My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

Postby snowman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:35 am

Lee-thal wrote:The dealer would have done the job under Their insurance no doubt Snowy, are you talking if the car has another failure??? Cause if so normal car insurance doesn't cover mechanical failure, only accident damage

well that was my query. it clearly doesn't cover mech failure normally but this was clearly damage from another party.

like if someone scratched your car and you could prove it, they would be found the guilty party.

there is no doubt that the dealer made the mistake. The problem i have with this is that they also decide how it will be fixed, clearly it is their interest to do it as cheaply as possible.

tough little engines but that 'run on' scenario is NOT normal motoring. it doesn't have correct oil viscosities and is clearly over revving. You would be a brave man to state that there has been no 'deeper' damage than those few parts they replaced.

i would feel a bit high and dry in my opinion. This isn't a fist banging post. If i was the owner i would be a little uncomfortable that the at fault party has made all the decisions, in their interest, with no inspection or advice from an engine professional.

I would be speaking with someone with engine and metallurgy experience as well as raising this with MMAL direct to advise you want IN WRITING, FULL INDEMNITY for the reasonable life of the vehicle any further issues regarding this motor that is related to this event.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 am

Your insurance wont care, cause they do not get involved with mechanical issues, thats what common law is for, However in the industry we are insured for workmanship and they will cover mechanical failures due to workmanship issues.

BUT The issue is not with MMAL Snowy, the problem lies with the dealer that completed the work.

The dealer has said in their letter that they will make good any further issues that arise from it, no doubt there insurance company ahs assessed the car and made there decision as to how to proceed, Trust me i have been down this line before with my previous employer, the insuarance company will make the assessment based on what they understand of the failure and the issues that have arise, the assessors are industry professionals that deal with engines all the time.

The reason for an oil test in 1000km is to determine if their is any foreign particles in the engine from this event. when the sump would have been removed if there were metal particles found in the sump then they may have stripped further,

There is no guarantee that there is not further damage but only time will tell in this situation. Will something happen??? No one knows,

As long as the dealer states that they will cover any future issues then why is that not enough?
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 am

TRUST mate.

we all know you have a different slant of customer service. Plenty don't.

I think for good reason nowadays people cannot TRUST companies do do the right thing. x2 when it comes to insurance companies. their goal in life is to pay the LEAST amount of money on any event. This clearly goes against YOUR interests particularly when they work for the at fault company.

Sad but true.

if the 1000klm test will be done then that sounds like reasonable advice.

i assume in these case we are talking about the moving parts such as turbos (imagine the RPM and possibly foreign matter through it) and bearings. early turbo failure may not show up in the oil test as parts of it are not interconnected with the sump.

we have dealers on here who blame overheating to bullbars FFS :roll: . in a few years time i dont like his chances of getting some things done........just saying.

Cynical - yep. Good reason - yep.

KEEP ALL YOUR PAPERWORK!!!!!
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:31 am

Trust is everything thats for sure and he is going to have to put the trust in them to stand by their word, hence the reason he got it in writing from them.

Keep everything about this issue and write everything down that is said. The oil sample should show up any signs of premature wear to any of the moving components which would be the only real thing to suffer from this, only time will tell.

yeah gotta love the bull bar causing overheating thing,
Lee-thal

Postby billeh66 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Kegsy wrote:I'm with geek. I'd thrash the daylights out of it and pray something goes bang :lol:

As tempting as this can be im not keen on destroying my own car like it seems the dealer is, because you can never know how these things can turn out, i would feel like a bit of a goose if somehow they wrigled out of it and then i would end up having to pay myself.

So after taking the car back i drove it for 1 day and decided not to drive it with my engine sounding like an ambulance siren. I took it back and they seemed sure it was just an air leak from a hose or something , it ended up being the manager himself who diagnosed it was the turbo (like i was telling them all along). They have ordered one in & should take about 5 days to be delivered, they said it was fine to drive in the meantime.

I have noticed i seem to be using more fuel than usual but wont know for sure until i get through a whole tank i usually get about 530k's to the tank. I checked the oil level seems a fraction over from full but only just, so im going to monitor the oil level if the exact fault happens again heads will roll !

Im planning on being present when they take the oil sample and also getting a sample for myself to possibly get tested by an oil analysis company of my choice.

They have agreed next 75k service will be free of charge which would be great if i didnt feel like my car was gonna come back with more problems lol.

Oh and another wierd thing is i noticed when i went to wind down the back window it previously had two stages 1st open about 2inches they 2nd fully open , now it just winds like a normal window ?? Even though i kinda prefer it like this i cant see how they could have affected that when they were working on the engine ?? I know this is nothing compared to my real issue but it makes me wonder what the hell are these guys doing ! :evil:
billeh66

Postby billeh66 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Homer wrote:Sump gasket?

G'day Homer,

what do you mean about the sump gasket buddy ?? Incorrectly fitted ??
billeh66

Postby Homer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:15 pm

No mate, I didn't realise the sump gasket was just gasket cement. I was wondering why there was no sump gasket on the parts list if the engine had been inspected...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Froggy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:17 pm

billeh66 wrote:
Homer wrote:Sump gasket?

G'day Homer,

what do you mean about the sump gasket buddy ?? Incorrectly fitted ??

He means that it would have been replaced + therefore on the list of parts if they pulled the bottom off the motor to inspect.
But I think Tuff Troop said that they don't have an actual gasket on the sump. (homer beat me to it... :roll: )

Also on the window, it can get confused from time to time and go into that mode. Removing the battery or something getting stuck in the window preventing it from fully closing sometimes causes this. Usually it comes good after a few restarts or winding it up and down a few times.
Froggy

Postby Tritium on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Sorry to hear your issues continuing, but not unexpected.
Apart from the lubrication being comprimised you just have to think about what actually caused the engine to stop?
Was it a part coming off, did it run out of a suitable air/fuel mixture, did it overheat to the point the pistons expanded and galled with the bores, did it suck a gut full of oil/diesel mix from the breather kicked up by the uncontrolled revving and start to hydraulic.
My bet is an overheat/underlubricate and piston/bore galling.
It appears the dealership are wearing this one which would mean a real tightarsed approach to customer satisfactiion.
The motor runs so there is nothing to fix attitude.
It will not be reliable which is already presenting itself. I wouldn't expect to get your 400+k out of the engine now either without a major rebuild.
Time to do some cost analysis. Motor replacement, full rebuild, legal action, trade in, Do nothing hope for the best but factor in reliabilty requirements like remote use etc.
I wish I had of ditched my Jackaroo at the first onset of issues whilst it still had a bit of reputation and second hand value. When I couldn't bare the reliability/repair cost issues any longer it was worth nothing as the poor reputation for that model had spread. I traded it as I wouldn't have been able to live with myself trying to sell to some poor family man like myself. At least the caryard has to provide some sort of warranty for their buyers.
Such is Life.
Tritium

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Mine did this to me today!!!!!!!!!!!! Just had the injectors replaced.. I was driving, heard it ticker so pulled over, turned the car off but it had other ideas, revved like crazy, smoke everywhere and then stopped!!! Coolant was coming out of the engine bay and maybe oil but not sure yet!! What the hell...
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Bloody hell hope this isn't contagious :shock:

You mean you got a runaway engine as well ??
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:26 pm

My injectors that were replaced were fitted by a mate who is a diesel mechanic so looks like my situation is going to get ugly for my bank balance..... Reco motors I've seen for $5k ish then add labour and other crap :/ think I should maybe take it to Local mitsubishi dealer or other diesel mechanic??
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Dunno I must have a runaway! It was pretty freaky man!

This is it happening, there was more smoke too.... Not happy!

Click to view larger picture
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:46 pm

After your injectors were fitted did your mate have access to a MUT3 to code them in or whatever they do?

Why did it need new injectors in the first place?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Was booked in for Wednesday to be coded, I called another mechanic who owns a diesel shop here and he said I could drive it to my place which I did and then this happened, it was low rev wasn't giving it any.. They needed to be replaced cause 2 were shot and i found that out a month after i bought it.... Not good
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm guessing I was given bad advice and now I'm gonna be paying for it..... Shit really does happen....
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby hvac guy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:27 pm

I hope your mate has a heart.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

when it comes to mates and money :oops: hmmmm
mad992

Postby drover on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 pm

O'Sheet my ML has ticked up 100K and going ok so do get a full service done OR just get the oil changed and leave the motor alone :?: I had this happen to me in a a rodeo, was going up a bit of a hill in 5th gear all of a sudden she took of like a 351 GT hit the top of the hill doing about 150kmh just turned the key off left it in gear and kept braking :shock: brakes were fadeing fairly bad by the time we came to a halt. When they pulled it down it had cracks in the pistons, broken rings, and cracks in the valve inserts.
drover

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Think I might have to wear it, feel like a prick if I blame him... Spoke to local mitsubishi dealer, got it booked in there for them to assess and run diagnostics on it, thinking it might cost a bit to go to them but if I get them to diagnose the problems, get a quote off them for repairs then might go to another diesel shop around town and see what they're charging..
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Get a motor out of a wrecked vehicle. About $3500, but they come up cheaper on ebay from time to time
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah I seen one on eBay but it was $5500.... Probably a better idea because I hear genuine Mitsubishi injectors are about $780 each, new glow plugs, oil and fuel filter plus labour that's gonna be one expensive trip.. So gotta weigh up the costs and go from there...
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby BriggsMLGLXR on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Guessing it'll prolly need a new head gasket as well...
BriggsMLGLXR

Postby har05l on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

BriggsMLGLXR wrote:Yeah I seen one on eBay but it was $5500.... Probably a better idea because I hear genuine Mitsubishi injectors are about $780 each, new glow plugs, oil and fuel filter plus labour that's gonna be one expensive trip.. So gotta weigh up the costs and go from there...

I just saw one on eBay for 2k with box and a few extras in Brisbane ;)

Can't work the ipad out to get link :oops:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Just be wary of the 4d56s on eBay, some of them aren't the HP model for the 4x4s so appear cheaper...

The 2.5hp normally is a little more expensive, so just clarify which it is first.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls