Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby Coreyg23 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Sweet thanks...

This is great. Now just to find a weekend i have nothing to do and pull the thing apart.
Coreyg23

Postby leonbee on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 pm

PROVENT catch can NOT HAPPY :roll: : ...... MY MODIFICATION ......

I had to remove the filter medium not long after purchase as it just got clogged up with oil and could not breath causing restriction. Used stainless steel wool on top and inside the filter with members advice.
Just discovered mine is a china copy... http://www.carformance.com.au/hp200

The lower outlet relief valve as in the article was doing nothing but restricting flow. The oil Draining from the top was also getting sucked through the valve and hose. So I have modified the catch can.

I took out the useless bottom valve spring and rubber to open up the restricted port. I have reversed the set up. Connecting the inlet to the bottom of the catch can and the outlet to the top. I have wrapped 3 stainless steel wool rings around the outside of the catch can filter housing. Inside the filter is now empty and the top of the catch is now clear and clean. All the oil is now at the bottom of the catch can. The gas/fumes are sucked up to the now top outlet. The oil is heavier and stays down the bottom of the catch can. On inspections no oil is getting to the top of the catch can or the top outlet. This makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

No restrictions whatsoever on flow. I have 3 spare stainless steel scourer rings and replace and soak the others in strong dish washing detergent to clean. No need to clean out the oil in the bottom of the catch can until it gets to full reaching the now inlet port. It's a quick Swap and go.
I have found I do not have to clean the filters as much because most of the oil now drains into the bottom of the can and not all through the stainless steel filters as in the reverse top set up.

I am now very happy with my provent catch can :)

.................................................................................
STICKING A FEATHER IN YOUR BUTT DOES NOT MAKE YOU A CHICKEN
leonbee

Postby cheech on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

I have a 2006 ml triton with a 3.2td engine it is surging at 2100-2600 rpm.
I have removed the egr and where it sits on the top manifold is 1/3 bloked with carbon.
Does anyone know if Mitsubishi still have a recall on the manifolds and are they replacing the old manifolds with the upgraded ones.
There seems to have been some work done as the nipple where the map sensor goes has a rubber blank on it now and the tube goes to the upper manifold. As in the photo in the post above
Any advice will be appreciated
cheech

Postby joshcw85 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Cheech...

I just took (22/7/2015) my 2008 ML Triton (95,000km) to the dealer and explained the following problems:

- Surging at low revs
- blows smoke when accelerating
- loss of fuel economy

I explained that I conducted my own research and explained about the common problems caused as a result of the EGR system, with these engines (dealer bloke knew everything anyway).

They happily took the car for the morning, ran some tests and looked at the manifold. They advised they will replace the manifold under the 10 year drive train warranty. You will need to see if your vehicle still satisfies the warranty conditions though.

When the manifold is replaced I plan to fix the EGR with some device. I have not decided which one yet.
joshcw85

Postby mad992 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:10 pm

cant complain about that for service joshcw
mad992

Postby DCDAD on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Tex wrote:If you know a mechanic well they would probably install the blank if you supply it but they wont even write it down or admit to it.

i got it in writing on the receipt ....
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby joshcw85 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm

mad992 wrote:cant complain about that for service joshcw

Yea, I was pretty stoked with the result. It should be like a new truck.
joshcw85

Postby cheech on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Spoke to Mitsubishi service department last week and I need to book it in and if they might clean the manifolds out or replace them but would not say if I would foot the bill or Mitsubishi so I will book it in and see what happens
cheech

Postby jonb1760 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Recently put in Tony's mod( thanx Tony). Didn't really notice any difference in performance. I know that this is not a performance enhancing g mod so no big deal. One thing I notice is that when I start it of and drive down to the gate, about 150 meters and the display is showing approx 40l/100klms. Approx. Again it's no big deal as by the time I get to work, about 6klms,it's down to about 9 ish. I never noticed this before the mod and just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this as well.
jonb1760

Postby leonbee on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:48 pm

jonb1760 wrote:Recently put in Tony's mod( thanx Tony). Didn't really notice any difference in performance. I know that this is not a performance enhancing g mod so no big deal. One thing I notice is that when I start it of and drive down to the gate, about 150 meters and the display is showing approx 40l/100klms. Approx. Again it's no big deal as by the time I get to work, about 6klms,it's down to about 9 ish. I never noticed this before the mod and just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this as well.

Are you sure its the mod. Did you unplug to see if it still happens. :idea:
leonbee

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 am

That almost sounds like your signal from the gearbox sensor is intermittent. Have you watched what your speedo and odometer are up to while you first take off?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jonb1760 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Yeah. Completely normal speedo and revs. The performance of the car is completely normal. Have spoken to Tony at SPV and he seems to think it's normal. Besides once of and running the whole issue settles down.
jonb1760

Postby Intruder on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Re the fuel economy reading on your meter, that's normal. The computer takes an averaged calculation of fuel used to distance travelled every 5 minutes, and all up average data is held for 4 hours (ie if you drove for 8 hours straight, only the last 4 hours of the trip is logged for fuel economy purposes). Hence when the car sits overnight (or longer than 4 hours) the computer resets and your starting from scratch again.

So when your starting your trip each morning, as the car has moved a minimal distance, the fuel used to move that distance the way Mitsubishi have set this thing up averaged out is going to be quite high. Further the car moves distance wise, lower the average will be when calculated every five minutes.

On a cold morning in Hobart a few weeks ago I went and started the car, turned the heater on and let it sit there and idle for ten minutes or so to get the car nice and toasty on the inside. Noticed when I got back in the car it had apparently used something like 70 odd litres/100 Km's! That dropped pretty quick funnily enough once we got moving.
Yes... I'll have another beer.
Intruder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jonb1760 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 am

Intruder, Thanx for the info. Pretty much what i thought was happening. I spoke to Tony re his mod and he said exactly that, if you leave it to warm up then you canget absurd numbers. I have even seen 99.9L/100Km's. Have just returned from a 13oo km trip and got approx 750 kms to a tank so am happy with that. The 2011 glx-r purred like a kitten the whole way. Had a mate with me who has a 2015 Ranger and he was really impressed with the handleing and comfort.
jonb1760

Postby leonbee on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:31 pm

How much oil do you get in your catch cans :?: . I get stuff all.
leonbee

Postby Kipa2828 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 am

lazarus wrote:Great post Tex, just a bit of correction

Click to view larger picture

as shown on the picture for 2.5 l MN (which I actually shot :) ), you said blank should go to the center of the picture just below EGR valve, BUT heaps of other users, mechanics and experienced guys on this forum said and recommended that blanking plate should go to the left of the location you described, just under that steel heat shield

I have it there for the past 11 000 km and not a single limp since install, no 6mm hole

Hey Lazarus
Sorry to sound silly ... I'm new to this but do you mean the blanking plate should go at the bottom end of that short pipe that is bolted to the egr valve above

Trying to sort this black smoke prob and carbon build up
Getting heating recall done tomorrow
Just brought my mn 2010 and the recall wasn't done
I'm at 190 000 kms

What's your thoughts
Thankyou
Kipa28228
Kipa2828

Postby leonbee on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:25 pm

You would think if it has not over heated in 6 years and 190,000 clicks it would be o.k. :?: It probably will overheat after they thrash the crap out of it to test it.

Do u have a catch can on it. If not check out the threads.

.................................................................................................
Sounds like a load of Malcolm Turn bull :roll:
leonbee

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 am

The blank should be fitted immediately before the egr valve. This prevents the engine ingesting coolant in the event of a gas cooler leak. No brainer really as the cooler can and sometimes do fail.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tezza08 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Has any ML owners had to clean there "New redesigned" inlet manifold? Leethal replaced mine at 60k but now at 130k I'm feeling the old surge again. I've never had a EGR blank or catch can fitted (maybe should have when the new manifold was fitted :roll: ) or maybe the diesel I got at Toogoolawah is making it run a bit shit?
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Snooozy on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:34 pm

all the new design manifold did was to move the MAP sensor position to a different location. It was never ment to stop the build up, just prolong the start of the symptoms.

I ran a blank from about 3200km & now run the electronic version from tony. never had any build up
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tezza08 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:47 pm

I think I might do a clean anyway, Ill go for another search and maybe order on of Tony's thingo's ( the joy of night shift, lots of time to search) I think its in this thread somewhere. :geek:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby Snooozy on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 pm

yep, give it a good clean & then get on to tony for a permanent fix ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jonb1760 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 am

2011 GLX-R.I have just had the manifolds cleaned in the shop and completed an oil+filter and fuel filter change after. The oil level seems fine, about the top mark. I also have Tony's EGR mod. Car is running great but there seems to be a really faint whistle under acceleration and there seems to be pressure build up in the engine. The dip stick is hard to remove and sounds like a sucking of air. After that the dipstick is much easier to replace and remove. Any ideas, not sure if there related or not.
jonb1760

Postby Masters12 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 am

I have one question i spoke to the ppl that work on my car and he was saying that they can turn or the egr so i dont have to use the backing plate anyone done this?
Masters12

Postby keno351 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:51 am

i bought the egr off module from chip it, its so easy just plug and play, 3-4 minutes, mines a mn
keno351

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems