landrover went everywhere, including sand, without an issue.

The 3" exhaust mythology is building, all because 3" tube is cheap and available, manufacturers want to minimise their inventory range and mandrels, etc. Then there is the the fact that a lot of the 4x4 market is based around image; people like to be size queens. How many of those immaculately presented 70 series Cruisers with $30k worth of aftermarket gingerbread actually go off-road? Manufacturers know this, and profit from it.

We all know that there are reasons for running a larger pipe (EGT, availability in stainless, etc) and certainly, the longevity of stainless is well known, and drop in EGT can be measured, but 5th also hit the nail on the head with his comment that no-one has ever melted a turbo with a stock exhaust (in another exhaust thread); the benefits are really marginal.

So the fact that I run a 3" pipe makes me consumer drone, just like the rest of them. :lol:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 am

I'm still concerned that the amount of soot that contributes to the inlet manifold clogging must also eventually cause some restriction in the Cat and muffler. I realise the Cat gets pretty hot but not enough to actually destroy the particulates, otherwise why are DPFs being necessary?

Re the 'fruit', considering a big 200series can only take around 160kg more load than my daughter's little Alto, the added mass must soon reduce this to less than!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 am

Mine come with the 3" exhaust when I bought it so I can truthfully say I am not one of the lemmings :D

would I have bought one. No
mine is a bit noisy and I may look at changing the muffler.
I will talk to a few exhaust joints and see if I can put some restriction back in the system to stop the overboost that I can trigger if I try hard enough.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 am

RHKTriton wrote:I'm still concerned that the amount of soot that contributes to the inlet manifold clogging must also eventually cause some restriction in the Cat and muffler. I realise the Cat gets pretty hot but not enough to actually destroy the particulates, otherwise why are DPFs being necessary?

True, it is of some concern. I suppose one of the benefits to my 3" exhaust is the high flow cat, which should be harder to clog. I also wrapped the dump pipe/cat in a couple of layers of heat wrap which helps the cat get up to temp quicker, and stay there. Some delete the cat entirely, but I'm not sold on that concept.

However, to balance that statement, there are plenty of high km Tritons that haven't had a blocked cat.

I wonder if those that only do short trips could possibly have an issue (eventually)?

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Interesting bit here about exhaust temp mitigation.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/why- ... aust-tips/
Crash486

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 pm

How is the exhaust wrap held in place? Wire ties or is is resin impregnated?

Do you notice much difference in engine bay temp?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm

yer mine is heat wrapped and the stainless steel cable ties hold it on there and the temps are lower by the feel of it i will get the heat gun out next time i remember to check

here it is
Click to view larger picture
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 am

RHKTriton wrote:How is the exhaust wrap held in place? Wire ties or is is resin impregnated?

Do you notice much difference in engine bay temp?

Wound tightly around, and I used stainless hose clamps instead of the stainless ties, because I feel that they grip better.

Cabin/engine bay temps are significantly better. When I wear thongs, I generally drive in bare feet, and you can feel the difference in the footrest.

Click to view larger picture

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 am

Looks neat guys.

Yeah, the term 'firewall' almost applies literally on these things.

Compounding little insulation, exhaust and CAT right there, along with a constant flow heater core, its challenging to keep the cab cool.

Cleaning both manifolds and turbo is on the list, so ideal time to wrap. A heater bypass valve is also high on the list.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems