How often to drain water from the diesel fuel system?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

How often to drain water from the diesel fuel system?

Postby al1231234 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:58 am

It`s my second day with my new triton, mitsubishi mechanic recomended me to drain water from diesel filter every week or sooner, how often do you drain your diesel filters? and; is it a good idea to wait until warning ligth shows?
al1231234

Re: How often to drain water from the diesel fuel system?

Postby amalinze on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:39 am

Did they??? whoops. No one mentioned that... I was just waiting for the light, or expected it done at the 7500 services.
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby subi_man on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 am

I\ve never drained mine in 70,000km, just had the filter changed at the normal intervals :?:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 am

every week or sooner!!

geez where are you getting your diesel from - a swimming pool? :o

on very rare occasions service stations can sell fuel with water (happened to my old man once, the water flooded in through the ground level tank fill at the servo - but they repaired his car at their cost).

generally this should not be a problem. outback travellers who rely on fuel drum drops sometimes say water can get in and you would keep a close eye on your fuel quality in these circumstances.

That is how large quantities of water will get in. if this occurs even a weekly check wont be enough as if it draws it from the tank it will happen fast. i was not aware of a light on the dash but if it does come on don't waster too much time thinking about stopping the engine! (now going to read manual on this symbol thanks)

as fuel is used in normal driving the air replacing it naturally has water vapour in it but in very minor quantities. also as a tank naturally expands or contracts with temp changes this occurs but i dont think the quantities are anything to really worry about. not sure what the water trap capacity is on the triton but i have not heard any reports of problems.

dont get me wrong - it is a very good idea but i dont think weekly checks are required if purchasing your fuel from reputable service stations.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al1231234 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:02 pm

Or may be diesel is so bad here in mexico, any way I`ll wait for the first tank of fuel and make a drain and measure water in case I get any. I`ll keep forum informed
al1231234

Postby boo-ya on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Cant see it being aproblem, i do a couple thousand ks a week in the trucks i drive and never have water in the fuel. wouldnt even know where the drain valve is on the triton. :?
boo-ya

Postby Eelesy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:10 pm

boo-ya wrote:Cant see it being aproblem, i do a couple thousand ks a week in the trucks i drive and never have water in the fuel. wouldnt even know where the drain valve is on the triton. :?

under the fuel filter. just loosten a nut
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Quinny23 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 pm

No way should you need to check it that often unless you are filling up from a swimming pool... Every 5000 would be a frequent check...

If in doubt, get a secondary fuel filter with a glass bowl to put in prior to your factory filter... it'll catch the bigger stuff and allow you to easily check the quality of the fuel...

Whole unit cost $110 plus some hose and a 1 way valve. Without the valve you'll get fuel draining back into the tank and the car will run then stop after a few seconds...

Click to view larger picture
They are really pretty cool, they come with 2 inlets and 2 outlets, 1 each on either side so you can really go nuts as far as placement goes...

Here's a shot fo the fuel line runs... (Warning, the following content has been deemed "redneck" by the Mitsu advisory board, all car should be taken when viewing the inside of a Hilux - Unless your a proctologist venture down at your own peril)

Click to view larger picture
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby boo-ya on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:34 pm

under the fuel filter. just loosten a nut

Thanks Eelsey.I should get under there and have a look one day. Know the fuel filter was replaced at the 60thou service so should be good for another 60thou. :)
boo-ya

Postby Homer on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:02 am

That's cheap for a water drain/strainer...same thing I ran on my Nissan. Made fuel filter changes all but obsolete and was good piece of mind considering fuel quality is one of the more important aspects of a diesel.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby al1231234 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am

Big truck drivers here in Mexico told me they drain every day before start working and they drain off about 100ml of water after 500 liters of diesel used, for me it would be every 7 or 8 tanks of fuel used. I will see and measure it carefuly.
al1231234

Postby Quinny23 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am

If that truely is the case... I'd recomend putting in a second filter with a glass bowl.... much easier to eyeball it every fill...

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 pm

wow and we thought our diesel was bad.......... :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:13 pm

snowman wrote:wow and we thought our diesel was bad.......... :o

It'd wanna be cheap as your only getting half diesel half water by the sounds of it...

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby al1231234 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:10 am

First drain of water produced zero water at 500 kms drove, 9.8 kpl in case any is interested, also my first stuck in the mud
al1231234

Postby bobtriton on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:54 pm

No water from filter yet, truck is reaching 8000 kilometers, I just stop worring about it. I guess the source of my diesel is cleaner than filling up in diferent gas stations, I fill up at company`s own diesel tank, I guess is cleaner than big diesel stations. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bobtriton

Postby bobtriton on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 am

No water from filter so far, I never fill at gas station, but from diesel container at work. Maybe this help to keep it dry, so far not a single drop, I have checked twice and not find but diesel in the can, I wait for warning ligth, I think I got a clean souce of diesel. :)
bobtriton

Return to Fuel Systems