Rail dust thread

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: New MN Price paid - rail dust posts

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:00 pm

just picked up the MN. :D :D They go good with no weight in them. :shock:

the issue of additional money for rego, well, was not an issue. I think they just tried it on. :roll:

Those of you in Sydney know it had fair dinkum rained almost two weeks non-stop. Got a break this morning so went to pick up with my chamois in hand.

Guess what, covered in rail dust :evil: :evil: :cry: (dealer called it fallout)........ i think i must have killed a Triton God in a previous life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am pretty calm about the whole thing to be honest and with some great advice from 5th (thanks Chris) i basically told them how it was going to work. They agreed with me (it should be a warranty claim and not a dealer delivery issue).

Initially they would not let me write anything on the delivery docket i had to sign and the sales invoice. This was because they cannot deal with warranty issues, it has to be service. So i said OK i'll pick it up tomorrow and started walking out.........sales rep speaks with the sales manager and they insisted i take the car or they wont get their 2k cashback. (how glad i am it is going to them and not to me :shock: )

So they allowed me to write in the special conditions of sale that the rail dust (fallout) is to be repaired from all panels with no reduction in paint thickness.

Gotta take it back tomorrow. I will push for a respray.

The battle begins............... :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: New MN Price paid?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:05 pm

geez you're taking it well. I'd be curled up in a corner sucking my thumb after the run you've had :o :shock: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Here is a tip for all new car buyers. Always pick up in good light.

if the car is wet - dry it.

Look closely at the paint. The spots are not big but there are thousands of them on the car. You do have to look close - a bit like you might read a newspaper close.

I reckon 8 out of 10 people would have driven mine off today...........thanks to the info i have picked up on this website over the years i was a little wiser.

I cannot imagine how Mitsubishi can deliver their cars with little or no protection. I guess they do the maths and decide if it costs 5 million to cover every car properly or wear 1 million in resprays a year they are 4 million in front.

We dont have a lot of paint thickness to play with so if i want to keep the car for 10 years like my current MK i dont want half of it worn away before i even get to drive it much.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:geez you're taking it well. I'd be curled up in a corner sucking my thumb after the run you've had :o :shock: :oops:

i am actually sitting here laughing to myself. Mainly because there are three tritons in my front yard.

Who's the glutton for punishment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to Chris's advice i said to the sales rep straight up "Daniel before you even open your mouth listen to me. Mate this isn't your fault, it is Mitsubishi's so lets work together eh".

I was actually smiling while i said it. He looked at me quizzically and probably thought to himself "this guy is laughing - he might be psychopathic" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had some recent illnesses in my family and some with friends. Yes this is a pain and even a good result will see me with out it for weeks. but at the end of the day it is just a car. :roll: :roll:

Game of chicken anyone. I'm up for it. Bwahahahahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dbgalaxy5 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:49 pm

snowman wrote:
Guess what, covered in rail dust

Snowman.

Forgive my ignorance (put it down to my being a pom).. but what exactly is "rail dust".

I ask as I have just finished giving my week old Triton a seal and wax, and during the process noticed numerous specks and nicks, A couple of slumps in the paint, a very slight dent in the tray side, rust stains (for want of a better term) around the tailgate hinges and tailgate handle housing, and a few other paint flaws.

Other than the dent, slump, and stains the majority of these flaws are very small such that a casual observer wouldnt notice. However if I were to point to any of them, they are visible (you wouldnt be saying.. "what.. I cant see anything").

I had already noted a tailgate scuff, and front bumper scratch on the sheet when I picked up the car. But now I am unsure whether or not to raise these other issues.

There is argument (despite only covering a few hundred K's) that some of the marks are post delivery stone chips (though not all the flaws are of this nature). But even then one would have to question the durability of the paintwork if this can happen so quickly.

I am of half a mind that this is probably a fairly standard level of finish on these vehicles if one were to study any example very close, and of course I wouldnt expect Aston Martin levels of finish... but I am unsure if I should raise these problems. As you intimated, depending upon how some of these problems were resolved I could end up with even less paint than I have now!!

Sorry.. that was a bit lengthy, but would welcome opinions based on others experiences.

Edit:

PS. Please let me know if I should start a new thread or something, I just mention it here based upon Snowman's recent experiences.
Insert witty remark > <
dbgalaxy5

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm

dbgalaxy5 wrote:
snowman wrote:
Guess what, covered in rail dust

Snowman.

Forgive my ignorance (put it down to my being a pom).. but what exactly is "rail dust".

ah what the hell dbgalxy5 - it is general discussion. Anyway i did search for rail dust and got nothing but i am pretty sure 5th has explained it before. If someone can find it it will explain it 100 times better than i will.

so as i know it.........In literal terms it is the metal filings from railway wheels/tracks/brakes that become airborne and hot. when the car is on a carriage obviously it lands on the car and partially melts into the top coat of the vehicle. the iron then rusts leaving a rusty base. obviously there is metal there until it fully rusts away.

now my car apparently was not on a train but it could have been standing near a railway line or (yet to be resolved) it may be 'fallout' which could be metal/iron particles from industry etc.

it is not runs in the paint or scratches. It is not poorly applied paintwork. It is definitely particles that have landed on the car between the factory and the dealership. they are very fine particles that leave a rusty mark. as i described to someone else you need to look at the paint like you are reading the fine print in a document.

for what it is worth the dealer (service department this time) also acknowledged it. He said it has been rare (like he has not seen it for 20 years - he actually bought his 2IC out to look at it cause he was young and had not seen it before) but it used to be quite common. they are the service department for 4 brands and he said the other three (suzuki, kia and one other :? :? ) 'wrap their cars like babies' but guess what Mitsubishi don't. :roll: :roll:

i had my paint depth randomly tested today by a smash repairer and we noted the following depths:

Bonnet = 39 microns
Driver side guard = 38 microns
drivers door = 37
Tub (right) = 45
Tailgate = 40
Tub (left) = 41
Rear passo door = 41
Front passo door = 36
Near side guard = 41
Roof = 43

so apparently there is a 'wash' for it that is NOT a mechanical buff but they do need to polish it. They have offered a 'free' paint protection.

so i will let them do there thing and i guess if they reduce the paint thickness much we will take it from there.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 pm

I wonder if the fact that they have that bloody great big holding yard for Tritons out near Ingleburn has anything to do with it? That's pretty close to the rail line, although from memory some of it has some sort of shade cloth covering which I took to be for hail protection.

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wonder if the fact that they have that bloody great big holding yard for Tritons out near Ingleburn has anything to do with it? That's pretty close to the rail line, although from memory some of it has some sort of shade cloth covering which I took to be for hail protection.

i don't know mate. they swear mine came via port kembla. it was built in Jan 2013 so it has been sitting somewhere for a few month i guess.

still got me buggered why they don't cover them. :roll: :roll:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm

snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Rail dust thread

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 pm

This thread has been created for posts out of the new MN price paid thread which have been copied over - see here for the original posts http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4581&p=346323#p345711

Further rail dust and paint work posts should go here and not in the price paid thread.

Cowboy Dave

Re: Rail dust thread

Postby Lunny on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 pm

I have had the same issue with mine, dealer blamed it on canopy fitters
Lunny
Lunny

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 pm

You are correct Snowy. Your car would have come through Port Kembla where it sits right next to Bluescope and its Blast Furnace, BOS and Iron ore delivery systems. :shock:
Next time I am over at the Graincorp, next door, I will take a picture of the holding yards and their proximity to Bluescope.
In fact type in "Port Kembla Inner Harbour" into google and go to satelite view. The car holding yards are next to the grain terminal, empty in photo but full at the moment. Bluescope iron ore holding yards are due south. Guess what happens with every southerly that comes through
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:05 am

Can that stuff get into your diff? Just asking...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:13 am

Your diff is sealed, apart from the breather.
A small amount might get in through the breather, but it would be miniscule.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 am

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13364&p=324610&hilit=paint#p324541
reference to a topic on grinding sparks and the resultant "fix"
read the great post by Nowforthe5th
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:03 am

Homer wrote:Can that stuff get into your diff? Just asking...

ag9111 wrote:Your diff is sealed, apart from the breather.

ignore him Garth. :roll: :roll:

and thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Mrs Mitsubishi are you lurking. :? :? almost all your aussie delivered cars (certainly NSW ones) are now entering (and some are clearly being stored) in a significantly improper place especially as YOU DO NOT COVER THEM like almost all other brands. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is therefore not a one off issue with this delivery method. You need to do something about it!!!!

ALL purchasers, look at you car PRE-DELIVERY very closely and look for this issue. The more we notice and don't stand for it the more chance they will do something about it.
Last edited by snowman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for the thread CD.

i have also added some info on that thread from 26 cross reference. That is the one i was looking for 26, well done.

except for how it happened these threads could actually be fully merged with 'rail' dust' welding marks' or similiar in the titles.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 am

snowman wrote:
Homer wrote:Can that stuff get into your diff? Just asking...

ag9111 wrote:Your diff is sealed, apart from the breather.

ignore him Garth. :roll: :roll:

Yeah, worked that out. Way too tired at the moment. :roll: Didn't get it. :oops:
Had to have it explained :oops: :oops: :D

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Good thread, Snowie.

Not much I can add except that I'm going to buy some of that purple stuff and double my charges for removing rail dust! :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Lunny on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Update on my rail dust issues, i went into dealership yesterday and showed them the spots under door handles and in between the window rubbers and they have agreed to give it a decent going over, one thing we noticed it was behind the seal on the rear quater window rubber.(will get pics) so the guy at dealership seems to think it may be a factory issue as its behind the rubbers aswell ...... May be worth taking a look guys. it peels back easily.

On another note while i was there i looked at a outlander and it also had a few spots coming up on it, so definately worth having a look at even if its a few months old.

Cheers

Lunny
Lunny
Lunny

Return to Warranty/Recalls