Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)

Postby snowman on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:55 am

ok thought i would start a dedicated thread on EGT issues. including using our combined brains to source a decent EGT probe and guage.

monitoring EGT temps is the best way to protect your engine from modified tunes.

....maybe we need to investigate a group buy of a decent EGT probe/display..... :)

Here is one to get started with,

http://www.thermoguard.com.au/
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)

Postby boostedbmw on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 am

Yes i have an Autometer one in my Triton. They call them Pyrometers.
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby NTBB on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Scintex biofules web site has kits that have warning buzzer and is digital worth a look,located in QLD
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby snowman on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:24 pm

This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 am

warning buzzer too, looks similar to scintex...

http://www.thesensorconnection.com/egt_ ... ndex.shtml
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:36 am

I think i read on the scinctex site that it has the abillity to send a trigger charge at your chosen temp could be handy for those who are cronic hoons who have to race every 1 tone ute they pull up next to :lol:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 am

NTBB wrote:I think i read on the scinctex site that it has the abillity to send a trigger charge at your chosen temp could be handy for those who are cronic hoons who have to race every 1 tone ute they pull up next to :lol:

Sounds like they could use one in Newcastle then ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Homer wrote:Sounds like they could use one in Newcastle then ;)

:lol:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:12 am

Copy pasted from my build thread........

Well, Since I'm playing with performance engines again Never thought I would do it with this one. Every vehicle I have owned has managed to end hotted up during its life. Oh well, you know the saying ageing is mandatory, growing up is optional

I'm a little concerned about the EGT's wile towing so a pyrometer is on the list. Would like a 2 in 1 combo so it can be mounted in the right side of the dash so looks almost factory.
Have found these so far.
http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm

They have boost/phyro in silver/red.
snip......
machined aluminum case bezel. The bezel is very attractive with a space age black anodized finish. The boost/EGT combo features a lighted pointer and dial that indicates Turbo Boost in pounds per square inch on the pointer. The pointer sweeps through a full 240 degrees of the dial. With backlighting in the color of your choice the dial is easily read in all lighting conditions. The instrument is equipped with an automatic light sensor and adjusts gauge lighting for ambient conditions. At the touch of a button the last highest readings are displayed on both the pointer and digital window. Optionally displays volts in digital window.

still looking for others...
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:15 am

My EGT's get to around the 380 degrees on the highway 100-110km/h - when towing the boat it reaches around the 440 degree mark.
ML-VR08

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:52 am

GLX-R MN wrote:Copy pasted from my build thread........

Well, Since I'm playing with performance engines again Never thought I would do it with this one. Every vehicle I have owned has managed to end hotted up during its life. Oh well, you know the saying ageing is mandatory, growing up is optional

I'm a little concerned about the EGT's wile towing so a pyrometer is on the list. Would like a 2 in 1 combo so it can be mounted in the right side of the dash so looks almost factory.
Have found these so far.
http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm

They have boost/phyro in silver/red.
snip......
machined aluminum case bezel. The bezel is very attractive with a space age black anodized finish. The boost/EGT combo features a lighted pointer and dial that indicates Turbo Boost in pounds per square inch on the pointer. The pointer sweeps through a full 240 degrees of the dial. With backlighting in the color of your choice the dial is easily read in all lighting conditions. The instrument is equipped with an automatic light sensor and adjusts gauge lighting for ambient conditions. At the touch of a button the last highest readings are displayed on both the pointer and digital window. Optionally displays volts in digital window.

still looking for others...

Here are the pics of what I think would look oK in the dash....

For the ML
Click to view larger picture

For the MN
Click to view larger picture
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 am

I'm looking at getting a few of these sent over, http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm , they ain't cheap though :( Have contacted them via email on a job lot to see what we can do with the price. If any interest let me know and I'll take it further.
I'll be getting one over anyway, as like things integrated in the dash.... hate slap on pods etc :x

Cheers Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

I am in on a group buy (price pending) PM sent ;) (thx for the fast reply Tony :D )

I hope we can get a few takers to get the price down??
Theres quite a few of us with chips now and its important to monitor especially when towing in extreme temps IMO. My trailer laden at about 2-2.5 tonnes in 30 degrees plus with chip i wonder how hot it will be up hills. (especially as i plan to up the boost now i have been playing for a few weeks..) the MN's with variable boost (electronic control) more so i would think :?:

they look the goods! two in one gotta love that :ugeek:

again nice find mate this has been on my mind for a while now. 8-)

EDIT: remember those with chipIT can link the output into the chip as well for cutoff (initiate a limp) if it goes above a set temp. Not for everyone but interesting to note none the less ;) :geek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GN-09 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 pm

GLX-R MN wrote:I'm looking at getting a few of these sent over, http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm , they ain't cheap though :( Have contacted them via email on a job lot to see what we can do with the price. If any interest let me know and I'll take it further.
I'll be getting one over anyway, as like things integrated in the dash.... hate slap on pods etc :x

Cheers Tony

Cheaper or dearer than the Madman EMS type? I could be persuaded on the Part 15 one.

At present I'm leaning towards the Aero type dual EGT gauges, probe upstream and downstream. Even a unit that doesn't display boost all the time would be fine (like the combined digital egt/boost type)
GN-09

Postby Tony on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:19 pm

GN-09 wrote:
GLX-R MN wrote:I'm looking at getting a few of these sent over, http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/boost_psi_egt.htm , they ain't cheap though :( Have contacted them via email on a job lot to see what we can do with the price. If any interest let me know and I'll take it further.

Cheers Tony

Cheaper or dearer than the Madman EMS type? I could be persuaded on the Part 15 one.

At present I'm leaning towards the Aero type dual EGT gauges, probe upstream and downstream. Even a unit that doesn't display boost all the time would be fine (like the combined digital egt/boost type)

http://www.madman.co.za/madman_products.htm
These things look like they belong in an aircraft :lol: Would work well if you can stand the appearance.
cant compare price as a very different product.

I'm more concerned about looks and just having the EGT and boost visible. You can drive by the phyro this way. I used to push my old 4D56T MJ well into 800deg for short burst. But only sustained 650 over long hauls. Only killed one turbo over 360,000 kms.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:22 pm

GN-09 wrote:Cheaper or dearer than the Madman EMS type? I could be persuaded on the Part 15 one.

Interesting re the item numbers below... TDI boost (how this diff to petrol boost??)

As for locating the probe i believe on our little turbo's theres ONLY room downstream?? but as usual i can be wrong about that :?

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GN-09 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm

borngeek wrote:
GN-09 wrote:Cheaper or dearer than the Madman EMS type? I could be persuaded on the Part 15 one.

Interesting re the item numbers below... TDI boost (how this diff to petrol boost??)

As for locating the probe i believe on our little turbo's theres ONLY room downstream?? but as usual i can be wrong about that :?

My apologies, I was thinking for my own truck :lol: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866 . Looks like it's all just the wording and scale on the face, was thinking TDI boost for a Tdi Disco. They must have made them for Volksy TDI owners.

Having said that I think the petrol ones have a Vac section below the 0PSI too.
GN-09

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 pm

:lol: no worries glad you brought it up :D

we all in same engine dept... TDI/DID/CRD geeeez its confusing even the geek....

:D :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:08 pm

BUMP..

as some interested parties were away at teewah ;)

theres gotta be more people other than Tony and I interested in this??? :ugeek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:47 pm

borngeek wrote:BUMP..

as some interested parties were away at teewah ;)

theres gotta be more people other than Tony and I interested in this??? :ugeek:

Don't get to exited yet.... :( Had no response via email... May have gone to their spam folder, I will have to register on their site.
Also....I think Customs will be an issue if I do a bulk order :evil: Would be fine if we did them individually. [censored] its a pain sometimes.
If I do any good, + talk to customs so no surprises... (Takes ten days to get an answer to a simple yes no question :? )
I'll chime in here and then create a thread in the group buy section.

Tony.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:13 pm

i'm interested depending on price. however, can i suggest that before a whole bunch of us fork out for them all unseen we agree to buy one first and see how it goes?

not sure how it can work but if it goes well then some of the savings from the later buy can go to the original purchaser.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:28 pm

snowman wrote:i'm interested depending on price. however, can i suggest that before a whole bunch of us fork out for them all unseen we agree to buy one first and see how it goes?

not sure how it can work but if it goes well then some of the savings from the later buy can go to the original purchaser.

Yep, good idea. I'll get one over asap. I'll get it sent in an airbag to speed things up.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:44 am

How did you go with this Tony?
I realise you have been pre occupied with other more pressing problems so just a bump to see ;)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:44 pm

I too am interested in a group buy should it eventuate.

Just out of interest does anyone know what temps the EGT should be seeing in standard form.
variflex

Postby Tony on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Not much happening yet :cry: Sorry guys. I actually would find it useful with the scangauge to pinpoint some issues.
I have actually tried to get several retailers to import these things but no luck as yet. :cry: If I get a number over customs will notice I afraid.
I'm now in the process of setting up a separate cred card for this sort of thing. I can keep a very close eye this way.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Fuel Systems