poor fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

poor fuel economy

Postby GLSTOY on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 pm

hey guys/ girls,
just had the ute lifted on wednesday, creaking suspension straight away guessing its just the springs setting in, main problem is since lifting my ute 10mm front, 20mm back, (old man emu kit) have started using more fuel, use to be average of 8.4 litres/ 100km since lift 9.5 litres/ 100km, engine had a flat spot earlier today, any one had any problems like this, what do you think could be the cause of this. only done 26000 km
GLSTOY

Re: poor fuel economy

Postby Naff on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 pm

coincedence? hard to imagine why a small lift like that would affect your fuel. When you say Wednesday, do you mean yesterday? Did you use a full tank of fuel in one day? Might be too early to tell properly. Don't work off the onboard fuel meter - it isn't very accurate over short term.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 am

being higher, your wind resistance has probably increased as well :twisted:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby patto on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am

You also will find that with a lift that your tank will not be sitting level with the ground, and this will throw out your fuel sender - my fuel light comes on after i have done around 520km however you fill it up and i will only put 55 odd litres into it meaning that there is really still 20 off litres still in the tank which is good for anothe 180km..

I was getting around 600km prior to lift being installed, after it dropped to 500 - 530km
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 am

patto wrote:You also will find that with a lift that your tank will not be sitting level with the ground, and this will throw out your fuel sender - my fuel light comes on after i have done around 520km however you fill it up and i will only put 55 odd litres into it meaning that there is really still 20 off litres still in the tank which is good for anothe 180km..

I was getting around 600km prior to lift being installed, after it dropped to 500 - 530km

Now that certianly clears something up for me.
I never had the vehicle without a lift (and also got rid of the Mitsubishi cumputer) before delivery, SO when the fuel light comes on it is usually around 530kms (and everyone else says they can get 600kms or more)

SO I have a larger safety factor- seems like I have to fill it every week, based on the fuel light
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Greedy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 am

4wd26 wrote:SO I have a larger safety factor- seems like I have to fill it every week, based on the fuel light

All you need to remember is the tank is 75 ltr. I'm sure you have some idea of your mileage so pretty simple to work out how much left when the light comes on. Mine comes on as the book says. :o 11 ltrs left and usually about 610km. 2" lift as well but the car is still reasonably level.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:32 am

Greedy wrote:
4wd26 wrote:SO I have a larger safety factor- seems like I have to fill it every week, based on the fuel light

All you need to remember is the tank is 75 ltr. I'm sure you have some idea of your mileage so pretty simple to work out how much left when the light comes on. Mine comes on as the book says. :o 11 ltrs left and usually about 610km. 2" lift as well but the car is still reasonably level.

Never- ever, been able to get more than 70 lts in. Often wondered if the tank size was correct. I have read a few posts in the past that other people have also struggled to get in over 70 lts.

Have to be careful now as I have changed the suspension again, so things will be different. Thats what I was saying.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Greedy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 am

I can vouch for at least 74ltrs. Did this once towing the camper. Had the sphincter puckering. :oops:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 am

Ditto Greedy - I've gotten 74 litres into mine as well :?
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 am

Good one Subi, you can come up with the fuel tank litreage just like that.......but the water tank????? :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 am

I've never put more than 123l in mine... 8-)
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby patto on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Yeh my truck has some sag in the front end and the lack of levelness is noticable. Since my lift and bar went in i was under the assumption i was sucking down the juice aswell untill i started looking at my fuel dockets and a realised what was going on. I have always said i would run her dry to see what milage i get out of it, got a full jerey in the back, but the last thing i want is to break down in the middle of peak hour in Sydney, and be stuck there priming the motor.

I think that will piss a few people off. :D
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby Naff on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:39 pm

So... when you lift the car say an inch, you are lifting the sender within the tank higher also? Would suggest it is some sort of float or capacitance type unit?

So with the 3" lift the fuel sender must be way off.

That explains the trip computer and needle being out. But with the original question and that 20mm lift.. surely he wouldn't be using an additional litre with that sort of lift?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems