Fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel economy with 265 70 R17

Postby Tarts on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Hello all, picked up my brand spanker GLXR During the week. Just wondering, i want to upgrade to an allterrain tyre and go up in size. But im really wanting to keep the fuel economy the same. It has 245 65 17 dueler ht's standard but want to go to a 265 65 17 or 265 70 17. Anyone have any reports? Thanks
Tarts

Re: Fuel economy with 265 70 R17

Postby RobbieO on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 pm

went from 9.3l / 100ks to 11.5l / 100ks. killed bottom end power, sorta love em may consider swapping down to 265 65 17 after I wear these ones out
RobbieO

Re: Fuel economy with 265 70 R17

Postby biggibbo on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Try the fuel economy thread. Plenty of info there. You will cost about 1l per 100km
biggibbo

Re: Fuel economy

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Yes, tarts question was identical to the first post in this thread. Merged.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Fuel economy - PB Challenger - terrible

Postby red dragin on Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Friends have a PB 2010 Challenger with the Auto. About 115,000 on the clock.

They've seen a dramatic reduction in fuel economy from ~700km to the fuel light, to just 350km to the light.

So far we've found the turbo to inter cooler hose off, but fixing that has not changed it. Aside from a potentially blocked intake manifold, any other places to check out?

Seems to go ok based on the seat of pants dyno (compared to my 2015 Triton), no noticeable black smoke, leaks etc.

Trying to eliminate easier options before pulling the manifold off. Even prepared to switch parts between our cars if need be.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

Clean the MAF, check for fuel leaks
L200Shogun

Postby coughy on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:18 pm

change fuel filter
do sql
relearn the auto
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:11 pm

coughy wrote:change fuel filter
do sql
relearn the auto

Presumably the last two are stealer only? It was last serviced by a Mitsi dealer but we won't make assumption on what was actually done.

red dragin

Postby leonbee on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Maybe Got a dose of the winter diesel bug :shock: Stick ya nose in the fuel tank and give a big sniff for rotten egg gas. Give that fuel filter a good sniff as well :lol:

SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF MICHAEL TURN BULL
leonbee

Postby coughy on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:27 pm

do you have a way to measure the boost it is doing??
imho i think as the autos get a bit of wear in them they slip more as they are a hi slip auto from the start and the economy goes to shit
the dealer can clear the auto self learning parameters to start over again i have been told by a nother forum member that the car drives much better after the clearing of the auto eprom
i havent had the luck of that YET im working on it and the tool to do it

mine has been a pig from the start in absoulutly stock form i was and still only get 450kms to a tank it is a tirsty pig but ive learnt to deal with it so i just mod it now and gett better performance and still use same fuel
but dam it goes good now lol just the auto i need to play with next

as for the intake m8 those kms i would get it done as if no catch can and egr blocking device it will be blocked for sure i reckon
just remove the throttle body hose from intercooler and look inside with a good light source u will see lots of dirt in there..
is the map sensor port blocked?? pull of hose little vacum one and see if the port in manifold is free poke a paper clip in the port on the manifold to see if the port is blocked

let me know what u find m8
there is a forum sponsor on here that does exchange manifolds for cleaned for $500 and u get the $250 back when send your in exchange...
if that helps
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:36 pm

What do u peoples think of the new BP diesel Dirt busting active Technology. You can get 50km more per tank :?

Here is the spill..

http://www.bp.com/en_za/on-the-road/sou ... ology.html
leonbee

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 am

The additives that fuel companies put in fuels do actually work. Some a little better than others but more dependent on how much they put in.

Some years ago, well quite a few actually, Caltex had an additive that they put in their fuel that did the same thing as this BP "dirt busting" technology. Except that they put heaps of this CX3 in and it worked wonders. Cleaned carbies and inlet manifolds, even reduced build-up inside the combustion chamber. Trick was to fill up with Caltex and take the car for a good long country run. Then, ideally, do it again. After a while the thing would cough and splutter a bit then, like magic it would run like new. It was so good that the chemist at the fuel company I worked for, which was not Caltex, recommended it for most of the usual symptoms resulting from gum, sludge and carbon build-up. :shock: There weren't many fuel injected vehicles around then, but it did the same for them.

So, I have no doubt that BP's product works, particularly if they've bumped the dosage up a bit. Give it a go but it may take a tank or two to show some results. Of course, if the fuel you've been using has a similar additive, or you've been using an injector cleaner, then the result won't be so noticeable. So, unless you were to pull the injectors out and test them you probably won't ever know. But if this BP fuel is no more expensive than the alternative you have nothing to lose......unless your current supplier puts in more or has a better package. Only way to find that out would be to have each fuel independently analysed. Shouldn't cost all that much and you can repay the cost with the $5/tank you'll save, if there is a significant difference. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby red dragin on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:26 am

coughy wrote:do you have a way to measure the boost it is doing??
imho i think as the autos get a bit of wear in them they slip more as they are a hi slip auto from the start and the economy goes to shit
the dealer can clear the auto self learning parameters to start over again i have been told by a nother forum member that the car drives much better after the clearing of the auto eprom
i havent had the luck of that YET im working on it and the tool to do it

mine has been a pig from the start in absoulutly stock form i was and still only get 450kms to a tank it is a tirsty pig but ive learnt to deal with it so i just mod it now and gett better performance and still use same fuel
but dam it goes good now lol just the auto i need to play with next

as for the intake m8 those kms i would get it done as if no catch can and egr blocking device it will be blocked for sure i reckon
just remove the throttle body hose from intercooler and look inside with a good light source u will see lots of dirt in there..
is the map sensor port blocked?? pull of hose little vacum one and see if the port in manifold is free poke a paper clip in the port on the manifold to see if the port is blocked

let me know what u find m8
there is a forum sponsor on here that does exchange manifolds for cleaned for $500 and u get the $250 back when send your in exchange...
if that helps

Well I know what I'm doing this weekend. :D

They are tight for cash at the moment, so wanted to eliminate cheaper things before pulling the manifold and them having to buy gaskets. Will have a sticky beak, might check mine and see what 15000km of build up looks like too.

I'm a son of a mechanic, so got no issues getting dirty. The owner is a sparky, best supervised around spanners :lol:

red dragin

Postby red dragin on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:28 pm

coughy wrote:let me know what u find m8

The exposed wire on the AFM was about three times its original size in gunk - the whole assembly is now all cleaned.

The MAP tube was clear, some residue in the port but likely not blocked

A peak down the throttle body revealed a nice thick carbon deposit on the curve - gaskets and beer to be organised.

Will be interesting to see if the clean AFM has an impact.

red dragin

Postby red dragin on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:17 am

red dragin wrote:
coughy wrote:let me know what u find m8

The exposed wire on the AFM was about three times its original size in gunk - the whole assembly is now all cleaned.

The MAP tube was clear, some residue in the port but likely not blocked

A peak down the throttle body revealed a nice thick carbon deposit on the curve - gaskets and beer to be organised.

Will be interesting to see if the clean AFM has an impact.

So it wasn't all that bad, looks like it was cleaned recently. A ridiculous job having to remove most of the wiper section to get those back two nuts and a bolt!

Still seems very lacklustre, they'll let me know how it goes.

red dragin

Postby Sky Miner on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Just finished my 1st tank' bran new MQ single cab 2wd auto alloy tray not carrying anything
625k's n the light started flashing took 63ltr works out roughly 10.08 around town...meh that's about rite
I guess ;) Was getting high 10's with the MN awhile back so no surprises really.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby mowerman on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 pm

2008 ML 3.2
134000 on the clock.
Just finished a 12 day 4750k trip Bris to Cairns,a bit of touring and back the back way thru Charters Towers and Emerald.
Towing 1.5 ton of camper trailer.
665 liters of diesel works out to about 14 liter per 100.
Happy with that.
Rod.
mowerman

Postby bigboots on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Just did a trip from Swan Hill across to Streaky Bay, up to Tennant Creek and then back via Mt Isa (Kidman Way) to Bacchus Marsh with a 17ft Jayco poptop behind and according to my calculations we averaged just over 12L/100km for the 8500km trip. Better than I thought because while towing, the computer was showing between 14-15L/100km. Did some Km without van but most was with van attached. MQ Triton with stock standard equipment (canopy added). Wind was the biggest problem and probably could have done better without head or cross winds. Was happy with fuel economy though.
bigboots

Postby paddlingfool on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Just did 20,000 k around oz towing 2 ton, average was 21 litres per 100.had 2 services and they claim nothing wrong. Never going to Mitubishi again.
paddlingfool

Postby bigboots on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm

paddlingfool wrote:Just did 20,000 k around oz towing 2 ton, average was 21 litres per 100.had 2 services and they claim nothing wrong. Never going to Mitubishi again.
What speeds were you doing. Found that the MQ was most economical at between 90 and 95km/hr?
bigboots

Postby paddlingfool on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am

bigboots wrote:
paddlingfool wrote:Just did 20,000 k around oz towing 2 ton, average was 21 litres per 100.had 2 services and they claim nothing wrong. Never going to Mitubishi again.
What speeds were you doing. Found that the MQ was most economical at between 90 and 95km/hr?

85 to 90
paddlingfool

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Brakes dragging? Tyres too low?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ragnarok on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:09 pm

2014 mn pretty much stock getting around 10/100L going by odometer and bowser.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ragnarok

Postby peter9231 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm

2014 MN also,
EGR resistor
Catch can
Wind booster throttle controller
9.5L per hundred every tank.
peter9231
Platinum Subscriber

05 duelcab glxr 5spd v6 fuel economy

Postby Rustyred73 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:47 pm

G'day, properly a question been discussed a 100 time's over but here goe's .
Currently own an 05 glxr triton 3.0 petrol 5spd running 265/70/17 only mod
is wildcat extractor's to the exhaust which is stock. Have spoken to a few
4x4 mechanic about diff ratios & tryre sizes etc .

246kms recentlty serviced knowing fuel economy is not great but @
Speed's of 100k's doing 3150rpm in 5th on hwy . Only really beach work
& towing 16ft fibreglass boat on occasion, average 375 to 450k's to a tank
daily driving. Cheer's.
Rustyred73

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems