Speedo's

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Speedo's

Postby bensrocky on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Has anybody else had problems with there speedo. Mines been way out since new. Its more then the ADR 10%, Ive taken to Klosters in newcastle and they just told me it was fine. Which is not correct. i wont be going back there as its obvious to me that they dont have any good reliable mechanics. I was wondering if anyone in newcastle could calabrate them. Cheers
bensrocky

Re: Speedo's

Postby al coholic on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm

How do you know it's more than 10% out??

ALL speedo's read under your actual speed on ALL newish cars.......manufacturers then can't be liable if you are booked for speeding a few k's over....among other reasons!!

The Tritons "generally" read 6-7% under ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby colins7014 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm

My MN always read 8km slower than my actual speed but with my new cooper ST maxx it is only about 1-2 difference.
colins7014

Postby mad992 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 pm

thats right research and youll find tyre and wheel packages to fix the problem ;)
mad992

Postby bensrocky on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 pm

al coholic wrote:How do you know it's more than 10% out??

ALL speedo's read under your actual speed on ALL newish cars.......manufacturers then can't be liable if you are booked for speeding a few k's over....among other reasons!!

The Tritons "generally" read 6-7% under ;)

When i first drove it out of the show room brand new i could tell it was out just by the feel off it. So i decided to test it first on my GPS and yes i Know they are not an acurate test either, but thats all i had to go by for a few days, when i had the chance i tested it on the kilometer test on the F3 near wallsend it showed the odometer out and by the same as what the GPS was showing diferent. And at the sametime i tested it it next to a mates car which also was accurate to both the kilometer check and the GPS. Since then when ive been driving with other mates weve checked it next to each other and they all show that its out by the same amout. Ive also checked it afew times at road works when the have the speed radar up, and when i went down to melbourn the other week i checked it at the radar just near Albury and guess what it proved that it was out by the same as all the other tests. So unless all those other cars, GPS,Radars and road Kiometer test are all out by the same amout i think my speedo is out. And it was about 12% at 100km/h
bensrocky

Postby al coholic on Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Snooozy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm

using above mentioned kit, here's one I prepared earlier :geek:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4383&hilit=inaccurate+speedo+fix#p65449
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:00 am

THE ADR spec is not 10%

This is the Spec

The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test
speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship
between the speed displayed (V1 ) and the true speed (V2).
0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h
Lee-thal

Postby bensrocky on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for that.
bensrocky

Postby har05l on Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 am

This is as good a thread as any I think for what I did tonight coming to work.

It's become common knowledge that running a bigger tyre your odometer reading is out and I think this is what frustrates a lot of people when they do this and there fuel consumption goes up.

I zero'd my odometer and ran the hema app(gps) on the ipad to compare what the difference would be going to work.

What I got was odometer =38.9km's and the GPS =40.9

Now if I calculated this right I average approx. 500km's when the fuel light comes on so over that distance it's roughly an extra 26km's actually travelled.

So the way I've worked this out :? I've come to the conclusion that with the distance the odometer says(94k) I've done in relation to the time I've been running bigger tyres(86k) I should be adding another 4500km's :shock: to the odometer which would put me close to the 100k km's .

Obviously everybody will come up with different readings but for me it was interesting to say the least :)

/sorry mods just saw this is under warranty/recalls :oops:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 pm

With 245x75 fitted My speedo is under 8ks at 100k and 11.2 fuel consumption
With 275x70 I get a speed bang on at 100 and 10.2 fuel....All Garmin GPS tested..
That's an improvement ? In fuel.? Contrary to what others say I put this down to country driving and hardly any stop start ...traffic ...
P.s. Oh i had my manifolds cleaned today now I'm getting 7.2l/100k ..lol...but I suspect that will settle with more driving to go thing like 8.2... What lol ...I hope so..
Oh and to topic the speedo is dead accurate with the larger tyre size on and 10%tread left..
viking shippy

Postby Snooozy on Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm

speedo.jpg

sorry :oops: .......wrong speedos.

as you were gents

at least I'm still on topic ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby myself62 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

tested mine with a GPS today, with my just fitted 265/75/16's
The speedo is spot on for the first time :)
Bruno.
myself62

Return to Warranty/Recalls