Fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Your comments re fuel consumption

Postby trouble on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 pm

MLTRIT08 wrote:just wait untill ya lift it and put some bigger tyres on, my fuel econonmy is now sitting on 12l / 100kms

12?!?!?!?!?!
Well I just got back from a 5k trip 40/60 dirt/bitumen with all tyres on 25psi (including CT) and managed an average of 13.4. 2" lift all round bar work and larger tyres, sitting on or around 90-100kph. Im happy with that!!! :) ;)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Re: Your comments re fuel consumption

Postby mjc85 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 am

helicopter7 wrote:So, our new MN 2.5 L 5 speed auto dual cab went out for its first trip this weekend to Nelson Bay and back travelling 462 km and using 44.8l.

That's 9.69 l/100km which somehow does not correlate too well with the advertised combined fuel ecconomy of 9.6l/100km for the 5 speed auto.

Load wise was 4 people and minor luggage sitting on 110km using cruise control.

Is this consumption normal? I know its pulling almost 2 tons + passengers etc so I was simply wondering if this is typical
as I expected highway driving to be a little better than 9.69l/100km in order to get close to Mitsubishi's adverstised 9.6l/100 combined cycle.

cheers

That is great economy for the Auto, Best I have got is 12L/100km, and have had two tanks as high as 15L/100km :evil:
White Auto MN Triton

Baysies Bash Plates
Rhino Lining
Coopers ST 245/70R17
Wet Seat Covers

First tank of diesel 502km from 60L = 11.95L/100km

Plenty of mods to come (how bad will the consumption get with barwork etc?) :\
mjc85

Re: Fuel economy

Postby MN25DT on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 pm

I have just under 4000km on my new MN Auto GLX-R. I have been getting better economy through every tank with the worst (first tank) being 9.8L/100km & the last tank being 8.2L/100km

I am yet to take it on a long trip to find out how good it goes on the highway. Im stoked with it so far. :D
MN25DT

Postby helicopter7 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:58 am

MN25DT wrote:I have just under 4000km on my new MN Auto GLX-R. I have been getting better economy through every tank with the worst (first tank) being 9.8L/100km & the last tank being 8.2L/100km

I am yet to take it on a long trip to find out how good it goes on the highway. Im stoked with it so far. :D

Wow!

Thats better than 700km per full tank, your doing well MN25DT.

During city driving, after filling up to the max, my low fuel warning lamp comes on at about 520km, and after refilling
usually with about 62L that equates to around 11.9L/100km, so your 8.2L/100km is quite impressive.

I must say even if I drive mine slower than drunk turtle I cannot get even close to your figures.
Proof is as I already mentioned during my trip last week to Nelson Bay which was 95% highway driving and only got about 9.6L/100km.

Even taking driving style into consideration, this doesn't explain what can be causing these very large discrepancies on identical cars............. :?: I can accept say +/- 50km per tank but here we are talking about +200km per tank. :evil:

Perhaps engine build tolerances are the cause?

cheers
helicopter7

Postby borngeek on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 am

I am getting consistant 11.5 (Mainly city 80% 20% freeway) last 6 months.

When new first few tanks were 10's. Then crept to 10.5 then 11... You get the story. Mine is 12months old (28,000km).
Highway (cruising no load 110 cruise) I can get 9's easy even broke into 8's for a tank. Nowadays 10's is it...

I am now starting to head towards 12 :shock:

Just had 30Km service so will see if helps over coming weeks/months.. :|

All in all it is very economical given the size. No worries about the yearly fuel bill for this vehicle. I have had some cars that would suck 12L at idle... :oops: mind you petrol was 1/3 the price too...
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pepelepew on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 am

These things do seem to loosen up a bit over time. Always calculate usage at the pump, that bloody display reads on mine around 1.5l/100 LESS than it's actually using (before i chipped/blanked). But the MN still surprises me every fill, though I wish I could get me a reasonably priced long range tank that'll work with the factory locker. Filling once a month would be a buzz :)
pepelepew

Postby MN25DT on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 pm

helicopter7 wrote:
MN25DT wrote:I have just under 4000km on my new MN Auto GLX-R. I have been getting better economy through every tank with the worst (first tank) being 9.8L/100km & the last tank being 8.2L/100km

Wow!

Thats better than 700km per full tank, your doing well MN25DT.

During city driving, after filling up to the max, my low fuel warning lamp comes on at about 520km, and after refilling
usually with about 62L that equates to around 11.9L/100km, so your 8.2L/100km is quite impressive.

I must say even if I drive mine slower than drunk turtle I cannot get even close to your figures.
Proof is as I already mentioned during my trip last week to Nelson Bay which was 95% highway driving and only got about 9.6L/100km.

Even taking driving style into consideration, this doesn't explain what can be causing these very large discrepancies on identical cars............. :?: I can accept say +/- 50km per tank but here we are talking about +200km per tank. :evil:

Perhaps engine build tolerances are the cause?

cheers

Just clocked over 620kms on my current tank this morning & i still have a 1/4 tank to go....i just assumed they would all run at about the some consumption levels (give or take a bit) but i couldn't believe the differences i have been reading in this thread....

Daniel.
MN25DT

Postby borngeek on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm

MN25DT : I agree with helicopter those are impressive figures for city driving (poor Daryn he will be crying)..

Update your shed and put up some pix when you get the chance ;) a location would be cool too 8-)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN25DT on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Update: 723km from 62lt = 8.6L/100km

Seems as though my efficiency increases since buying the car are starting to plateau - I'm still stoked with that for everyday driving. Should be doing a run down to Batemans Bay in mid August so I will update how i go.

Daniel.
MN25DT

Postby apoll on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:11 am

Here's mine:

ML 3.2l auto, 265/75/16 Mickies MTZ (speedo has been re-calibrated), 98% city driving - 12.5l/100km.
apoll

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:55 am

We all get sucked into the the economy debated but when you think about it - a possible extra 2 on 3 $ after driving 100k - not the end of the earth.

The killer costs are rego, insurance, maintenance and parking! Maintenance especially if you "dance" along with the dealer's tune.

I've had from 9.3 to high 11s over highway and local running around. Lately seems to be using more and I've been thinking that the winter formula they use for diesel may provide less energy. Will wait and see what the warmer weather brinigs.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:26 pm

RHKTriton wrote:The killer costs are rego, insurance, maintenance and parking! Maintenance especially if you "dance" along with the dealer's tune.

never a truer statement! + $MODS + $TOLLS + $FINES + :evil: = ....

edit:

just speaking with brother who's a truck driver...
the bosses are complaining that the new reduced sulfur (some now no sulfur) in diesel is reducing truck performance and increasing costs.... told me about some new regulations about emmissions and how the whole industry (from a bizo perspective) is looking at recouping the costs./.. look for increased transport costs soon! but more economical vehicles with less emmissions... (they may not be worried about performance so much)
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/au/fuel.php 2002- Jan 2009 (from 500ppm sulfur to 10ppm)
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/jp/fe.php remember who designs the tritons...

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Hay all, I have a ML09 V6 Petrol Manual GLXR pretty stock apart from the Canopy and rack until recently I have been averaging 13lt/100klm which I thought was ok but I have just put a set of Cooper ST’s (245/70/17) and have noticed a big jump in the juice used, it is up around the 15.5 mark on the first few tanks :shock: !

Does this sound right?
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Postby Kegsy on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:34 pm

My GLX, MN 2.5hp has returned 8.3 & 8.2L/100 on the last two tanks, and the tank before I wasn't sure as it was dealership filled to just under 1/2 tank.

Happy as larry with the economy ATM, and thats been driving 1/2 heavy traffic and 1/2 highway.

Can't wait to see how it goes when the ARB bars go on and some decent tyres.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby apoll on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:07 am

4x4fun wrote:Hay all, I have a ML09 V6 Petrol Manual GLXR pretty stock apart from the Canopy and rack until recently I have been averaging 13lt/100klm which I thought was ok but I have just put a set of Cooper ST’s (245/70/17) and have noticed a big jump in the juice used, it is up around the 15.5 mark on the first few tanks :shock: !

Does this sound right?

When I changed from the standard 245/70/16 HTs to 265/75/16 MTs, I noticed an increase of about 2l/100k. Probably a combination of speedo being more accurate, change in gearing and more rubber on the road.

Getting an ARB deluxe bar next week so will be interesting to see if that makes any difference.
apoll

Postby Diddy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 am

Im getting an avg of between 8.8 & jumps to 9ltrs per 100 klms when towing the 3 quads and all the bike gear and the family.and i run the following mods daily heavy duty ironman susp,265/70/17 muddies steel bar and winch and a big toolbox with my work gear in it. I guess every car runs different
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Try-it-on on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 am

I got 585kms from 60.8 Litres on my first tank when the fuel light came on. That's 104L/100kms if my maths is correct, and I'm pretty happy with that because I did give it the odd boot full from the lights to see how she drove, and that was 100% city driving.

This tank - it's second tank and with now about 900kms on the clock - is looking as if it will be better, but probably not massively better, but should get below the 10.0 by the look of it.

That's an MN Manual with Highline canopy that sits quite a bit above the roofline which can't be good for economy. It was really encouraging to have the fuel light come on with still 1/8th of a tank or so left, because the Patrol got right down to the final line on the gauge right at the E" mark, and still never had a light come on, so I have no idea if it even had a working light.

If this engine loosens up and starts giving even better economy, then I will be seriously happy.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby biggibbo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:23 pm

My MN Manual on its first 3 tanks is averaging 8.8 litres per 100 KM ( did give it a bootfull over the weekend) but more than happy with those figures, but the trip computer is spitting out slightly better consumption figures.
biggibbo

Postby Greedy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Try-it-on wrote:That's 104L/100kms if my maths is correct,

I'd suggest your maths is a little out. That gives a range of about 75km give or take on a full tank. :lol: May have missed a decimal point in there somewhere. :ugeek:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4x4fun on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Getting an ARB deluxe bar next week so will be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

Keep me posted i'm interested in the same bar, once i get all the ARB bar work, winch and ultimate lift i think i'll be getting the same as Try-it-on 104lt/100k :shock: ;)
4x4fun

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:29 pm

biggibbo wrote:My MN Manual on its first 3 tanks is averaging 8.8 litres per 100 KM ( did give it a bootfull over the weekend) but more than happy with those figures, but the trip computer is spitting out slightly better consumption figures.

Damn, that's a big difference.
I know I'm not the lightest foot in the world, but Canberra is half country town and half city, so my 10.4 seems disproportionately bad compared to your 8.8
My foot, and the canopy's lack of aerodynamics, doesn't really explain that kind of difference.
But that seems par for the course here, everyone is quoting some pretty major differences in fuel use.
You'd wonder if Mitsubishi get the engines and cars made in the same place with such huge variance from one vehicle to another.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Postby biggibbo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 am

My car is pretty much stock with a soft tonneau. I've got the chip but won't put it back in till I hit 5000 km. Most of my driving is Highway (Newcastle to Pennant Hills daily). I'm finding if i stick to 105 km or less I can get about 820km out of a tank, but if I do the 110 km speed limit I only get about 700 km (big difference). Looks like the sweet spot for mine at cruise is 105 km (just off boost I'm thinking??) The amount of fuel and $ I save is making me drive like a granny.

Wondering if the Chip-It guys can give me a tune that will reduce power (sounds crazy I know) and fuel consumption for my daily commute and dial it back up for the weekends??

Either way the fuel economy is kicking arse over my ST-X Navara, that thing was lucky to get 600 km out of a tank no matter how I drove the thing. Very happy with the swap over.
biggibbo

Postby Diddy on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:25 pm

just put tank of bp diesel in and 750mls of 2stroke oil and a new air & fuel filter and did a 100klm drive from bp beresfield to medowie to newcastle to warners bay & back to beresfield and refilled back at bp at berefield and the car took only 8ltrs to refill and i choca blocked it comp says car is running at 7.8LPH my calculations worked out at 8LPH or 12.5klms per ltr
Click to view larger picture
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey DID, i just showed the wife ur photo and she got all annoyed and said "well take a good look cause we'll never see that on our car" :lol:
4x4fun

Postby bobtriton on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 pm

well 4x4fun, there are things we should never show our wifes, there is nothing like showing what we have done, after it´s done, but not the things we wish... :twisted:

I finaly got a better mileage, in my third full thank after blocking the egr valve, I finaly got 10l/100kms. with a help from "Lucas diesel treatment" that I pour in my last thank. :)
bobtriton

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems