Fuel Injector Calibration Codes

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Injector Calibration Codes

Postby BassMan_720 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi All

A long story to follow with a simple but, perhaps, not easily answered query.

I live in a remote part of the Philippines, so I have no direct access to dealers technology or properly trained mechanics.

I bought my 2013 Strada GLS fitted with a 2,5 4D56 16v diesel engine in June 2020. I got it for a reasonable price (for the Philippines, which has very high used car values). The previous owner was a retired lady doctor who had recently retired to my island. The car had a comprehensive service history from Mitsubishi in Cebu.

The car became due for a timing belt replacement. Spare parts here are a bit hit and miss and rely on having samples to compare what is available. Part Nos have no meaning. I was looking at 8 to 12 weeks to obtain parts from the main dealer in Manila. Also, I am very busy and my time is at a premium. So I put my trust in a, highly recommended, local mechanic to do a full service, including the timing belt replacement. He assured me that he was familiar with the job. The belts that were removed showed no adverse degradation or wear and would have been good for many thousands of km more. The job was done and all worked well for almost exactly 3000km, when the balance belt failed and took out the main belt. The engine was wrecked, there were two broken exhaust rockers on cylinder 1 and something very wrong with cylinder three, which was totally destroyed by an unidentified foreign object that had found it's way into the cylinder, bent all four valves and made the surface of the piston and cylinder head look like the surface of the moon. In looking at the belt replacement, all looked well. All of the necessary parts had been replaced by what were supposed to be genuine Mitsubishi parts. I put the premature failure down to a fake, substandard belt (not unusual here). The markings on the belt looked like genuine Mitsubishi but the lettering was coloured green rather than white, as I later found out it should have been.

Anyway, my recommended mechanic, whom I was still trusting, pointed me to a local machine shop who would build up the damage to the cylinder head and do the necessary machining to as good as new. So I placed my order with Mitsubishi for a piston and the delicate parts and sent off the head to be refurbished. I was not happy with what was returned. the head was nice and flat but was not properly fettled around the four ports of the damaged cylinder. Far too much material had been taken off the head, which caused the valves to extend into the cylinders and become an interference fit with the pistons. I could have had the valve seats re-machined to provide the right clearances but the results would not have been right. Anyhow, at great expense, I managed to find a brand new, fully assembled cylinder head in a shop in Manila, which is now three weeks into it's way to me, along with all the necessary parts and tools to rebuild the engine properly.

So, what is my problem? In checking the parts removed from the engine, I find that my mechanic had not marked up the fuel injectors, or anything else for that matter. All are good but I don't know which cylinders they belong to. This is where I fell out with my mechanic and kicked him off the job. He swore to me that they were all the same and didn't need to be installed in the same place. Temper was lost and I am now blacklisted by all the local mechanics.

So, my very simple question: is there any software out there that can read the injector calibration codes from the ECU using OBC2? I don't need to reprogram because I have all of the removed injectors which are registered in the ECU. I just need to be able to read the original values. I have spent a fortune on this engine now and I don't really want to spend a fortune on a professional scanner/programmer that I am unlikely to use again.

I have a couple of the standard android based ODB2 tools but the calibration codes are not shown as a standard feature. One of my software tools can be used as a terminal. Is there a way to interrogate the ECU using basic calls?

Long message, short question.

Steve
BassMan_720

Re: Fuel Injector Calibration Codes

Postby BassMan_720 on Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Bump!

I know this can be done. There is software out there that will read, and reportedly reprogram injector codes, e.g. Garage Pro. the versions that will read the codes comes in at $300. I don't want to pay more than a trip to the main dealer would cost, if I could get to one.

I still don't know where the injector code information is held. Is it held in the OBD Mode 09 PID 04 which lists Calibration IDs or is it stored elsewhere, perhaps queried via CAN?

I've searched high and low for this information.
BassMan_720

Postby BassMan_720 on Sat May 01, 2021 3:42 pm

Ha!

I've found just the job and it works a treat.

NMPS Diag is Russian software by a company concerningly named Auto Mistake. It has an English language option in the menu. It's not a free download but it was low cost enough to download to give it a try.

It is very basic and very simple. It is specific to the following vehicles:
- NMPS 2 (kh #) with engines 4D56,4M41
- NMPS 3 (ks1 #) with 4N15 engine
- Pajero IV with 4M41 engine
- Delica D5 with 4N14 engine
- Outlander with 4N14 engine

It read the injector codes for my 2013 Strada GLS 2500 4D56 no problem. Not tried it yet but it claims to be able to do lots of other things as follows:

1. Test of the ELM327 adapter for suitability to work with the program.
2. Reading and deleting errors on the main control units.
3. Reading and deleting errors by OBD protocol.
4. Control of the current parameters of the engine.
5. Control of injector correction values.
6. Registration of ID injectors after their replacement.
7. Carrying out an injector test.
8. Learning to small injection.
9. Teaching the injection pump valve.
10. Control of fuel leaks.
11. Special. functions for automatic transmission.
12. Control of pressure and temperature in tires.
13. Registration of new tire pressure sensors.
14. Correction of the output of data on tire pressure in the program, after rearranging the wheels.
15. Calibration of the rudder position sensor.
16. Monitoring the parameters of the particulate filter (DPF).
17. Carrying out forced DPF regeneration.
18. Oil change service for engines with DPF.
19. Possibility of registration of original sensors
tire pressure
20. Parameter control ABS NMPS2

I'll have a go at the small quantity injection learning, after the rebuild.

Regards

Steve
BassMan_720

Postby Toon_D on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:28 am

BassMan_720 wrote:Ha!

I've found just the job and it works a treat.

NMPS Diag is Russian software by a company concerningly named Auto Mistake. It has an English language option in the menu. It's not a free download but it was low cost enough to download to give it a try.

It is very basic and very simple. It is specific to the following vehicles:
- NMPS 2 (kh #) with engines 4D56,4M41
- NMPS 3 (ks1 #) with 4N15 engine
- Pajero IV with 4M41 engine
- Delica D5 with 4N14 engine
- Outlander with 4N14 engine

It read the injector codes for my 2013 Strada GLS 2500 4D56 no problem. Not tried it yet but it claims to be able to do lots of other things as follows:

1. Test of the ELM327 adapter for suitability to work with the program.
2. Reading and deleting errors on the main control units.
3. Reading and deleting errors by OBD protocol.
4. Control of the current parameters of the engine.
5. Control of injector correction values.
6. Registration of ID injectors after their replacement.
7. Carrying out an injector test.
8. Learning to small injection.
9. Teaching the injection pump valve.
10. Control of fuel leaks.
11. Special. functions for automatic transmission.
12. Control of pressure and temperature in tires.
13. Registration of new tire pressure sensors.
14. Correction of the output of data on tire pressure in the program, after rearranging the wheels.
15. Calibration of the rudder position sensor.
16. Monitoring the parameters of the particulate filter (DPF).
17. Carrying out forced DPF regeneration.
18. Oil change service for engines with DPF.
19. Possibility of registration of original sensors
tire pressure
20. Parameter control ABS NMPS2

I'll have a go at the small quantity injection learning, after the rebuild.

Regards

Steve

Hey Steve,

Was the small quantity injection learning succesful with the NMPS Diag app?

Thanks for the useful info!

Gr Toon
Toon_D

Return to Fuel Systems