My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 am

Are you a member of the RACV/NRMA or equivalent? They offer free and unbiased expert advice on technical matters. How much warranty do you have left?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Have you spoken, personally, with MMAL about the matter?

call 1300 13 12 11 and express your concerns to them about this engine failure and see what they say.
You will be given a reference number and if in future there are drama's it can be called upon.

If the decision is to repair the engine, then you have little option but to see how it goes. It may just be fine, who knows?
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SecondEye on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 pm

I wouldnt let them throw that bit of metal away aswell. Only way i could see a glow plug seperating is if the piston hit the bottom of it meaning the cam or end bearings are suspect. I would be requesting they crack test the cam and/or just replace both piston cam and bearings.

On the subject of JIT its not acceptable not to house a minimum stock of parts trended from yearly data as to what is needed at least on the eastern sea board. Basic logistics isnt hard but they will honestly only do this if there seen to be a need.
SecondEye

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

by the sounds of it it is not something being covered by warranty as it is a workmanship issue.

it is up to the dealer to repair it for you to the condition it was prior to the problem. Let them go through the process of the rebuild but make sure you GET IN WRITING what warranty they will give you on their work and how it will affect your Factory Warranty.
I would be changing the oil in 1000km and get a sample of the oil analysed for any issues that may have occured that u may not be able to see.
Lee-thal

Postby Kegsy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Touching on the oil analysis suggested.

Make sure the oil sample is taken at running temperature, discard the first 100ml of oil then take the sample and finally the sample has to be at the lab 48hours or less from the time you took it.

Any longer and the result may not be accurate.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:37 pm

I would demand an independant assessment of the engine by an engineer that you nominate.
It's your engine and their stuff up. They are responsible for fixing it so it's as good as it was before and it's up to you to make sure that happens.
Find a qualified engineer with diesel engine experience and consider taking this away from them to have it fixed properly and then give them the bill. That way you will have everything you need if you have to go to court to get the money. They are trying to get out of this on the cheap and I wouldn't trust them anymore.
sierra

Postby Sky Miner on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Let em fix it...drive it til it's out of warranty then off load it.... trade it in... dont stress about it it's
only a car and they do make more' IMO i wouldn't keep it any longer than that.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm

sierra wrote:I would demand an independant assessment of the engine by an engineer that you nominate.
It's your engine and their stuff up. They are responsible for fixing it so it's as good as it was before and it's up to you to make sure that happens.
Find a qualified engineer with diesel engine experience and consider taking this away from them to have it fixed properly and then give them the bill. That way you will have everything you need if you have to go to court to get the money. They are trying to get out of this on the cheap and I wouldn't trust them anymore.

Amen!
You know what happened when it went run away. Go to a reputable diesel mechanic and describe what happened in detail and what he thinks should be done.
If there are bits floating around in it as they say, then I can't see how they could give it back to you without a full rebuild! The motor will never be the same and it's not your fault.
I thought this was why we went to dealers instead of the mechanic around the corner - so these types of stuff ups get fixed PROPERLY.
But at the end of it all, it's up to you to get the right outcome for yourself! You need to talk to a professional about your issues because sure as anything, once you drive whats left of your pride and joy out of the dealers, they are not going to look after you!
Froggy

Postby billeh66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am

Sky Miner wrote:Let em fix it...drive it til it's out of warranty then off load it.... trade it in... dont stress about it it's
only a car and they do make more' IMO i wouldn't keep it any longer than that.
:x

The thought has crossed my mind :x ...
billeh66

Postby billeh66 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I finally got my car back today, i drove around the block and noticed the turbo now makes a high pitch noise like a siren as im changing gears its really quite loud. So i drove it back and took one of the mechanics around the block he was very vague and agreed it sounded like the turbo but suggested i drive it and see if it goes away or gets louder and let them know.

Could this be the turbo about to die ?

I also got this in writing from the manager :

Thank you for your email in regards to your triton.

My understanding is, approximately 3000km after the service an issue occurred and vehicle was towed back to the dealership for inspection.

It was found that fuel was getting into the crankcase, this was as I understand it a leaking fuel pipe were it meets the injector.

We found that two injectors needed replacing and 4 glow plugs.

We have decided to replace all 4 injectors and all 4 glow plugs, this was enough to get the car up and running, we than decided to remove the engine strip down to make sure that no other issues were present or were likely to occure. Once the engine was stripped we found no further issues.

As in any business sometimes things do not go as planned and either mistakes or parts fail. We at Sydney city Mitsubishi stand behind our workmanship and make good any issues that arise, as in this instance, repair at dealer cost.

All our work is backed by our warranty.

I have also spoken to an oil company in regards to getting an oil sample tested, they have provided us with a kit, in 1000km we will take a sample and this will than get sent to an independent laboratory for testing.

Parts replaced were 4 injectors

4 glow plugs

4 pipes leading to the injectors

Head gasket

New oil filter

Oil

Service to the vehicle was carried out correctly, parts were replaced, time was spent, as mentioned earlier, parts are known to fail, mistakes happen and again, we as a dealer and any other trades person will make good a mistake or a failed part.

I am more than happy to carry out the 75,000km service free of charge.

What do you guys think ??
billeh66

Postby hvac guy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

If it wasn't doing it before then the engine has not been returned back too the way it was before the issue caused by the dealer.

request to be present when oil is sampled
And post yourself.

A reply letter stating the car has not been returned back to original
Running order.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm

That seems fairly thorough, just hope they stand by their words!
If the turbo is making noises that it wasn't making before this incident, I wouldn't be driving it. could just be a leak somewhere. could be bearings disintegrating + putting filings through the motor! Sure as hell they won't replace a motor if you keep driving it like that!
Froggy

Postby Homer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Sump gasket?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Homer wrote:Sump gasket?

Good point!
Surely they didn't reuse the old one when they cleaned out all the bits of piston rings and other debris before they put in clean oil? ;)

I would suspect the exhaust turbine might have taken a hit with some of the bits that broke off. If that's the case you would think the valves and seats would have suffered too?
It could also be the bearings in the turbo, diesel lubrication would have been bad as it maxed out.

Time for me to move on now that my Triton has found a new home.
sierra

Postby jop on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Homer wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Where should this engine be kept? I suppose we'll need one each capital city. Better make sure we have a 3.2 and a 2.5 and a petrol. And a spare of each. And then some spares for those standing by in Adelaide to replace the ones that get used. Now let's do it for the pajeros, challengers, outlanders, asx and so on for what, the last 10 years? Sounds like an awful lot of spare engines sitting around. Good thing real estate is so cheap,

I think it's a bit of a stretch to ask them to hold a petrol V6 engine....everyone knows they are the pinnacle of Mitsubishi reliability :mrgreen: :twisted:

They do hold spares for the petrol triton, most wrecking yards have a dozen early magnas, complete with cable acceleration ;)
jop

Postby Quinny on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I sense a disturbance in the force ... :twisted:
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Homer wrote:Sump gasket?

Good spot Homie
Froggy

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Sump gasket is just gasket goo..
TUFF TROOP

Postby borngeek on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 am

billeh66 wrote:I finally got my car back today, i drove around the block and noticed the turbo now makes a high pitch noise like a siren as im changing gears its really quite loud. So i drove it back and took one of the mechanics around the block he was very vague and agreed it sounded like the turbo but suggested i drive it and see if it goes away or gets louder and let them know.

Could this be the turbo about to die ?

I also got this in writing from the manager :

Thank you for your email in regards to your triton.

My understanding is, approximately 3000km after the service an issue occurred and vehicle was towed back to the dealership for inspection.

It was found that fuel was getting into the crankcase, this was as I understand it a leaking fuel pipe were it meets the injector.

We found that two injectors needed replacing and 4 glow plugs.

We have decided to replace all 4 injectors and all 4 glow plugs, this was enough to get the car up and running, we than decided to remove the engine strip down to make sure that no other issues were present or were likely to occure. Once the engine was stripped we found no further issues.

As in any business sometimes things do not go as planned and either mistakes or parts fail. We at Sydney city Mitsubishi stand behind our workmanship and make good any issues that arise, as in this instance, repair at dealer cost.

All our work is backed by our warranty.

I have also spoken to an oil company in regards to getting an oil sample tested, they have provided us with a kit, in 1000km we will take a sample and this will than get sent to an independent laboratory for testing.

Parts replaced were 4 injectors

4 glow plugs

4 pipes leading to the injectors

Head gasket

New oil filter

Oil

Service to the vehicle was carried out correctly, parts were replaced, time was spent, as mentioned earlier, parts are known to fail, mistakes happen and again, we as a dealer and any other trades person will make good a mistake or a failed part.

I am more than happy to carry out the 75,000km service free of charge.

What do you guys think ??

They got out of it cheap. Nice of them to chuck in a free service. :roll:

Drive it like you stole it and when it fails throw it back at them.. If you are "lucky" the turbo will chuck itself through the engine and they will have little choice then. :lol:
Turbo does not make a "high pitch siren noises" normally. They are very hopeful to think it might go away. :lol:
The 3.2 is a tough engine, but I doubt the turbo being lubricated by a diesel & oil mix was very good for it, especially when it ran away at a zillion RPM.

Any workshop can make a mistake, as he said, and are compelled by law to make good. John aint doing you any favours, biggest arse coverer on the planet. :roll: The engine should be replaced complete, period.

Good luck.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 am

I'm with geek. I'd thrash the daylights out of it and pray something goes bang :lol:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 am

Kegsy wrote:I'm with geek. I'd thrash the daylights out of it and pray something goes bang :lol:

X2
And keep records of conversations and phone calls......might also pay to get some advice from someone like fair trading I case things go further south.
They are only giving you a free service to make you think they are looking after you.
I honestly thought they would start with injectors etc and then realise more was required......they got out of it cheap. :roll:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Harro on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi there Bill I'm pretty much in aggreance with other members , be careful. That motor has had been dragged down the highway at 100 klms by its nutz. This is a dealer mistake and I'm pretty sure they would have just patched it up the cheapest way they could. (probs put the same apprentice on it that screwed it in the beginning). That cloud be a positive , cause I'm sure MMAL would slap em around if they didn't sought it out correctly.

Quote : So i drove it back and took one of the mechanics around the block he was very vague and agreed it sounded like the turbo but suggested i drive it and see if it goes away or gets louder and let them know.

GET FCUKed ... that noise shld not be there. "if it gets louder how about i shuv it up yr ass "

My thorts only Harro
Harro

Postby viking shippy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 pm

Striped down sounds like they took the head off..
Carnt see the rings, crank.bearings or turbo
From there,,!
new motor
Nothing less I'd demand it..
Or put a brick on the excel-orator till she blows...prob won't it's an ml
Lend it to geek for a week
Or fill the tank though the oil filler..
no seriously
I'd get a independent engineer to look at it and some legal advice..
Cheers shippy
viking shippy

Postby snowman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

just thinking out loud.

now that your dealer has admitted to stuffing it up, can it be claimed on your insurance and then they claim off the dealer?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 am

The dealer would have done the job under Their insurance no doubt Snowy, are you talking if the car has another failure??? Cause if so normal car insurnace doesnt cover mechanical failure, only accident damage
Lee-thal

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls