Tappet Rattle ??

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Tappet Rattle ??

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:26 am

Check the usual sensor connectors and try a dose of two stroke to see if any symptoms vary.

Side by side my son's mn is significantly rattlier than my ml with the same kms on the clock.

Sounds like you'd definitely want the valve clearances to be checked before or at the 30k schedule Qtech, wouldn't be impossible for a tappet screw not to be locked or properly adjusted from the production line. If that fixed it I'd leave em alone for the next 90k unless you're a rev head.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:28 am

Thanks for the replies fellas...
I arrived home last night after a 250km highway run. The truck sat in the driveway going tack tack tack as usual so I made a sound recording on my tablet to take to the stealers. The more I listen to it the more I am convinced it is a tappet. I will find out how to upload the recording FYI ....
Regards, Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:08 pm

An update on the rattle at cruise, tapping noise at idle...

These were sent to the local dealer and to MMAL today... Will wait for their feedback...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1mBewl_es
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfG-3ul57X4

Any opinions on what it could be ??
Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Any opinions on what it is?

Yep - exactly the same as mine only yours is quieter than mine. My daughter heard it across the room and asked why I was listening to my truck on my iPad.

Mine has been much the same for 6 years+ so far.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
My daughter heard it across the room and asked why I was listening to my truck on my iPad.

Out of the mouths of babes. Sometimes kids just nail it don't they? :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby aids84 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:24 pm

A noisey tappet will be a consistent noise at all load conditions, whereas the usual injector noise will change as load on the engine does.

The noise in those videos doesn't sound like tappets to me. You have to remember that the injectors are opening at 4300psi of fuel pressure at idle and up to 30,000psi at full noise, so they tend to make a bit of noise. I would try using the diesel conditioner as someone else has mentioned and see what difference it makes. I was skeptical of using additives in the fuel until I dropped some injector cleaner in my tank (had it laying around so thought why not?) and gained an extra 50 or so kms out of the next tank.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Yeah the comment on variance with revs is on the money. Mine is all rattly like that at idle but if I let the air conditioning kick in (at which point the revs increase slightly) the engine sounds much nicer.

The 2 stroke suggestion is useful diagnostically in that if it is injector noise then it should quieten down a little - in my experience anyway. ditto some of the fuel additives as above.

There are oil additives that claim to quieten tappets but whether they actually work i don't know.

In reply to Homer - could you make a recording of the noises your car makes for me please? My daughter is really constipated and if the noise effects her the same way as it did me when i drove it then it will save me a trip up to the chemist. :P
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby QTECH on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks for yr reply...
I am using diesel conditioner as suggested albeit on my second tank since the suggestion. I must wonder why the noise has been there from new and on the dealer provided fuel. The truck has only done 15000.
Common rail fuel pressures are similar for other makes of engines but they don't have the same tapping noise.
My Outlander is fine...it is a common rail diesel too... Obviously similar rail pressures.
My biggest regret is spending so much effort preparing the vehicle for extensive outback travel otherwise I would have cut my losses and traded it in by now.
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:26 pm

I wouldn't let a bit of rattle from a characteristically noisy engine put you off taking it bush. I think you are just as if not more likely to make it without issue in a Triton than any of the other dual cab offerings out there.

Has the dealer done an SQL for you? It should be done at every 15,000 service interval and can make a difference to the way the engine idles and on light throttle.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:19 pm

yes.. the SQL was done recently during its 15K service...

no difference...

It's not the reliability that concerns me as much as the frigging rattle I will be doing about 15K on the trip..
I have retired from a career of precision mechanical and electronic technology so to ignore something like this is not easy for me... Maybe Dynamat sound proofing in the cabin is the go ?? I am very familiar with Mitsubishis' reputation in electrical and mechanical engineering not to mention aeronautics, marine etc...
Normally very good products. Let's see what MMAL say about the videos....
I might create another world wide recall ... LOL
Thanks again,
Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:24 pm

I herd the Triton was the noises diesel on the market. However, I was in a Isuzu the other day. Wow Next time I will take my ear muths. Really noisy.
leonbee

Postby als1200 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 am

I have a work d40.
now that rattles!
als1200

Postby QTECH on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Update,,,,. After reviewing the videos, MMAL said it is normal...the dealer said there may be some tight valve settings. I don't believe I will get a realistic answer so will sponsor a valve adjustment service anyway.
The only other course of action is soundproofing. My son took delivery of a Colorado last week. Very quiet inside but a noisy motor outside.
Holden or Isuzu have done a good job of soundproofing....I will check it out...

Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan_4818 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:49 am

Ive got a knocking sound coming from mine. More pronounced when sitting in the cab. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Only when at idle with aircon off. Turn the aircon on or increase the revs and the knock goes away. Completely different sound to your videos though.
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:55 am

Update... been using additive with BP fuel only. Fitted extra soundproofing under bonnet...that helped. Went bush with others recently...one bloke had a Challenger
With the same engine...no tapping noise in his ! Dealer quoted $500 for a valve service .
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Update --- just had the 30K service done...including the valve adjustments...no difference to the rattle.
Mentioned it to the service advisor and he said his does the same... it is caused by the gudgeon pins !!
what can I say ...

Have tried the various suggestions with additives etc. but no real improvement. I give up !

No more Mitsu cars for me....

Thanks to all for your advice / help...

Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm

If a "service advisor" tried that pile of frog shit on me, I'd drag in the manager and suggest they are trading fraudulently!

Gudgeon pins!

First mn I heard fire up left me on my hands and knees looking for the bits that were going to drop out the sump.

My sons starts out noisey but quietens as it warms up.

What engine oil do you use?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AndrewQ on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

I've got a 2013 MN GLXR auto with 37,000 kms on the clock. I bought it second hand 9 months ago with just 20,000 kms on it.

I have a bad rattle mostly between 2,000 rpm and 3,000 rpm. Below those revs all is quiet and if you apply more throttle and load the engine it goes away, however as you back off the rattle will return. With a light throttle you can make it rattle sitting in that rev range around 60 - 80 kph. I suspect my problem is injectors though and not tappets as I would expect tappets to rattle at all revs and engine load.

I've tried diesel additives, two stroke oil, different brands of diesel all to no avail. It is the only thing that annoys the shit out of me about the ute. I've just ordered some CRD Enhancer to see if that makes a difference, I suspect not.
2013 MN GLXR Auto
AndrewQ

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:12 pm

you are right m8 it is the injectors i got a remap and it is nilly gone now
the injectors are tring to run lean as possible so they rattle it is annoying but a remap fixs it
how much 2 stroke oil u put in a tank and how often????
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Four of us on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 pm

I have the same issue. At 30k one of my injectors failed and it went into limp mode. They changed no 2 injector and every since then the rattle noise is there. Every time I take it back to the dealer they say that noise is normal. They told me to take he K&N filter out that could be the source, so I did...no difference....I'm over it....
Four of us

Postby AndrewQ on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am

coughy wrote:you are right m8 it is the injectors i got a remap and it is nilly gone now
the injectors are tring to run lean as possible so they rattle it is annoying but a remap fixs it

So where did you get your remap done Coughy and what was the cost? I have just fitted a CMD unit and a Kings throttle controller. The ute goes like a rocket now but the rattle has been exacerbated as a result.
2013 MN GLXR Auto
AndrewQ

Postby Jason91 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 am

AndrewQ wrote:
coughy wrote:you are right m8 it is the injectors i got a remap and it is nilly gone now

So where did you get your remap done Coughy and what was the cost? I have just fitted a CMD unit and a Kings throttle controller. The ute goes like a rocket now but the rattle has been exacerbated as a result.

We both got ours done at the same place. Ultimate diesel tuning at Geebung on the North Side in Brisbane. I think if memory the cost is roughly $1,500

TBH I don't care about the rattles anymore, I'm that accustomed to them if I'm not in a rattler I feel like I'm missing apart of me. Not to mention I love the three inch exhaust diesel smoke dumping pompous a holes at traffic lights in there mercs when I'm gone in a cloud of diesel.

Might be the young hoon in me
Jason91

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls