Tappet Rattle ??

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Tappet Rattle ??

Postby dirtpilot72 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Sounds normal to me. They are a rattly engine. I have given up worrying about it. Tritons are rubbish. 3rd world build quality.
dirtpilot72

Postby har05l on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 pm

dirtpilot72 wrote:Sounds normal to me. They are a rattly engine. I have given up worrying about it. Tritons are rubbish. 3rd world build quality.

Seriously :roll:

Every time you key something into this forum regardless the thread you bag out your triton :?

If your that unhappy with it sell the thing and go somewhere else and have your little tanties :roll:
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 am

Japanese diesel motors rattle?

Noooo, never! :roll::lol:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:43 am

dirtpilot72 wrote:Sounds normal to me. They are a rattly engine. I have given up worrying about it. Tritons are rubbish. 3rd world build quality.

Hiluxs and other utes are all made in the same factory
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby dirtpilot72 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:20 pm

har05l wrote:

Seriously :roll:

Every time you key something into this forum regardless the thread you bag out your triton :?

If your that unhappy with it sell the [censored] thing and piss off somewhere else and have your little tanties :roll:

Love to get rid of it, but trade in values are too low in regard to lease payout, last time i tried it was $10k difference. So i am stuck with it for at least another 18 months.
dirtpilot72

Postby paulobrien56 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Since I had my last service (45,000 I think) I have noticed what I would call faint tappet noise when travelling under load at around 100k. It disappears when I back off going downhill or cruising on the flat but cuts back in when I give it some gas. It does the same when on on cruise control.

I didn't notice it before my last service. Could the valve clearances have been incorrectly adjusted?
paulobrien56

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:10 pm

paulobrien56 wrote:Since I had my last service (45,000 I think) I have noticed what I would call faint tappet noise when travelling under load at around 100k. It disappears when I back off going downhill or cruising on the flat but cuts back in when I give it some gas. It does the same when on on cruise control.

I didn't notice it before my last service. Could the valve clearances have been incorrectly adjusted?

tappet or injectors?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flatcountrymick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:11 pm

my does it. I just ignore it. plenty of right boot and turn up the radio :lol:
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:07 am

The Jap diesels have been noisier than the Euro counterparts but the difference is closing.

Hydraulic valve lash adjusters would go a long way to quieting them along with more injection stages.

Sound deadning is largely missing in my ml, just about paint on metal around the body work.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLRkenny on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:02 am

The difference between most jap diesels and the euro ones is the number of pre injections used, our tritons use one pre injection of diesel to get the cylinder burning prior the the main injection to reduce the diesel knock on full combustion, euro diesels use up to five or six pre injections and therefore reduce the diesel knock even further.
GLRkenny

Postby OzJavelin on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 am

Luckily I've never owned a diesel before so I've had nothing to measure the NVH of the Triton against. It's noisey, but I assume that while it runs/drives fine that it is "normal". I have no intention on modifying it, and it will be sold before the warranty runs out .. so it's all good (I hope) :)
OzJavelin

Postby Maxiy on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:00 am

Triton - built in Thailand
D-max - Built in Thailand
Colorado - Built by ISUZU in Thailand
Hilux - Built in Thailand
BT-50 - Built in Thailand/south Africa
Ranger - Built in Thailand/south Africa

did i mention the above are built in thailand?

Hmmm guess we are all doomed to drive 'third world build quality' trucks :lol:
Maxiy

Postby variflex on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:14 pm

To be honest I appreciate a bit of a consistent engine noise, keeps me in touch with what's going on and any issue can be noticed immediately
variflex

Postby harland on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:41 pm

Yep my 2013 MN 2.5tHP has the rattle described, i Believe it is the diesel knock which is mostly noticed at light cruise speeds when gently accelerating, put the boot in and under hard acceleration engine changes fuelling and timing and rattle gone. When the small quantity learning is completed (I use a GSCAN) the rattle is gone immediately but it returns within about 300km.
harland

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:18 pm

I bought a diesel powered vehicle, I understood that diesel engines will have a rattle, that's what diesel engines do.......

FFS.... :roll: :roll:
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Maky,

this sounds like a typical common rail diesel, combine high rail pressure with the modern diesel that has low lubrication and well you get the rest, some other manufactures shield the noise better than others but it is still there....irrelevant of brand THEY RATTLE....so for the "Triton's are shit crowd" get out there and inform your self of the facts because you sound like grade A morons please take your uninformed BS to another forum if you hate tritons, :evil: every freekin IFS ute on the road is just a compromise as manufactures are trying to have an off road 4x4 behave like a dedicated on road car.

So what can one do, well not a whole lot but I can testify to one product "Flash lube diesel conditioner", 50ml per tank of fuel....in the first few weeks its not uncommon to have a blocked fuel filter as it flushes all the crap from your tank and lines.... with in a month or so you will notice a massive reduction in rattle and many months later the rattle will almost be gone, my bus is a 2010 MN GLX-R and when i got her she rattled like hell but now i rarely hear it (usually comes back if the missus forgets flash lube for a few tanks)...I have read all the science behind the product and all the independent tests and so far in my case it all checks out, Also when I can i use Caltex Vortex it in my trucks case appears to be the best match of fuel and engine.

Best idea is to give the product 3 - 6 months and see what effect it has on your Triton (use the bottle), I hope you have as positive result as I have with Flash lube. And No I don't have any affiliation to the product or sell it, just a long term user of it.

Others have had success with EDS additive as well.... :D

http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/diesel-fuel-conditioner.html

Mojo.. :geek: ;)
Monkeyz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

In my case the rattle is actually an injector noise rather than anything else. It kicks in at certain revs and sounds a lot like shitty tappets would. It's not a nice noise and mine is louder than others I've listened to. Still they've been that way for near 90,000 kms so I guess if they were going to crap themselves they would have by now.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:28 pm

a sql shuts them up for a while dave
just did mine with some 2t for good luck
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:08 am

Mine idles slightly quieter after an SQL and ditto some 2T. The injector rattle though is under decent acceleration and doesn't seem to change.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby docta.phipps on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:In my case the rattle is actually an injector noise rather than anything else. It kicks in at certain revs and sounds a lot like shitty tappets would. It's not a nice noise and mine is louder than others I've listened to. Still they've been that way for near 90,000 kms so I guess if they were going to crap themselves they would have by now.

Same as mine. I'm learning to deal with it but it pisses me off though.
docta.phipps

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Turn the radio up
GLRkenny

Postby coughy on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:59 pm

yer mine rattles at light throttle say around 2200 rpm but before or after that it is ok for a rattler box
or should i say a high spec diesel gerni lol
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QTECH on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:36 am

Hi Dinosaur.. I have the exact same issue with my MN . It has 15k up now and has rattled since new. The dealer says it is normal and MMAL keep referring back to dealers. I have been asked to submit a recording to another dealer for an opinion but I suspect this will result in a nothing found report. I have driven other makes of diesel twin cabs and they are quiet by comparison.
I too am a retired electronics engineer planning to do some outback touring. The rattle will drive me nuts unless something can be done about it .. The sound I believe is of an individual item like a tappet or piston slap.
I am disappointed in that MMAL want me to pay for further investigation. I have bought many new cars in my lifetime and never had such a response to issues with them. I also own a 2013 Outlander ... smooth and quiet .

I doubt I will buy another Mitsubishi though...

Rob
QTECH
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:19 am

yes i think it is a piston skirt rattle
these engines in side have a lot of differences in them some have ceramic on the skirts and some dont
some have smaller and some longer skirts so i suspect it is acombo of skirt rattle and injector noise u hearing
dont worry about it it is normal just drive it
you could try some of that motor honey to get the oil tacky to stick and stay on the moving parts
also try a slightly thicker motor ooil to see if the noise shuts up a little to proove you are on the right path
i have learnt to live with it
you wont get any joy from the stealers as they have no idead any of them useless
they think that a ltr of oil blow by is ok ?????
i was like WTF are u serious i have been building engines for 15 years (diesel and Petrol, Race and road) and i have never see that exceptable
i was told from a dealer and i quote
"it isnt a toyota mate" i was wtf r u serious so i said guess what dealer u just lost a sale on a 4x4 and service good work .
so they bought a bt50 now that is a nother conversation lol

so yer try that m8
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 am

Check the usual sensor connectors and try a dose of two stroke to see if any symptoms vary.

Side by side my son's mn is significantly rattlier than my ml with the same kms on the clock.

Sounds like you'd definitely want the valve clearances to be checked before or at the 30k schedule Qtech, wouldn't be impossible for a tappet screw not to be locked or properly adjusted from the production line. If that fixed it I'd leave em alone for the next 90k unless you're a rev head.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls