Dealer Issue - EGR

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Dealer Issue - EGR

Postby BrockO on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:33 am

Gents,

2007 ML 3.2 w 230,000ks, manifolds have been clean and have had a catch can since 2008.

So had limp mode issues, these intermittent on take off only would not go over 1600rpms, could turn the ignition off then on and the car would drive off as per normal, no power loss etc.

First error code was SCV, so replaced that, second time over the years but this still didn't fix the issues, had a small injector learn done, no change. Eventually took it to the dealer, they stated the SCV will need to be programmed as such for the ECU to read it.

So $180 that's done, they tell me the EGR is gone and offer a replacement at $1000 for which I rejected, I've had the EGR out prior for a clean, so said I will sort the EGR valve.

Here's the thing, after leaving the dealer the car no longer has any limp issues but now has zero power over 2500rpm's it just bellows smoke. Phoned them straight back they stated yes that's because the EGR isn't working, I said it wasn't doing this before I brought it in.

Purchased a Munji EGR delete cable, that made no difference, 3 weeks later I have now installed a new solenoid valve to the EGR but still no difference, had another small workshop clear the present and old codes, one being MAF sensor, so replaced that also just to rule it out but still no difference. The only code to come back is the EGR P2413

Does the EGR need to be programmed in as per the SCV ?, I've read the EGR thread topics and there's no mention of this that I can find.

Took it back to the dealer yesterday explained again the issue and that its only been since they had it, now booked in for a plug and ply on Monday but am worried what shit they will pull next.

Any ideas appreciated.

Brock
BrockO

Re: Dealer Issue - EGR

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:13 pm

Programming SCV? This is a dumb device, no programming involved, purely modulated to maintain required fuel demands downstream.

The EGR may have a position sensor to feed back how open it is. Have to check manual to verify. If so, this could also be crook.

Have you checked connectors on MAP, MAF, etc?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BrockO on Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:05 pm

Yes agree, that's what the young service agent said, as I mentioned I've changed the SCV previously for no issues. He stated they would do a reset of some sort on the ECU at the same time.

Different bloke that just booked it in stated the positioning of the EGR as you mention, so hopefully that's an easy calibration for them or though I'm worried as he asked if it was a genuine part (No its not). It just gets me it wasn't doing this until there had it.

I've just replaced the MAF sensor as a code was existing so that should be fine, just changed the small hoses on the MAP sensor but they looked fine no blockages or codes existing.
BrockO

Postby BrockO on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:20 pm

New OEM EGR fitted, engine light off but no fix to the power loss. Even put a new Ryco fuel filter in just to rule that out.

Had it in to a different dealer Friday, he cleared the codes did a pile of checks and driving around with computer connected, main one being a relearn on the fuel pump as pressure was well under, Improvement at first but now still very flat through 2nd gear with some surging in 3rd.

hunt for a fix continues.

RHKT...quite a bit in here on the SCV relearn, by the factory service manual I have it states in there also. Weird though as I stated above, have replaced these before without issue.
BrockO

Postby BrockO on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:11 am

While sharpening my dart skills in the shed Saturday night over a whisky I decided to pull down my old SCV and give it a clean with some throttle body cleaner, very quick rub with some wet and dry paper as per the sticky thread.

Thought Ill pull the new valve installed and replace with the old just to rule it out...Not sure how the dirt has been introduced, especially the size of it but no wonder it wasn't performing.

Wooo what a difference..it did have some hesitation for the first bit but what ever was left it there has cleared itself now, the car is now running at full power.

Massive difference since cleaning the manifolds, new K&N air & fuel filter...she pulls hard to 4k with zero smoke :D

https://ibb.co/7rTC5Pr
https://ibb.co/7bXCs5q
BrockO

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:16 am

Good result mate. I had a new scv that just didn't perform and ended up replacing it. I believe it may have been a knock off.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:11 pm

Dosing 200mm of 2stroke with each tank fill seems to have mitigated any repeating SCV issues. Touch wood.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BrockO on Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:23 pm

Cheers LR...both are ebay cheapies. Cant see how this crap has got past the fuel filter so can only think I've introduced it during the removal and check I completed during the manifold clean. My bad.

Touch wood it keeps clean and last a bit longer, I've since cleaned the new one which was removed so that's ready as required. I really should be spending more but times past had me on a limit.

RHK, I have read that...plus help to the fuel pump also. I bought a 200ml bottle of the standard 2 stk oil (green keeper) type to try prior to finding this fix. A little reluctant to but will throw it in on the next full tank to give everything a lube. Never had issues since new so don't see the massive gain from it going forward.

FB today showed a guy with an 07 model fitting a pre fuel filter set up...also covered on this site, again never had an issue since new when replacing fuel filter every service. So again don't see I real gain in that one either.

Touch wood..
BrockO

Return to Fuel Systems