Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Postby bluetriton08 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:06 pm

The work I completed was remove the battey that took roughly 5 min.
The scv is located below fuel rail and is held in by 2 5mm Allen key bolts once they are undone simply remove by pulling rearward remove the wire clip. And it's free

I cleaned as per the write up

Then replaced the fuel filter that took about 20 min and putting everything back together took another 10 min
all up about 60 min from start to finish
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:32 pm

bluetriton08 wrote:Replaced fuel filter and conducted the scv repair every thing went well car is back to running like a new one.
Thanks guys for your help and suggestions

So 'Blue' with the willingly provided assistance of all of our 'family' of NT Forum members, having now saved you roughly $2000 out of your Darwin Stealer's original $2090 ..'mis-quote'.. have you thought about maybe 'shouting yourself' a $50 NT Forum 'Platinum Membership' and an $8 'newtriton.net' bumper sticker for Christmas...... :?: Those sorts of little things help to keep the NT Forum running, for the benefit of all, and also helps to spread the NT message to other Triton owners ..... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluetriton08 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I am more then happy to i will do what i have to tonight
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Geez talk about a hard sell. Don't feel obliged mate, no one will think less of you. Well except an old fart.

The forum will save you money sometimes but it will cost you money in the long run because it will give you too many ideas for improving your setup.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 pm

I agree with Fart.

Nobody on this forum gets any financial benefit but hardware and upgrades etc come from the dollars generated.

We would welcome your support Bluetriton. :D :D 8-) 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greytriton on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:12 am

Good to see people saving money repairing SCV valve.
Greytriton

Postby chubby6582 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:04 am

Hi guys i changed my scv and it still put my triton into limp mode
chubby6582

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am

chubby6582 wrote:Hi guys i changed my scv and it still put my triton into limp mode

Did you get the dealer to reset everything with the MUT3 after you changed your SCV?

If not, you should.

If you just mean you took it out and cleaned it up and replaced it the MUT3 won't be required.

Do you have access to an OBD reader? "Limp mode" is a pretty broad description. If we knew the fault code we'd have a better shot of helping you, assuming that's the reason for your post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby pandakin86 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

Recently the check engine light turned on in the 2006 ML Triton 3.2L and when I check for the code it came up with P0089. Seaching on this forum seems to be the SCV.

I had replaced the SCV and the error code doesn't go away. I took it for a test drive and the car seems to run fine but then when after sitting at the lights for a minute or so it had gone into limp mode. Had to park the car on the side of the road, turn off the car and then turn the car back on to be able to drive properly. Luckily I was close to home so was able to drive it back...

Any ideas on how to fix the problem. The only code that it comes up is P0089.

Cheers
pandakin86

Postby coughy on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:59 am

it looks like it is a fuel pressure problem
look here
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0089
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 pm

pandakin86 wrote:Hi,

Recently the check engine light turned on in the 2006 ML Triton 3.2L and when I check for the code it came up with P0089. Seaching on this forum seems to be the SCV.

I had replaced the SCV and the error code doesn't go away. I took it for a test drive and the car seems to run fine but then when after sitting at the lights for a minute or so it had gone into limp mode. Had to park the car on the side of the road, turn off the car and then turn the car back on to be able to drive properly. Luckily I was close to home so was able to drive it back...

Cheers

Did u get it coded to the truck by the dealer?
biggibbo

Postby pandakin86 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:52 pm

biggibbo wrote:
pandakin86 wrote:Hi,

Cheers

Did u get it coded to the truck by the dealer?

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. The code came from my Garmin Mechanic.
pandakin86

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 pm

When you put a new SCV in you're supposed to get it coded to the ecu. Or calibrated or something - short version is it needs to go to the dealer for some mut3 treatment before you keep chasing problems that could be caused by that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby pandakin86 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:20 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:When you put a new SCV in you're supposed to get it coded to the ecu. Or calibrated or something - short version is it needs to go to the dealer for some mut3 treatment before you keep chasing problems that could be caused by that.

Ahh I see... Thanks :) I will call the dealer to organise a time. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it would cost for the dealer to do what they need to do..??
pandakin86

Postby coughy on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:03 am

i think around the $80 mark i as told
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby colins7014 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Thinking I'm onto something, having problems with lot of diesel knock at idle. Engine goes into derating condition and both traction control lights come on (2010 MN 2.5 ltr). If I keep the revs up it is less likely to derate. Unplugging the SCV simulates the same fault condition. Thinking this is what is causing my problems. Also at lower RPM it starts to surge before it derates and other times it is good. (Not a blocked manifold either)
colins7014

Postby TheEscapist on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi guys,

Stumbled across this thread as I was searching "stall" trying to get some information on a recent problem with my car. The search pointed me to the middle of the thread, so posts from early last year. Found it to be the best laugh I've had all week! Actually found my eyes watering! :lol:

Anyway, even after reading some of the on topic posts I'm not much wiser about my problem. :oops: . Even though the read was well worth it!

Issue is, the car just started stalling at idle :( . Also, when coasting, once or twice its given a little cough or splutter (not stalled). I'm thinking it could be fuel related :x But I'm not 100%

Car's always been serviced, fuel filter would have been replaced at the 60k service (was done at a dealer). How often do you guys replace filters?

Could be bad fuel, as I think the problem has only been around for the last week and a half (don't do alot of k's most weeks).

Appreciate any thoughts guys 8-)

Daz
TheEscapist

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 pm

TheEscapist wrote:Hi guys,

Stumbled across this thread as I was searching "stall" trying to get some information on a recent problem with my car. The search pointed me to the middle of the thread, so posts from early last year. Found it to be the best laugh I've had all week! Actually found my eyes watering! :lol:
Anyway, even after reading some of the on topic posts I'm not much wiser about my problem. :oops: . Even though the read was well worth it!
Issue is, the car just started stalling at idle :( . Also, when coasting, once or twice its given a little cough or splutter (not stalled). I'm thinking it could be fuel related :x But I'm not 100%
Car's always been serviced, fuel filter would have been replaced at the 60k service (was done at a dealer). How often do you guys replace filters?
Could be bad fuel, as I think the problem has only been around for the last week and a half (don't do alot of k's most weeks).
Appreciate any thoughts guys 8-)
Daz

Hi Daz,
The thing is to determine if your problems -are- being caused by a sticky SCV...? A quick, cheap and painless method of ascertaining this is to stick a single 300ml dose of Castrol Activ 2T (FC rated 2 Stroke Oil) into your fuel tank along with your next complete diesel fill-up. The 2T provides extra lubricity to the diesel fuel as it passes through your fuel system and it -usually- frees up a sticking SCV valve as well as helping to lube the bowels of the Fuel Pump.
So once you've added it to your tank then go for a highway speed run to get some of the dosed fuel through your vehicle's system and then see if your observed 'symptoms' have disappeared or at least become less noticeable / frequent....?
If so, then it's probably going to be your SCV sticking and then, rather me repeating here -yet again- what's already been very well covered on the sticky SCV subject a number of times, you'll just need to do some more reading of your own... ;) As far as how frequently you should change your fuel filter Daz, the answer is at the normal recomended service intervals -or- if it becomes 'blocked' beforehand. It's a wise investment to buy a 'spare' fuel filter wrap it up tightly in dust proof plastic and carry it around in your glove or toolbox, in readiness for the time when your are sure as hell, according to Murphy's Law, gonna be stuck miles from help and your vehicle stops due to a blocked fuel filter.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheEscapist on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Cheers Old fella,

I topped up the tank today, so will be interesting to see what happens with it over the next few days. I will call into a parts store over the weekend and grab some oil. If the stalling continues I'll give that a go on the next tank. If not, I'll use it in the edger! :D

Now I know how to diagnose, I'll give it a crack if the problem persists.

Thanks again.

Daz
TheEscapist

Postby brucewoodworker on Sun May 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi all
Just replaced the SCV today on my 2008 ML Triton (145 000km).I'd noticed most of the symptoms mentioned in this thread for the past 30 to 40k.
I got a new SCV off Ebay for $145.00 (pink one, same as in it now). Went in under the passenger side front guard (very easy to get to). Had it replaced in less than 30 minutes!
Started the car up and let it idle for about 30 minutes after I replaced it, then took it for a drive for around 100ks, did some highway speeds and some gentle lugging around town. Can't believe the difference it made!
No more surging, no more rough idling and it appears to have a bit more top end?
I'll see over the next few months how the economy goes.
Very happy :D
brucewoodworker

Postby snakesoup on Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm

anybody on here that loves there triton that hasn't read pages 7 and 8 in this thread should do it as soon as practicably possible !!
very very informative posts, a great read!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby msrlo on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm

my mn work ute on cold mornings has been occasionally been making a little noise under the hood and surging as you start driving. I'm guessing the suction valve
msrlo

Code p0089

Postby Jessie.w on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 am

Hey guys how you going ?

I’m having trouble with a code that keeps popping up and wanting to know if anyone has had this before.
So sitting in idle my actual fuel pressure sits at around 55-60 and my target is 33 and about a couple minutes into idle I got a code p0089 which is SCV stuck, so changed it and it’s still doing it the thing I’m confused with is when I drive the pressure are basically identical but when I’m sitting in idle their 20mpa different and keeps throwing the code.. has anyone had this happen to them and what did they do ?

And I’ve just changed fuel filter thinking it could be a blockage and still doing it.

I’ve got a 2008ml triton 3.2l

Cheers
Jessie
Jessie.w

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:43 am

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 am

A lot of the so-called oem denso scv's on ebay appear to be knock offs...

I replaced mine with an ebay one for $80 but it lasted only 4000km before performing worse than the original one. Beware!
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems