Diesel issue

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Diesel issue

Postby Destruction on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am

Hi all, I've just joined the triton community. I live on the South Coast of NSW. Just sold my 04 GU Patrol 4.2. I've bought a ML GLXR 3.2D, and have since noticed a hesitation at around 2500 revs on light acceleration. I had a similar problem on my Patrol, and it was the inline filter that was starving the motor of fuel. Once I pulled it out - no problem. With the triton I have replaced the fuel filter yet the hesitation is still there. The engine management light hasn't come on. Does anyone have any ideas?
Destruction

Re: Diesel issue

Postby Mongrel on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 am

Firstly - Welcome to the mad house. Plenty here that will help you out with your new beast.

Are you talking about Turbo Lag? There is a fair bit of noise on it here... just do a search, you will find it.

Cheers
Mongrel
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Postby Destruction on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:07 am

Definitely not lag, feels like motor not getting enough diesel.
Destruction

Postby Blue on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:13 am

Or not getting enough air - manifold carbon issues...???
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:14 am

They are known to have a hesitation on very light throttle at speed. Usually, a re-flash helps. Maybe check to see you have the latest software. Certainly helped mine with the same issue
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Destruction on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am

Greedy, How much did Mitsubishi slug you to do that re-flash, or can you get it done at your own mechanics?
Destruction

Postby Greedy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Mine was still under warranty at the time so I have no idea. :oops:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Has to be done via MUT3 :( No idea of cost, should take well under the hour though.

Few questions for you,
How many k's
What year model?
Where is the map sensor plumbed in ?

Cheers Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Destruction on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Mine is a 2007, it has 103km, I not sure where the MAP sensor is though. My mechanic has had a few pajeros with the same issue. He hasn't been able to diagnose these issues yet though. It's funny cause it happens around 2100 revs on light throttle. If you flatten it, it just revs through the hesitation.
Destruction

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

I have a Diesel issue, the little bugger jumps on the bed in the mornings and licks my face till I wake up......generally before the alarm goes off :roll:

And yes, Diesel is my dog ;) :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Steane on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Destruction wrote:Mine is a 2007, it has 103km, I not sure where the MAP sensor is though. My mechanic has had a few pajeros with the same issue. He hasn't been able to diagnose these issues yet though. It's funny cause it happens around 2100 revs on light throttle. If you flatten it, it just revs through the hesitation.

Sounds like carbon build up to me. Mine had the same symptoms, but that doesn't mean it is carbon build up for sure...

Will still be under warranty won't it? If that's the case I'd go to a dealer and chat to them about it. If it doesn't have the updated intake manifold then they should fit for you under warranty. When that is done, fit a Provent and blank the EGR.

If it's blowing a bit of smoke and chewing through fuel as well then the odds of it being carbon build up rise considerably.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Destruction on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks for the help everyone, off to local dealer.
Destruction

Postby simonm on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I have a 3.2 DID with 90k on it.
I noticed a engine hesitation when coasting at about 2000rpm, when I applied light throttle.
The hesitation became gradually worst over 6 months.

Yesterday I removed the EGR valve to find tonnes of solid carbon blocking the throttle body.
from there I proceeded to remove parts of inlet manifold (heading towards the Head) Every part of the manifold was almost completley blocked with carbon.

After preasure cleaning all of the parts clean (A very Messy Job) I reassembled everthing and blocked the EGR pipe and took it for a run.
The car now runs like new with a significant change to the fuel economy, performance, and yes, no more hesitation.

If anyone has a similar hesitation my advice would be to, not touch the ECU, Injectors or fuel system. Just go straight to the EGR valve. If it looks grubby in the valve housing wait till you get to the inlets at the head!!!.

Even if you don't have a problem with your 3.2 its worth having a look down the EGR. as it's only a matter of time before it blocks.
Oh and make sure you block the EGR Pipe so that you don't have to clean it all over again 60,000 k's later.
simonm

Postby Destruction on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:22 am

Took the truck to Mitsubishi. They have uploaded 3 flash program updates. The truck seems fine. I'm going to clean the EGR valve and manifold still to be on the safe side. I'm contemplating block the EGR pipe after the valve. Only drama is that it voids warranty at Mitsubishi.
Destruction

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:15 am

Mine has had the EGR blocked since new... And fully serviced by the dealer with it in place.
GLX-R Alex

Diesel issue

Postby mattz on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:53 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Mine has had the EGR blocked since new... And fully serviced by the dealer with it in place.

That might be the case. But if you have a warranty issue and they see it, it might not be covered.
It might pay removing it when it is serviced so they are not aware of it.

Cheers "Random Guy"
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby natsterrr on Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm

My 2015 MN 2.5DiD has a hesitation at 2300rpm. Most noticeable when going up slight hills and accelerating. If you put the foot down it will accelerate but not as fast as before, and the car behind gets blinded by the smokescreen. Had a few dodgy looks when pulling up at traffic lights, and I don’t drive the car that hard.
Just had 75,000km service, their answer was to reflash the ecu. Got it back this afternoon and problem is still there. I still have warranty, but I just don’t know what to tell the dealer. I told them all this, it’s not immediately obvious to the test driver as it only happens on certain inclines and with certain throttle input it seems. Would love to put it on a dyno and see what the curve looks like...
I’m wondering about fuel filter, as I don’t think that was done in the service. They ‘inspected’ the air filter. They told me they’d get their main mechanic on the case who drives a triton and knows all the things that happen to them, but they didn’t mention anything about EGR, fuel filter, SCV or anything else that I’ve seen on here.

Not sure what to tell them or how to demonstrate it to someone who hasn’t been driving the car every day for the last 4 years...

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
natsterrr

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm

As indicated in foregoing posts, check that the intake manifold isn't blocked with carbon from EGR.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby lukeyboy2014 on Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm

my mn was doing something similar around that rev range more of a dead spot and was just fuel filter and some injection cleaner sorted it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
lukeyboy2014

Postby L200Shogun on Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 am

Just had 75,000km service,

75k is valve clearances. Inlet manifold should have been checked then.

Perhaps a can of this. If you blow lots of black smoke it's time for a professional clean
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/liq ... 15122.html
L200Shogun

Return to Fuel Systems