Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Suction Control Valve (see symptoms video p8)

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 am

WOW that is pretty expensive for a SCV and filter

problem you may face though trying to save $$$ by going aftermarket on the SCV is that it still requires the dealer to tune it to the pump/ ecu, so they will get you one way or the other, would be worth asking the question of them though.

Maybe make an enquiry of MMA to see if there is a service cost advisory for the part as that seems excessive (like double what I would consider fair)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 am

bluetriton08 wrote:No this is just to replace scv and fuel filter

that is ridiculous money. :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluetriton08 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:13 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's is excessive.

I am moving to QLD at the end of the year so I might just put up with it for now and get another qoute there or just fit all the parts myself and take it in for the ecu tune

From darwin mitsubishi it's only $671 in parts
ml-1460a037 scv $438
Ml- 1770a177 fuel filter $78.60
Ml-1582a035 gasket erg $7.68
Ml-mr161679 gasket erg $4.56
Ml- 1500a098 air filter $81.24
The rest to take it up was in Labour $1418.90
Total of $2090
I'm sure I could do it for less
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:23 am

bluetriton08 wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's is excessive.

I am moving to QLD at the end of the year so I might just put up with it for now and get another qoute there or just fit all the parts myself and take it in for the ecu tune

From darwin mitsubishi it's only $671 in parts
ml-1460a037 scv $438
Ml- 1770a177 fuel filter $78.60
Ml-1582a035 gasket erg $7.68
Ml-mr161679 gasket erg $4.56
Ml- 1500a098 air filter $81.24
The rest to take it up was in Labour $1418.90
Total of $2090
I'm sure I could do it for less

i'd seriously report that to Mitsubishi. (MMAL).

$1400 labour for an SCV and filter change is highway robbery - especially in a capital city.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluetriton08 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 am

I took the car in because I wanted the SCV looked at and replaced

This took 2.5 hrs to tell me yes that the SCV is on its way out and all deisel would need to be dropped.
I'm annoyed that it took 2.5 to tell me what I already knew this was at a cost of $495 but I can unhappily accept it some what as there might have been the very small chance It may have been another issue.

I was then phoned to say yes you are correct it is the SCV and we will need to replace all items listed above.
The qoute over the phone to repair was $2090 so I said don't worry about repair I will collect it now and fix it later

now the $2090 may have included the $495 for confirming my request but I'm am unsure as it is on its own receipt

The only issue I have with reporting it is I only have the quote for parts on the "qoute"
The Labour costs are not written down. I was told that it a would cost this much over the phone. So in turn the dealer maybe able to argue we never quoted this price and therefor nothing would happen.

What I will do is enquire to MMAL on how much is standard Labour charged by the hour and then once I have that I have a better argument on why it would cost so much.

I will also let them now that this is what I was quoted over the phone and my printed quote does not include the Labour costs
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:59 am

ring any dealer (that is not Darwin) and ask for a quote to replace SCV including MUT3 interface.

Filter labour should be about 0.5hrs i would expect. That might even be in the service book? sometimes the service books have estimated times.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 am

Why are they saying all diesel needs to be dropped? That combined with new fuel filter suggests to me that they think you have contaminated fuel in your tank? Dropping the tank to drain it can be a pain in the arse so I wonder if that cost is built in there too?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Naff on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 am

Possibly on the money there CD. My SCV gave way shortly after my fuel filter was causing drive ability problems.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 am

The price mentioned would almost cover injectors as well. :?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluetriton08 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm

To be honest i cant be 100% percent sure.

My understanding is the scv gets destroyed due to quality of fuel and or lack of lubrication ( is this correct? )

By this thinking i would tend to agree that if you replace everything you then would rule out having any other SCV issues for at least the short time.
I guess it all steams from other users on here have had an scv replacement and i was quering it so that i could find out how much everyone else was paying. the cost of it is what scared me.

If a majority of people said yes when i had a scv replaced it cost $2000 and they completed everything as mentioned i would learn to accept it.
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:41 pm

That's nuts mate. You can pick up a genuine Denso SCV on ebay for well under that dealer price. It's only held in by two allen head bolts as I recall it. Depending how flexible you are you might want to remove the battery for easier access because it's down quite low on that side. Unplug it, remove the two bolts, replace it, 2 bolts, plug back in. At that point strictly speaking the dealer should be using the MUT3 to calibrate it or whatever they do. Some will run fine without that, others will run rough until you get that done. Fuel filter even at that price above should take less than 30 minutes to change over. Easiest way is to unbolt at the top and remove the whole thing (watch out for the wiring loom down the bottom) and separate filter out of the car. Replace filter, bolt back in, add plug on base before tightening. Use pump on top to prime before starting.

If you think you are encountering dodgy fuel then consider adding a 2 micron filter into the mix for additional protection.

I wouldn't be in any great rush to be dropping a tank of fuel out unless you're confident you picked up a bad batch. An extra filter would give additional peace of mind there though.

Before doing all of that, there are some posts somewhere here about cleaning the SCV up, giving it a little polish and returning it to service. Couldn't hurt to give that a go first. Also AOF will likely suggest a bit of 2 stroke oil in your fuel to lube up the SCV - can't hurt to try that too.

Cowboy Dave

Postby bluetriton08 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I found the post

Cheers brother give me some thing to do right now I'll let you know how I go then I'll replace after that
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 pm

"Blue" .........$2090....... :!: That's not a bloody quote..... :shock: That's flamin -highway robbery- ...... :!: :!:
I'd seriously be askin that Darwin Stealer if he's a blood relative of Ned Kelly..... :?: :?:
Mate, you can order your replacement SCV off FleaBay for around $150 and a fuel and air filter as well from SydneyFilters for even less than that. Even if you had to totally drain and refill your fuel tank and lines how much is that goin to cost you.... :?: I've no idea of what diesel costs in Darwin but even if it was $2 / Litre thats what, about $150 worth.... :!:
Mate, if you're movin to QLD in a month or two I would seriously save my coin on the Darwin Stealer for now, and first, certainly try the old 'cheap' trick of adding a 300ml dose of Castrol Activ 2T (FC Rated) Two-Stroke oil into your fuel tank as you next -fully- fill it up. This little trick adds extra lubrication properties to our crap 'dry' low sulphur content diesel and it really helps out with freeing up 'sticking' SCV valves. If you suspect you've currently got a load of 'shite' fuel then it might pay you to dump the remaining contents of your tank before you completey refill it with the 300ml of 2T added. Best idea is to buy your diesel from a 'truck' fuel depot /servo because their high volume turnover generally means that you can count on getting 'clean' fuel from there.
If you still have problems after that then the next 'cheapest' thing to do is to replace your fuel filter which may currently be partially contaminated / blocked. You can buy them directly from SydneyFilters online or via FleaBay and the best idea would be to buy a couple of them at the same time so that you -always- have a spare immediately available because you can never know when you will 'next' get a 'shite' tank refill of diesel. Wrap up the 'spare' filter inside a 'couple' of dustproof plastic bags and store it in your glovebox or toolbox.
If you're still having the same problems after doing these two 'cheapest' options first, -then- it's time to buy / replace the SCV valve itself, keeping in mind that you will then have to take your Ute to the Stealer afterwards, to get them to give it the MUT-3 treatment in order to match the new valve's operating characteristics to your vehicle. Hopefully you wont need to get to this point if the first two mentioned options work for you, or, you might be able to stall it long enough to get down here to QLD and see a --Dealer-- not a Stealer.... ;) :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flyfisho on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Wow
I went to pennant hills mitsy in sydney.
I got scv replaced
Upgraded intake manifold replaced
Lower manifold cleaned
New ecu
Valve clearances done
All for $2400
I thought that was a fn rip off :shock:
flyfisho

Postby biggibbo on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I have had nothing but negative experiences at Pennant Hills.

You probably got ripped because they probably only did 1/3 of the jobs you have paid for.

They are dodgy. I would be checking everything I could.
biggibbo

Postby bluetriton08 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, food for thought.
I have tomorrow off so I will replace all filters and try the scv repair then and see how that goes.
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bluetriton08 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:48 am

Replaced fuel filter and conducted the scv repair every thing went well car is back to running like a new one.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:08 am

I'd call that a win. :lol:

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 am

just for interest

how many hours did you put in for a novice to do all the work, including pulling down the scv.

be interesting to put your hours into the format of the Darwin quote?

labour component just over $1400, so at $150/ hour they reckon on 9.5 hours ;)
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Yeah but they were doing a bunch of work that it would seem wasn't needed as well.

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:17 pm

4wd26 wrote:just for interest

how many hours did you put in for a novice to do all the work, including pulling down the scv.

True 26 but for some blokes the 9 hours they can do on a saturday is money they don't have to find on a fixed income. might be different for a business etc.

bluetriton08 wrote:Replaced fuel filter and conducted the scv repair every thing went well car is back to running like a new one.

I think this is a win. Nice one mate.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:07 pm

snowman wrote:
4wd26 wrote:just for interest

True 26 but for some blokes the 9 hours they can do on a saturday is money they don't have to find on a fixed income. might be different for a business etc.

bluetriton08 wrote:Replaced fuel filter and conducted the scv repair every thing went well car is back to running like a new one.

I think this is a win. Nice one mate.

That wasn't what I was getting at.

I was happy with the win and seeing if his labour to do the job was only 4 hours (estimation) then Darwin were grossly over quoting on the labour part of the job, which we already suspected, but with the same vehicle could then confirm

thinking the time spent on the SCV would equate somewhat (including beverage time) to the EGR gasket stuff.

BUT

only thing I could think of on behalf of Darwin would be if it was a full manifold clean, as that is a bitch and time consuming- see on the forum for a detailed PDF
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby snowman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 pm

fair enough. one of the problems of these posts was the very little info on what work was to be completed for the 2 grand.

all speculation but in any case it seems he has solves his problems for not much hassle. 8-)

damn glad i don't live in Darwin though, looks like a bit of a non-competitive market......... :? :?
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greytriton on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:36 pm

I'll pull out your SCV, Polish the spool and re install it for a box of piss
Greytriton

Postby flyfisho on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Now we're talkn.
Ive probably got about 5 cases worth to do on mine :D
flyfisho

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems