Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Postby triumph on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi all,
does anybody know how much $ to replace the SCV for an out of warranty 07 TD triton?

Regards
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Include reference to video on page 8
triumph

Re: Suction Control Valve

Postby Blue on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

10 year driveline includes engine, does it not...??? I'd say given the history of SCV issues, getting replaced as a warranty item shouldn't be too difficult...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steve1961 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Blue wrote:10 year driveline includes engine, does it not...??? I'd say given the history of SCV issues, getting replaced as a warranty item shouldn't be too difficult...

yes i read mine the other day ... its 10 years OR 160 ,000 k,s .... mine will be out of warranty totally in 3 years ... or next jan ... ive done 100,000 in 2 years
steve1961

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Buzzy should have a few spares. Send him a PM :lol:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:43 pm

Someone on here replaced theirs with an aftermarket one not long ago, they posted photos of the original and the larger (blue) after market one....will try and dig it up tonight. I'm sure they had a price written up as well
Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby Homer on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 pm

From memory it was one of the OS guys..Thai or PI?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm

scubapro was buying one off a os member....... I think it was about $130.00
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Where is this valve located and what does it do?
GLX-R Alex

Postby Lin1952 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Had mine replaced under warranty - read somewhere that it was about a $500 job including labour.
Lin1952

Suction Control Valve

Postby Diablo on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 pm

I have heard that it's easiest just to disable it by blocking a hose? Is this correct? Or only suitable while it is still functioning correctly?
Recoveries.......
Recovered.
1. Fridgie x lost count (in the 20s I recon)
2. Kyle x 1 (Coomera)
3. Joe x 1 (Coomera)
4. Perko (LCMP)

Recovered by.
1. Joe @ City View
2. Fridgie x Lost count (in the teens)
3. Joe @ Coomera

4. Bounce23 @ GH
Diablo

Postby triumph on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks guys for your feedback, Blue I thought I only had a 3 year warranty but you were right cheers for that,
I have also ordered a scangauge so I can tell whats causing the occasional limp mode. :roll:
triumph

Suction Control Valve

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Diablo wrote:I have heard that it's easiest just to disable it by blocking a hose? Is this correct? Or only suitable while it is still functioning correctly?

Isn't that the swirl valve thing?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 am

You may find it difficult to block :lol: :lol:

The SCV is like a solenoid that push/pulls a valve/piston on the CR fuel pump and controls the amount of pressure in the fuel rail... Think of it as a variable regulator.

Most of our troubles are the dry diesel causing them to get sticky (Lack of lube). Also those that are asked to work hard may exceed their duty cycle but I have no evidence to prove this as yet. :?

Now looking for a heavier duty alternative that's readily available.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 am

Tony Chip it did say that the one the Thai member was organizing for a ntn member was through one of their suppliers they may be able to help. I don't know if the NTN member had any success from Thailand would be good if he could report back :D
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Tony on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 am

NTBB wrote:Tony Chip it did say that the one the Thai member was organizing for a ntn member was through one of their suppliers they may be able to help. I don't know if the NTN member had any success from Thailand would be good if he could report back :D

Yea thanks, been talking to justin and have decided to start from scratch.

I have been on the phone to a diesel engineer who does denso etc. Has a huge handfull of longer SCV's available that are with in our specs. Just a lot longer and better built. And expensive :shock: Up to $300.
Just have to detemine what direction the tritons SCV works as some push... some pull.

Should have somthing latter this week to try on my other truck :roll:

The SCV works on a pulsed earth retrun via the ECU. Some 6v,9v and 12v etc.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm

hmm tony ill see if i can work out that information u are interested in mate. Like i said in ur build thread u may need a high pressure scv to handle the extra pressure you are trying to push though it...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby Raz89 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Hmmm, very interested in this. Will like to see what you find about a new SCV (hopefully not quite the $300 price tag you've quoted)
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Raz89

Postby snowman on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Tony in ABC for the DUMMY what does this thing do and how is it affected by fuel rail pressures?

and (what i am most interested in) how would a 2T oil mix lubricate it to possibly stop ongoing issues?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:01 am

snowman wrote:Tony in ABC for the DUMMY what does this thing do and how is it affected by fuel rail pressures?

and (what i am most interested in) how would a 2T oil mix lubricate it to possibly stop ongoing issues?

The SCV (Suction control valve) also known as "the fuel metering valve" simply controls the fuel intake volume to the HP CR pump (Not the delivery side) The SCV lives in between the high volume transfer pump and high pressure rail pump.
The SCV gets constant + power from the engine management circuit. It is then is energised by an earth return signal in the form of a pulse from the ECU. Around 160htz in frequency.

So.......
When solenoid is energised.... Think of it as a bypass = less intake to the CR pump (more fuel returns to the tank)
when solenoid is de energised.....Think of it as a closed circuit = more intake to the CR pump (less fuel returned to tank)

The SCV rest in full delivery mode when has no power and is energised to reduce fuel delivery.

The problem is, these valves seem to get very hot wile asked to stay at low fuel delivery to the CR pump Low delivery makes the SCV work at a higher duty for longer periods as in under light loads and idling. Hence they can lose their original power quickly and become more prone to sticking if soiled or dry.

Those running rail chip modules,
The chip tells the ECU porkies from the rail pressure sensor by saying we're not there yet (altering mv out put) so the ECU allows the SCV to stay closed longer = less bypass (does this by changing the HTZ) Some say the rail pressure builds back on the valve in effect but I'm not convinced this is true.
The normal running pressure of the denso system is in the range of 24000 to 28000 psi and around 5000psi at idle.
Most modules only increase this by around 3%

I may do a full tutorial on the CR system soon if any interest. ;)

Hope this all make sense to ya's :lol:

Cheers T
Last edited by Tony on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:10 am

what is the advantage of keeping this valve closed for power benefits? i assume it only provides moderate to small increases to suction side pressures of the common rail pump (inlet) which is increasing to massive pressures so it would not make much difference i would have thought?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 am

snowman wrote:what is the advantage of keeping this valve closed for power benefits? i assume it only provides moderate to small increases to suction side pressures of the common rail pump (inlet) which is increasing to massive pressures so it would not make much difference i would have thought?

In ABC, we increase the rail pressure. (factory ECU still does its pulses per cycle at highest duty possible). The more fuel gets delivered, the more fuel the CR pump has to deliver so the valve is in non return mode longer. Then some claim the pressure can back up against the valve or even bottom it out in extreme cases.

We have other factors in this such as the rail pressure solenoid (non denso systems). Its main job is to be very precise in over run. Ie trailing throttle and backing off.
Last edited by Tony on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 am

chaser wrote:hmm tony ill see if i can work out that information u are interested in mate. Like i said in ur build thread u may need a high pressure scv to handle the extra pressure you are trying to push though it...

Any information is useful :D From what I can work out my SCV is a denso 1460A037 (Mitsu part no) need a X referance.
also what direction does this one work & voltage.

Out of interest. Can you find any info on the Denso pump model used in the MN's? There is a crap load of the buggers out there:o You may need my Vin?
wonder if the 3.2 runs a higher out put pump and injectors :roll:

T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tim007 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Excuse the ignorance but can a sticky SCV cause poor fuel consumption? I had a relearn done on the fuel pump last week and the fuel consumption is now 2.5 ltr/100 better now.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby Naff on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Yep.. SCV was causing mine to use a heck of a lot of fuel and also a lot of black smoke.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonmal on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Can blanking the EGR effect the scv??
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Fuel Systems