ML 2008 3.5 V6 GLXR - poor tower - Is it just me?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

ML 2008 3.5 V6 GLXR - poor tower - Is it just me?

Postby alex_ml_triton_v6 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:25 pm

My ML 2008 3.5L V6 GLXR is generally a great ute and well looked after / serviced/ maintained.
BUT
Towing is a major PITA. she's fine on the flat but small inclines pulls us up real quick and going up larger hills like Mt Vic, My White, Mt Ousley etc can often get me back to first and second gear pushing 30 km/h and big long hills in summer gets too hot. There's still some accelerator pedal left to play with but pushing it down does nothing - and once i get to first, then what's the point ?

I'm only towing a small camper of about 700KG (no extras/water in it) - and maybe 200KG (Tops!) in my tub/cab (OK and also 2 adults and 3 younger kids so maybe another 300 or so there).
She WILL heat up as well but only when we get into the 40's and MOSTLY cools back down when back to coasting the flats again (generally it feels/smells hot in normal driving but is running happily around 95 degrees )

This towing issue isn't something new or something that's just happened - has been like this since i bought it 3 or 4 years back. I've replaced plugs and filters and made NO difference. Fuel is generally around 15L/100KM - tad higher when towing, tad lower when not.

I'd prefer to keep keep the car knowing that's it's been looked after and it IS a great 4wd'er with great low end power but with a trip around Tassie coming up next year which i want to take my camper on, I'm trying to work out if this is something that's fixable - or is the ute just rubbish for towing?!

Is this a known issue? Any way to improve it ?
alex_ml_triton_v6

Re: ML 2008 3.5 V6 GLXR - poor tower - Is it just me?

Postby alex_ml_triton_v6 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Back to towing over the Aust long weekend - outside temps were only 32 degrees and was stuck in holiday traffic. Temp started climbing after 10 mins of stop/start/idle traffic. I put the heater and fan on full and temp happily came back to normal within a minute and no heat issue after that. (I've found that if i 'catch it' when climbing only 1 notch on the gauge then i can get it back under control - anything more than that then i either need to get some air moving by driving or pull over and wait it out.

I suspect the viscous fan at this point but not sure how best to know without replacing it !?

But interestingly, even after stopping the car after finishing the trip within normal temps), it SMELT hot. No oil or water used though.
I do still same issue with towing as well - chugging up the hill near Moonee Moonee bridge southbound at about 40-50kmh ! but i can live with that if i have to as long as i can get the heat issue under control :cry:
alex_ml_triton_v6

Return to Fuel Systems