ML stalling at any time, speed, hot or cold

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

ML stalling at any time, speed, hot or cold

Postby teenymak on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Purchased an ML 2009 3.2TD triton told it had been put on diagnosis and throwing error code P0093 and U1073 they purchased it like that and couldn’t afford to get it fixed and were told it had the egr plate done but they took it off as they thought it might be causing the issue. So we’ve had it a week and what happens is driving along car is running pretty smoothly when it is running then will just die in the arse and you have to pull over take key out and it restarts fine. Did this 3 times in succession then all good for 100kms around small town driving. Went to adelaide yesterday did 200km and then she started doing it again in succession got another 100km running around Adelaide city and all good then on 3.5 hour trip home stopped multiple times again which was getting a bit dangerous to be honest. So we changed air filter, fuel filter put an electric pump in and still no joy.
Have ordered a suction control valve as someone said it may be that. Just the randomness of it surely it can be narrowed down somewhat so does anyone have any ideas?? Doing my head in and don’t want to take the car anywhere now
Last edited by teenymak on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
teenymak

Re: ML stalling at any time, speed, hot or cold

Postby Danevs12345 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:40 pm

You can try chucking a litre of 2 stroke in the fuel and see if it improves. If so it might be the fuel pressure regulator. My old triton used to die like that and it was the regulator. The "U" code might suggest it really could do with going on a MUT3 and see what mitsubishi say.
Danevs12345

Postby ag9111 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Does it coughy stutter or just die.
Just dying indicates electrical
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 am

i would be putting money on the rail sensor faulty easy to replace and cheap
or the connector going to it is loose
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby teenymak on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 am

Ag9111 nope no coughing spluttering just goes dead, loss of power steering so basic limp mode key out key back in and away you go till next time it does it. Runs great other than this
teenymak

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Definitely sounds electrical - which is good as solution usually cheaper.

Unlikely ECU if it can run normally

So start chasing the connectors on the various sensors, relays, loom connectors related to fueling, etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:44 pm

IF those codes are related to your problem then P0093 is fuel rail pressure loss as stated and U1073 is bus off or bus fail, basically a circuit integrity failure.
I agree with coughy in that is something to do with the fuel rail pressure sender
In order of likely hood
Connector is not seated on the sender properly.
Sender failure
Wiring fault somewhere else in the circuit or one of the other connectors between sender and ecu.
This is only IF those faults are related to the problem.
If that doesn't fix it then i suggest you take it somewhere and get those codes validated instead of taking somebody else's word for it and start from there
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 pm

has it got a chip or had one installed???
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Hey teenymak,

How you traveling with this?

Had code P0093 come up on me and my car died. Made it home but not before stalling at the round about down the road twice, and along our road twice, and then eventually 3 attempts to get up our 10m driveway :lol: :lol:

Fortunately i foresaw this happening, as I run high fuel pressure i was suffering from sudden loss of power when booting it around 100 clicks. Never thrown a code or died, but knew the rail limiter was shot and ordered a Hispec Rail limiter just before christmas, however due to the xmas and new year period and the fact i live in the pilbara, its taking an age to get here. So not even game to drive the triton to the shops until i get this sorted.

99% confident this will sort it, just wondering if you managed to sort yours?
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:30 pm

For those who finds this thread in the future, the hispec rail limiter 100 percent solved my issue.

No more P0093 and power loss!
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:04 am

Great outcome.

Be interesting the hear how general driving and economy go.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

Drivability has improved big time, no more flat spots around 100kmh when planting the right foot.

As for fuel economy, the first thing i did was fill up and reset the trip meter, buuut, i dont think its gonna be a fair representation of economy. Thanks to finding a few issues with the turbo and sorting it, i cant help but boot it now. Best check next tank :lol:
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 am

:lol: always a problem when I had petrol cars - performance is there to be consumed.

So what was happening with the turbo?

I screwed up the preload on mine as far as it would go soon after I got it.

What I'd like to tackle next is potential waste gate creep, ie keep it shut until approaching top end of boost range.

How much did the new limiter set you back?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:40 am

Turbo itself was fine, i was blaming alot of power loss on the rail limiter until i fitted the new one. Then i found turbo leaks everywhere :roll: .
Orings on the manual boost controller were shot, and fittings vibrated loose on boost controller. MAP hose to the sensor had a holes in it. The tee fitting in that line to my boost gauge was leaking as well as the 1/8 nylon hose to gauge had bent and cracked.

So tossed the tee fitting and drilled and tap into the manifold after the throttle valve next intake temp sensor. Replaced the map and gauge hose. Replaced oring and tighten the boost controller. Small leaks but made a huge difference. Got the turbo whistling again. Guted cause i started researching turbo upgrades and i was getting excited. :lol:

Waste gate creep sounds like a delicious idea, im guessing its not as simple as changing the actuator spring?

The rail limiter was 149 bucks from chip tuning. I really wanted to get it from tony but i can see hes super busy and i needed it nowish.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Yes plastic fittings and rubber hoses don't seem to be ideally suited for under the bonnet.

If/when I finally get to fitting my boost gauge, I was considering small copper tubing for the long runs and just use rubber/silicon hose for joining and movement allowance.

From what I've read over the last few years, a boost controller will delay the waste gate actuator operating fully, but as soon as there is any boost developing the waste gate can simply give a little and already bleed off some pressure early on. Ideally you want to keep the bugger sealed as long as possible until you get to the upper end of the boost range.

I've considered conventional springs, but they all have low tension initially and load up as compressed or stretched - opposite to what I want.

This leads to magnets, high pulling power close up with reduction in pulling force as distance increases. So what I want to try, is a magnetic setup that keeps the waste gate sealed and then cracks it at about 2/3 boost, where normal actuator, etc, takes effect.

Then, you want to cap the MAP sensor output to prevent limpys, but still allow it to kick in at a preset maximum boost to protect the works.

Probably want a chip at this stage to allow some extra juice as well.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Hmm thats very interesting, are you thinking along the lines of a solenoid controlled wastegate?

In terms of chip, if i had my time again, wouldve gone with the ECU remap instead. Alot cleaner installation with no wires, harnesses and module, poor contact on the commonrail plug seems to be a theme with these. But mostly the customisation, stuck with chip it chip that no one tunes anymore.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems