Injector coding

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Injector coding

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:32 am

Found an interesting article on Triton injectors, along with some helpful codes and tips.

http://www.hynsgarage.com/2016/08/mitsu ... mming.html
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Injector coding

Postby docta.phipps on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:58 am

Funny you posted this. Mine has just been in to Mitsubishi as it wasnt firing on cylinders 2 and 4 i think.
Lost the coding for the injectors from the ecu.
They have recoded and all seems fine but told if it happens again then I'm getting new injectors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
docta.phipps

Postby coughy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 am

wow nice find bill
see this bit The EDU or the charge circuit in the ECU raises the respective battery voltage to approxi-mately 85V, which is supplied to the injector by signal from the ECU to actuate the injector.

wow thats some voltage to get the injector working didn't realise it was so much

But nice find and a good read
thanks bill
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

docta.phipps wrote:Funny you posted this. Mine has just been in to Mitsubishi as it wasnt firing on cylinders 2 and 4 i think.
Lost the coding for the injectors from the ecu.
They have recoded and all seems fine but told if it happens again then I'm getting new injectors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Codes are stored in the ECU not in the injector (code needed is on the injector)

Changing injectors has nothing to do with storing the code as such and it shouldn't be causeing the ECU to forget any of the codes

Sounds like the ECU is playing up if anything
Stoneman

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 am

Stoneman wrote:Sounds like the ECU is playing up if anything

True.

The codes on the injector are calibration information for the ECU, not an actual piece of firmware in the injector.

Don't you love how dealerships can spin BS :?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 pm

I'd imagine there is a range of tolerance in the assembled injector off the production line. A number of performance tests would be performed to determine bias (signal adjustments) that have to be applied to produce expected injection characteristics. The coding is simply allowing each port on the ECU to be set the same as what was determined at the factory.

Would be interesting to see how much variation can occur between units.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:39 am

RHKTriton wrote:I'd imagine there is a range of tolerance in the assembled injector off the production line. A number of performance tests would be performed to determine bias (signal adjustments) that have to be applied to produce expected injection characteristics. The coding is simply allowing each port on the ECU to be set the same as what was determined at the factory.

Would be interesting to see how much variation can occur between units.

A lot, get the number wrong and you will see the engine light on

It's all about optimising the spray basically each code is specific to each injector not to each cylinder than the SQL tunes the injector to each cyclinder, if that makes sense

Google it their is heaps of info on it and why it's needed
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 am

Stolen from the net

"The IMA coding is an industry standard: Injector Menge Abgleichung (injector Quantity Offset). When an injector goes through the OE test it generates an IMA code which identifies where in the tolerance range the needle and nozzle assembly fit, this allows the ECU to vary the fueling accordingly and optimize the engine performance. Failure to code in the injectors can result in several issues:

Performance – In some systems it may be possible to drive away and not notice any difference. In reality, if the injectors have not been coded, it is unlikely that the customer will be getting the optimum performance from the vehicle and may well end up back at the garage with an increase in fuel consumption or black smoke etc.
Non start – In newer systems if you do not code in the injectors the vehicle will not start
Poor / lumpy running – as the injectors are not coded, the ECU will carry on fueling as if the previous injector was still present, which can cause poor performance. The engine management light is also likely to come on necessitating another visit to the garage. "

Link
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/look-die ... inny-patel

Im sure their is other takes on it
Stoneman

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Its amazing how 'busy' the ECU is from turning the key.

The simplest analogy of the coding is too look at it like a sound equaliser, setting up each cylinder's fuelling to equal the others as a starting reference. Then the ECU is doing micro adjustments after each cylinder firing by measuring if the crank has sped up or slowed down compared to the previous cylinder's combustion and 'tweaks' fueling.

Basically we're stuffed at the next nuclear war when the electromagnetic pulse comes - fried ECU=mooring block!

Ole Fergy tractors will be valuable one day! :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 am

RHKTriton wrote:Its amazing how 'busy' the ECU is from turning the key.

The simplest analogy of the coding is too look at it like a sound equaliser, setting up each cylinder's fuelling to equal the others as a starting reference. Then the ECU is doing micro adjustments after each cylinder firing by measuring if the crank has sped up or slowed down compared to the previous cylinder's combustion and 'tweaks' fueling.

Basically we're stuffed at the next nuclear war when the electromagnetic pulse comes - fried ECU=mooring block!

Ole Fergy tractors will be valuable one day! :lol:

Your not wrong but I the same sense it also very basic.

I've heard wrapping the ECU in aliminuim wrap will foil any magnetic attack........get it?, foil! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two jokes in one, Cha Ching :D
Stoneman

Return to Fuel Systems