Diesel runs rough

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Diesel runs rough

Postby Mike on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 am

OK here goes. I have a turbo dsl with about 26000km on it. Since new it has had like a jerking/shuddering/misfire (I know its dsl) feel when doing about 90+ kph and you are just coming off cruise and just starting to take up power.
It has been to dlr twice and they are now telling me there is a new fix coming out this week or next. It involves computer and sensor changes but the svc advisor was a bit vague.
In relation to the symptom, what I do know is if I have been for a long run in it (more than 300km) it will not do it for a couple of weeks but it does come back.
This is not surging and there is no loss of pedal feel. It is not the shudder from diff as talked about and mine is an auto.
Question is, has anyone else got this problem as I have not found it on the forum.
I will keep all posted.
Mike.:-) :(
Mike

Diesel runs rough

Postby bigbaker82 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:49 am

New here but thought id add to forum, same exact problem but mines manual, 40k on clock only used as work rig = highway kms. had dealer chase problem each service no luck, has had reformat and centre bearing checked. also told about fix but not what date it comes out. Pain in the ass mainly cause i sit around that speed so it seems to do it alot.
Defintely lets us know how you go mike.
Cheers Bakes
bigbaker82

Diesel runs rough

Postby rick on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:06 am

had it from new mike,ive had an arm full of " fixes" and nothing can be done to cure it!
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Diesel runs rough

Postby barraxt on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:38 am

Ditto with me. It only happens when on trailing throttle and you just touch the throttle to maintain momentum...

Mine is in for a few fixes tomorrow (Windscreen cracked for no reason - New screen under warranty as this is their 6th at the dealer) but i have been advised the ECU reprogram is still not signed off.

The Mister Bushi inspector is spending time looking at our diagrams and other issues tomorrow to finalise shudder solutions.
barraxt

Diesel runs rough

Postby cattenglxr on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 am

let me know how you go with the shudder my dealer claims they cant feel a thing!
cattenglxr

Diesel runs rough

Postby jack on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:28 am

Same on mine !!!! I was told by the stealer at 30k service it was the cruise unit. I'll know more on sat as it's booked in to get the cruise looked at (fitted from new in 07). Wot brand is (if any) is your unit..
jack

Diesel runs rough

Postby Mike on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 am

Cattenglxr, if the dealer can't feel it, take them for a drive and show em. If yours is like mine, it can be a bit touchy some days to get it to do it and other days it won't stop.
Jack, the cruise control I have is Auscruise by Autron and was fitted at the dealer. Mine does not do it with cruise activated though. Does yours?
Mike

Diesel runs rough

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:54 am

I have that cruise fitted after delivery, the 3 button one, not the stick. Not had a problem. I did have a wierd think happen once or twice that sound like it was cycling fuel on acceleration, was going from lean to rich in a regular cycle (more clatter, then to more throaty acceleration noise, every second).
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Diesel runs rough

Postby subi_man on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 am

Jitsuka, mine started doing that recently - I disconnected the battery (to reset the ECU) and is hasn't re-occurred since :-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Diesel runs rough

Postby jack on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 am

Yes thats the same as mine ( rang the stealer today), no mine do'snt shudder with the cruise on, and yes it sems to come and go the same as yours. Well hope the cruise tec can fix the problem on sat'.
jack

Diesel runs rough

Postby jack on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am

Just had a thought has anyone had the shudder that has a chip fitted..:-)
jack

Diesel runs rough

Postby Mike on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:38 am

Good question. I have not got a chip fitted but are seriously thinking about it but don't want to do it until this is fixed cos we know what the dealer will say.... you have voided warranty (could always unplug though;) )
Mike

Diesel runs rough

Postby rick on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 am

does it with or without the chip mate,makes no odds what so ever
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Diesel runs rough

Postby tassietriton on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:08 am

Mine is heaps better with the DP chip - especially when dead cold.
I'm told that the ECU reprogram is due shortly.
Head mechanic in Hobart tells me that ECU program was revised to cure knocking noise when cold. The re-program fixed that problem but caused this one due to lack of fuel.
Anyone got a cure for the shudder in first gers when going uphill at low speed?
tassietriton

Diesel runs rough

Postby jack on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 am

Well did no good at the cruise tec.. Disconnected the cruise and still had the over-run on the acc and the and the shudder at 80km/h. But while i was at the dlr the mech said the ECU upgrade (due soon) should (could) fix the prob.....
jack

Diesel runs rough

Postby Mike on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:15 am

Just spoke to MIT dlr and they are telling me the kits are being assembled and should be at dlr within 2 weeks and can then be fitted.
Will keep all updated.
Mike

Re: Diesel runs rough

Postby Mike on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Surprise, surprise. Spoke to dealer today and the kits are still not ready. Tells me they are unsure when they will be but hope in next couple of weeks. Will keep all updated.
Mike.
Mike

Postby cliffo01 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Gents,

My Triton has suffered from this problem from new (06 GLX-R). Spoke to the service deprtment again today and they told me that they are waiting for a disk with the ECU update on it to arrive from Mitsubishi, hope to have it next week or so. What is the upgrade kit you all speak of? Is it simply the ECU upgrade off the disk or somthing else? Cheers.

CLIFFO
cliffo01

Postby Mike on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:39 pm

:D Well, got the upgrade done yesterday at the selling dealer. :geek: The reason for the stutter is that one of the ports in EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve gets blocked and this affects the fuel delivery. They physically unblock the port and then do an ecu reprogram. The reprogram is to change the way the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor operates to reduce the amount of gases through the EGR valve. This is meant to reduce the soot through the EGR valve and stop the port getting blocked.
I have to say that this does make sense as we have had multiple vehicles through my workshops that have running issues due to faulty EGR valves. It also makes sense that the problem in the past has gone away when I have done a long country run (greater than 500km) and only comes back after a few weeks of stop/start city driving.
Been for a couple of good runs in it today and all seems good. An added benefit seems to be an improvement of fuel economy of about 0.8 L/100km :shock:
Mike

Postby YogiOz on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am

Hotline Fix No. ML 13-002 Suction control valve sticking affecting fuel pressure is one hotline fix, does this have another?
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby Mike on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Yes, this is a different fix but I did not get the hotline fix no. sorry.
The other bad news is that this has not fixed it. It was done 6 weeks ago and the shudder/rough running has returned. It went back to the dealer yesterday and it has carboned up in the EGR valve again just as before. Dealer took photos to send off to Mitsu HQ so they can try again. It has been cleaned out again and running right again. Interestingly the dealer has said that most of the TD Tritons have this problem and those that have not been reported to the dealer probably have the problem but have not done anything about it or thought it was normal. :?
Mike.
Mike

Postby High Country on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 am

Wonder if they'll EVER find a proper cure............
Tip # 1 - Avoid stress & grief & low resale values with vehicles - do it once - do it right, buy a HILUX!!
High Country

Postby Stu-k on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:11 pm

......You did HC ;)
Stu-k

Postby cattenglxr on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 am

just reached 30000km having trouble with power drop out in second and third gear especially in the mornings the engine doesnt stop, however i have to pull over before power is restored anyone else have a similar problem?
cattenglxr

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Old thread Catten, there is a new thread on the carboning up of the inlet manifold, that could be the go.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Return to Warranty/Recalls