My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

Postby boatpc on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Just out of interest, would it be possible to stall the motor by chucking it in 5th gear and dumping the clutch whilst brakeing. Or would this just cause more issues. :?:
boatpc

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm

boatpc wrote:Just out of interest, would it be possible to stall the motor by chucking it in 5th gear and dumping the clutch whilst brakeing. Or would this just cause more issues. :?:

Best bet would be a co2 extinguisher into the air intake ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby boatpc on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Yea I agree that would be the best bet fridgie but with nothing on hand would the 5th gear stall the motor or damage more part. Reading the other post a few back he stalled via the brakes and this had me thinking.
boatpc

Postby Calblitzen on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Best bet would be a co2 extinguisher into the air intake ;-)[/quote]

I had a closer look at my extingusher today and was reminded that that it's a powder one. That might be a bit messy through the intake. Might have to get a CO2 extingusher instead. I agree, removing the O2 should stall the engine.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm

I think dumping the clutch would be an issue, sudden loading like that could really blow things up. While moving, slowing with the brakes to stall would be much better, providing the brakes last.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby boatpc on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:24 pm

So maybe if pulled over, slipping the clutch in 3rd or 4th gear and imediately braking might do the trick to stall before its to late. :?
boatpc

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:50 pm

i must admit the 'run on' event from diesel leaking in to the bottom end is one of the few scary prospects of owning a diesel.

i think i need to get a co2 extinguisher. problem is that c02 is about quadruple the price over powder. less than a handful of these cars have runaway so it doesn't make for a good logistical case. :cry: :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baysie79 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 pm

We just had this happen to a landcruiser and we stalled it by taking off shirt and stuffing it into the air intake
Dont hesitate to ask dumb questions, they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!
baysie79

Postby viking shippy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Snorkels are good for this put apiece of card over the intake
Great way to stall a diesel
viking shippy

Postby fridgie on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 pm

viking shippy wrote:Snorkels are good for this put apiece of card over the intake
Great way to stall a diesel

Safari etc would require you to remove the head due to the water release channels. ;-)

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby billeh66 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm

BriggsMLGLXR wrote:I'm guessing I was given bad advice and now I'm gonna be paying for it..... Shit really does happen....

I feel for you Briggsy, it must be even harder having to pay for it all hopefully you havent damaged your engine too bad. How long did your engine run on for ?
billeh66

Postby T80SR on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

This just happened to my 2010 MN today, but i was on the highway in the wet and the thing just started accelerating uncontrollably towards the car in front of me! Chucked it in neutral in time and the smoke cloud obscured all 4 lanes in both directions!! - couldn't see 10m behind me... almost caused a nasty accident for the traffic behind. killed the engine and coasted to the shoulder. lucky I didn't try to restart it by the sounds of the previous posts....

Still in warranty and I'll be pushing for a complete rebuild/new engine... at least I'll try
T80SR

Postby mattz on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Sorry to hear mate. :(
Lucky it still under warranty.;)
Just out of interest.....how long ago since you had your last service done?
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby T80SR on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

yeah Mattz good pickup, I should've mentioned that.. about 3 weeks ago - 60k one, but has only done probably 800k's since.. a lot of similarities to the aforementioned!
T80SR

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 am

whats the oil level in the engine?
Lee-thal

Postby T80SR on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Not sure on the oil level unfortunately - will get them to report back when i speak to em next and ill post back.
T80SR

Postby T80SR on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Got the vehicle back on thursday, and all they did was replace 4 injectors and change oil/filter.. I was pushing for a new engine but they said I'd have to take them to court. dealer admitted fault and said that some "grit" had gotten in between where the high pressure fuel line connects and caused diesel to enter the sump and do all the wonderful things the OP had described. I at least managed to kill the engine after about 5-6 secs of it revving uncontrollably so that may have prevented further damage. Engine actually sounds fine with no unusual noises....yet. They didn't tell me the oil level either. See what happens as time goes on.....
T80SR

Postby snowman on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:58 pm

T80SR wrote:Got the vehicle back on thursday, and all they did was replace 4 injectors and change oil/filter.. I was pushing for a new engine but they said I'd have to take them to court. dealer admitted fault and said that some "grit" had gotten in between where the high pressure fuel line connects and caused diesel to enter the sump and do all the wonderful things the OP had described. I at least managed to kill the engine after about 5-6 secs of it revving uncontrollably so that may have prevented further damage. Engine actually sounds fine with no unusual noises....yet. They didn't tell me the oil level either. See what happens as time goes on.....

what i would like someone to tell me (if i was you) is what damage can occur PRIOR to your incident while the sump oil was badly diluted with diesel fuel that would have increased the viscosity a lot (and probably not done any favours for lubrication as the oil may have been too thin). so the damage may already be done to certain components even before the run away incident. :? :? :? :cry:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby T80SR on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Don't worry snowman, I tried all that, asked to get the donk independently inspected/tested, told them the potential damage that the incorrect viscosity oil/diesel mix would do, but they kept insisting that it runs perfectly, and that the warranty will cover any future mishaps if there were any - despite me saying that I didn't want to be stuck on the top of Fraser island with a difficult and lengthy recovery. Again they said I'd have to go down the legal route...
T80SR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:18 pm

How much time or KMs have you got left on the warranty?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby T80SR on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:How much time or KMs have you got left on the warranty?

still got 18 months warranty or 70000k
T80SR

Postby mIwoo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:06 am

so i had my air intake off yesterday as i was cleaning the filter... i had to move the car whilst my K&N was drying... i started my car and suddenly it didnt really start properly, then i got a sudden rise in revs, an immense high pitched zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound which sounds to me like the turbo going crazy. i immediately turned it off and it took about 2 secs to turn off. now i have an engine light. yesterday i tightened my the main hose clamp to the turbo as oil was leaking around it and spraying into the engine bay everywhere. have i got a leak in this hose? the car now functions normally, but the car sounds noisier. i also added 300 mls 2T to a full tank diesel yesterday for the first time, sometime around lunchtime. this event occured around 4 pm yesterday- after travelling around 20 kms with the 2T in the tank. with bp diesel and the 2T the car its smoother, no less noiser. what do you guys think?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:06 am

mine is a 2010 MN.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 am

i should clarify- ive tightened the hose clamp coming from the radiator to the turbo- as around that clamp is where is seems to be leaking oil. but i dont understand how that could be. ive checked the oil and its full. but i reckon its using a bit of oil as it was well over full a month or so ago
mIwoo

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:27 pm

mIwoo wrote:i should clarify- ive tightened the hose clamp coming from the radiator to the turbo- as around that clamp is where is seems to be leaking oil. but i dont understand how that could be. ive checked the oil and its full. but i reckon its using a bit of oil as it was well over full a month or so ago

It comes from the rocker cover via the positive crankcase valve Pcv...do you have a catch can a provent...
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls