Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Carbon Build Up, EGR Blank, Catch Can Information

Postby har05l on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:43 am

The ET mod shits all over the blank and if wired in correctly mitsi would never find it unless they started untaping looms which would never happen.

In regard to better fuel economy, mine has stayed the same
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:58 am

macca002 wrote:
Belbrook wrote:With the ET mod you have the advantage of the throttle plate staying open. This gives better economy in most cases

How much economy? 1lt saving over 1000lt's? If so, its not worth me hacking into the factory loom. I would consider doing it if I ended up with a check light.

I'm getting 1 to 1.5 l per hundred better.
Mn auto bullbar hardlid 275/65-17. L
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby macca002 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:03 pm

har05l wrote:The ET mod shits all over the blank and if wired in correctly mitsi would never find it unless they started untaping looms which would never happen.

In regard to better fuel economy, mine has stayed the same

It also costs 25 times more than my blank. If economy is the same and I am not getting CEL, then how does it shit all over the blank?
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Let's try and keep it calm lads. The resistor can be turned off on a hidden switch. The blank requires physical removal if you have a nosy dealer or vehicle inspector. The resistor allows the throttle flap to still do its work whereas I gather the blank interferes with that. Some vehicles object to a blank and so far it seems that less have a problem with the resistor. With the resistor the ECU is still operating within all of its expected parameters in that it isn't asking for EGR that it then doesn't get whereas with the blank that is what occurs. Some have achieved better fuel economy with the resistor. I don't monitor mine closely enough to compare. Others have also reported smoother acceleration and/or earlier boost and/or better acceleration and matters of that nature with the resistor. I am not sure on any of those for my part. I suppose you could call the resistor high tech and the plate low tech. Does that make one bad and one good? Matter of opinion I guess and everyone is entitled to one.

There may be other elements to the pros/cons debate. Let's try and keep it dispassionate and leave self justification/indignation or what have you out of it when commenting on the comparisons.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:10 pm

BusterMan2388 wrote:I have a 2014 mn triton with 6,000km on it. I wanna block the Egr I've been reading and reading.. But where exactly is the best spot to block it? Before the cooler, after the cooler? Or before the valve it after the valve? And is it gonna most likely throw a light? If so will it clear if I remove the block?

Cheers

maybe this helps http://www.chiptuning.com.au/wp-content ... MANUAL.pdf

Yes. no or maybe.
Scan gauge?
mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Same info is already on the forum in multiple locations. I prefer location 16 on chipit's diagram at that link. I disagree though with their suggestion that you remove the gasket. You should be able to fit both the gasket and the blank which will save you searching for the gasket later if you remove the blank.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dunney on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:18 am

Just read though all 9 pages of this. Just have a query, I was under the understanding that when I get a ecutek tune that this controls the egr?? If I installed the Tony mod would I.simply just have wasted my money on.what the tune would do?
dunney

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:43 am

Only in terms of the EGR. Remember that the ECU tune still gives you performance and the other option to get this would be a chip, which will cost you similar but not handle the EGR control function. Worth noting that ECUTek will only include EGR management by request - otherwise it is not enabled and you'll need Tony's mod or the Hope I Get The Right Value Resistor mod.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mitzikatzi on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 am

Probably worth having in this thread too.

NowForThe5th wrote:Too late. Done.

Thought it worthwhile to also add the following post, by Tony, with lead up, which may well get lost in the What I did Today thread. His comments are well worth considering:
quote big bird
al coholic wrote:
ICKIS wrote:Well today I fitted my EGR blank....

You haven't read about the resistors on here then? EGR blank is a bit old school now, don't get me wrong, the blank will work but you do run the risk of CEL's and those sorts of annoying problems ;)

There are a few different solutions for resistors, depending on how much DIY you want to do, Tony's is the simplest and virtually a plug and play item ;)

You'll find all the info if you want to search for it 8-)

blank works fine. Judgeing by his avatar he has a mn. Good chance he has had the ecu reflashs so CELs are old school

Tony wrote: I normally keep a low profile on this, but times have moved on since MMAL's software update on underboost issues over a year ago. Allowing a full blank is only a side effect of the actual reason for the update being barometric pressure differences.

So true the blanking plates seem to run fine these days on the VGT equipped 4D56, but if you look at what happens to the EGTs, Air fuel ratio, fuel economy, cruise hunting etc. I'm not convinced its a good idea anymore. :| I actually threw all my blanks in the recycling ages ago as realized the blanking still upsets the engine management with the negative manifold or lower pressures.
When you tune these great engines, tossing the blank and using the AIT resistor idea makes gains and does so safely.
mitzikatzi

Postby ReelBigFish on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:05 am

Hi All,
I've been a long time reader of this forum and its been a great source of knowledge to help me understand how to get the most out of my triton.

Only recently my car has started to skip/misfire every now and then and blow some white smoke. It normally happens at around 2k revs and generally when the car is cold but that's not always the case. I've got a ML with 132k on the clock and after reading several of these posts I think that it could be a problem with Carbon build up in the manifold, Do you guys think that the case?

I purchased the car at an auction 2 years ago and has been rock solid until now. Is this something that is covered by the 10yr warranty? and if so can anyone recommend a good Mitsubishi dealer in Adelaide.

Any help/info would be great.

Cheers
ReelBigFish
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN2014GLX on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 am

I think you only get the 10 year warranty if you're the original owner.
MN2014GLX

Postby gspy4u on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am

MN2014GLX wrote:I think you only get the 10 year warranty if you're the original owner.

Not any more. MM has stopped that and now only offer 5yr for new vehicles and no more 10y powertrain unfortunately.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:40 am

The comment was about about a ML
mitzikatzi

Postby ReelBigFish on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Yeah I had a look at the T&Cs and its only valid for the original purchaser. So do you think its sounds like the standard carbon build up issue? I think I'll head to my local mechanic to get it looked at. I just thought if I could claim it under warranty I would.
Cheers
ReelBigFish
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scale on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Did my Tony mod today pretty happy with the end result
Click to view larger picture
My hidden switch that's not hidden and looks like shite.
One thing that surprised me was the hole in my EGR blanking plate when I removed it probably been in for 4or 5 months, has anyone removed theIrs and notice any holes?
Scale

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Yikes. What metal did you use for the plate?

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:06 pm

I thought some had a hole intentionally to prevent error codes?
MN GLXR

Postby Scale on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yikes. What metal did you use for the plate?

Not sure Dave bought it off of Macca, I think he washed them in something to remove some rust, glad I replaced it.

MN GLXR wrote:I thought some had a hole intentionally to prevent error codes?

Yeah not this one it was a complete plate when installed.
Scale

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but is the hole in the image the bright white spot and the round black bit is the carbon deposit built up in the size of the round hole in the gasket? If so that wasn't drilled.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 pm

A few have reported holes. Mainly when installed at the "hot" end and using aluminium or light gauge steel.

That installation isn't quite what I'd call "stealth". You don't think a dealer might notice that rather obvious swelling in the harness?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Scale on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm

The dot in the carbon area is a hole that wasn't drilled in the blank, this was a solid plank when I installed it!
Got me flanged how a hole would be made while it was installed unless there was a flaw in the steel which is possible.
Scale

Postby Scale on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:A few have reported holes. Mainly when installed at the "hot" end and using aluminium or light gauge steel.

That installation isn't quite what I'd call "stealth". You don't think a dealer might notice that rather obvious swelling in the harness?

:lol: :lol: yeah thought the same thing 5th other than running some spit conduit I've got nothing. :roll:
Scale

Postby OffRoadDave on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 am

Surprised nobody has mentioned this before, I backtracked the loom for the sensor and it ends up on its own in the split tubing on firewall so this is where my mod will end up once I get the time to do it.
OffRoadDave

Postby Tony on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:22 am

Why we suggest fitting behind the metal bracket (holding that loom) and next the the ABS modulator. If done with some care, is very neat and out of the way.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:50 am

I did mine near the airbox.
I don't care about warranty
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove language
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems