Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 am

Well if you read that specifically and he says they don't have the 'same' problems it may be accurate.

They still gradually get restricted. The main change to the manifold was to move a sensor to a spot where it would be less effected by build up as I understand it.

At 85,000 you'd have some build up at least. Does your fuel economy look worse than it used to?

When it's next due for valve clearances see if you can get it cleaned then?

Forum sponsors Tritonwreckers have a couple of cleaned MN manifolds from memory that they were going to offer people on an exchange basis. That way you could give your mechanic a clean one to put on and send TW the dirty one to clean up and use for the next person.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stoneman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:42 am

Stoneman

Postby hxshagginwagon on Mon May 04, 2015 7:44 am

Tony wrote: I normally keep a low profile on this, but times have moved on since MMAL's software update on underboost issues over a year ago. Allowing a full blank is only a side effect of the actual reason for the update being barometric pressure differences.

So true the blanking plates seem to run fine these days on the VGT equipped 4D56, but if you look at what happens to the EGTs, Air fuel ratio, fuel economy, cruise hunting etc. I'm not convinced its a good idea anymore. :| I actually threw all my blanks in the recycling ages ago as realized the blanking still upsets the engine management with the negative manifold or lower pressures.
When you tune these great engines, tossing the blank and using the AIT resistor idea makes gains and does so safely.
[/quote]

I have a standard ML 3.2 with the blanking plate and self installed single resistor mod coming from the MAF sensor.

Are you saying that the vehicle will response better with only the resistor mod and plate removed?
ML GLX-R 3.2TD 5-Speed 2008 MY09

HXshagginwagon is my other ride!
hxshagginwagon

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Yep

Cowboy Dave

Postby tacticaltriton on Mon May 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Was going to blank my new GLX....... :?
tacticaltriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Up to you but the electronic method has less side effects.

Cowboy Dave

Postby hxshagginwagon on Mon May 04, 2015 2:55 pm

I done exactly that today and it seems to respond better already. Ill have to do the maths regarding fuel consumption
ML GLX-R 3.2TD 5-Speed 2008 MY09

HXshagginwagon is my other ride!
hxshagginwagon

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby hooperg on Sat May 23, 2015 11:07 am

Gentleman.
Apologies if my post appears in another form elsewhere but i seem to have lost / deleted my first attempt :oops:

I am currently experiencing my second round of CEL and engine issues.
The CEL light is on and the engine is running for approx 3 seconds after ignition is switched off.
I have pulled the codes p2413 & p0403 which through searching on the forum i discovered are EGR related.
But could not find anything on the engine issue apart from being carbon related.
I have owned the vehicle since new and installed an EGR blank and provent two weeks after purchasing it.
When the problem first occurred 3 months ago it went straight into the dealership as it was still under warranty.
Removing the blank first as i thought it may be the cause.
I was told they could not find any issues and simply reset the codes.
Now its back again.
Any help pointing me in the right direction forum wise, or if anyone has also had the issue and had it resolved would be greatly appreciated.
hooperg

Postby koshari on Sun May 24, 2015 7:54 pm

My guess. You have flogged out the thread on the egr detent motor. Common on engines that have done over 100k. And another reason to do a resistor mod. Btw the egr detent motor cannot be purchased separately and comes as part of the egr. About 260bucks iirc.
koshari

Postby hooperg on Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 pm

koshari wrote:My guess. You have flogged out the thread on the egr detent motor. Common on engines that have done over 100k. And another reason to do a resistor mod. Btw the egr detent motor cannot be purchased separately and comes as part of the egr. About 260bucks iirc.

Thanks Koshari
I have been procrastinating on the resistor mod.
That's what happens i guess.
Sounds like a trip to the dealership is in order.
Ute has only just clocked 80000 km.
And should still be under warranty, according to them last time its got until September next year.

I'll post any info / results i get.
hooperg

Postby koshari on Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 pm

I would be very surprised if they covered the wear on the egr detent motor gear as a warranty claim. Sadly me thinks you will putting your hand pretty deep in your pocket. When mine flogged out it was in a novated lease period so at least it was paid in before tax dollars.
koshari

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 pm

I wouldn't write it off. I got my EGR replaced under warranty at about 75,000.

Cowboy Dave

Postby koshari on Fri May 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wouldn't write it off. I got my EGR replaced under warranty at about 75,000.

iam all for going for it, after all its a pretty crap setup that flogs out under 100k. even worse that you cannot get the detent motor by itself.
koshari

Postby hooperg on Fri May 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks to you both.
Is there any merit in removing my pro vent before taking it in.
Also from your experiences, should i go in playing dumb or mention that i have an idea of what it is ?
As last time they were pretty dismissive.
Do i have to take it to the same dealer as purchase for warranty claims ?
hooperg

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Obviously keep the blank out but I wouldn't worry about the provent. Not limited to any one dealer, whichever you prefer, they all have to get it approved by Mitsy. I would go in with the codes written down, and say you've ascertained that they suggest an EGR related problem and you'd like them to suss that out. What they do next is a bit of a lottery. I've had dealers be quite dismissive initially even when I have half a clue what the issue is. It's like they stick to a standard script that assumes the customer is an idiot. Others are very interested in every symptom or niggle you can recall - those are the ones you really want.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sat May 30, 2015 7:38 pm

just found this if anyone is looking for one
a catch can that is oem or equivalent
and compact to fit in

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191503383008 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kouta666 on Sat May 30, 2015 7:56 pm

"And instruction manual was not even provided as the installation is just a simple plug and play mechanism."

Really?
kouta666

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 30, 2015 7:59 pm

That's a pretty amazing bit of kit, Pete.

The things it can do. :shock: :shock:

Designed specifically to fit the mounting point of MITSUBISHI Triton 2.5L Diesel from 2005 to 2014 car model
[color=#FF0000]Proven to boost your car engine performance and increased gas mileage

Able to trap all those harmful gasoline that made their way to your car engine, preventing all the unwanted substances from entering the combustion chamber
Permits astounding air ventilation for better car engine performance and extended longevity

Pity it's no longer really needed with the EGR mods available now. :(
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby AnOldFart on Sat May 30, 2015 9:11 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:That's a pretty amazing bit of kit, Pete.
The things it can do. :shock: :shock:
Designed specifically to fit the mounting point of MITSUBISHI Triton 2.5L Diesel from 2005 to 2014 car model
[color=#FF0000]Proven to boost your car engine performance and increased gas mileage

Able to trap all those harmful gasoline that made their way to your car engine, preventing all the unwanted substances from entering the combustion chamber
Permits astounding air ventilation for better car engine performance and extended longevity
Pity it's no longer really needed with the EGR mods available now. :(

You forgot to also mention "N4T5th" that it's only for the 2.5 ....Liter.... Diesel.... ;) :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby iamsimon on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Who hear has had the manifold replaced/ cleaned of carbon under warranty but had their own mechanic do the log book servicing? I've put mine at the dealer and got many excuses why he thought it wouldnt quallify for warranty iincluding my mechanic wouldnt have done SQL's at servicing and that the carbon build up doesnt really get covered under warranty!

I think I might just be dealing with a dealership that doesnt want to to warranty a car that doesnt have a service history there.
iamsimon

Postby destorman on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:27 pm

mate, our 2010 MN had the carbon build up cleaned under warranty ... :D

BUT, we had full service history at mitsi stealers :roll:

It is a "known" issue, plenty of info on here, other 4x4 forums too, so it's hardly an issue due a missed SQL or "non dealer" doing the servicing.

Fair Trading in your state could be worth a phone call, suss out the "consumer laws" re: warranty and impact re: vehicle servicing. You might be surprised as to what they have to say ;)
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Not having SQLs has stuff all to do with carbon. I suppose they would try and argue that your services haven't been by the book and therefore no warranty left but your mechanic has signed off on them and they're making an assumption about the SQLs without checking. They are possible with aftermarket equipment now so your mechanic could well say he's been doing them at which point the dealer has nothing left to whinge about.

As for carbon cleans under warranty well it is a bit random. We all view the build up as a bit of a defect (rightly so I reckon) but since it is a consequence of deliberate design you can sort of see an argument that it is just a standard maintenance item that needs doing periodically. The counter-argument to that would probably be that if that was correct can they point you to where in the service schedule it specifies that the manifolds have to come off for a carbon clean...

In the end it seems to be an attitudinal thing, some dealers are trying to help you and others aren't - if you haven't got that established relationship with them it's not hard to see why they might not go out of their way to help you. The stupid bit about that of course is that if they did actually help you out they'd at least have a chance of scoring you as a customer in future instead of pissing you off permanently.

Cowboy Dave

Postby leonbee on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Consumer law states you do not have to have your truck services at a dealer as long as the mechanic notes it was serviced to Mitz log book specs and used genuine parts.

It is no doubt a stupid design fault and warranty claim. The only way it would not be covered under warranty is if you was advised and you agreed to it before purchase. Also noted in the user manual.

How would it look. :cry:
Your truck is built to the highest standards however you may find your truck may lack power, uses excessive fuel and occasionally surge under low and high speed operations. This is not a fault of the truck but due to pollution controls. You may need to have an additional service which is not covered under the normal terns of your warranty. This may include additional oil chnages, manifold dismantle and clean and EGR replacement. Have a nice day. :D

The new model Triton also has the added problem of a Diesel particle filter. This is to stop the fine particles that enter the atmosphere and contribute to cancer.

The joy;s of owning a modern day diesel truck. :)
leonbee

Postby Coreyg23 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Great info Guys....

I have a 2008 3.2Ltr, i have blanked the EGR off, is there anyway to clean the intake manifold out of all the carbon with out taking to a dealer or replacing the manifold it self. ie: Injector cleaner or Carby cleaner???
Coreyg23

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Here's a DIY guide: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13181

Sprays won't ever get it as clean as pulling it off and cleaning it properly. They would also mean your engine swallowing 7 years worth of carbon which doesn't seem a great idea to me.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems