What were your warranty claims and recall information

Exhaust

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Any one an idea of the zorst size??? 2" or 2.5"
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Exhaust

Postby trouble on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm

2.75" is best but very $$$$, go 3" I say.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby hvac guy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm

4" even better
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm

trouble wrote:2.75" is best but very $$$$, go 3" I say.

I have also been told this.

I am keen on hearing some of the exhaust mods on NTN if anyone has some to share?
:D
macca002

Postby tritonmal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea. Thanks just wondering what the standard size is 2" or 2.5". Looking at fitting an exhaust brake. Comes as 2" or 3"
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 pm

tritonmal wrote:Yea. Thanks just wondering what the standard size is 2" or 2.5". Looking at fitting an exhaust brake. Comes as 2" or 3"

Your fitting a what ???????

I carry a 20kg danforth and some 12mm silver in the passenger foot well..
Just in case the brakes fail...lol
Ru serious I've never heard of a vehicle under 5 tonne needing or having a exhaust brake....let alone it being legal...
viking shippy

Postby AussieTriton on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

Looking at my MN, its 2 1/8" diameter from the factory. Considering the size of the turbo exhaust housing and the engine is only 2.5 litres, a 2 1/2" system with straight thru muffler is more than adequate up to 30 psi boost. A 3" system is really un-necessary and just more cost. IF it is actually 2 3/4" tubing on the banana bender system, that size is unusual and expensive to produce (mainly used on larger Jap trucks) and mufflers must be custom made. I havent worked in the exhaust industry for many years, but I have a lot of experience and knowledge regarding exhausts and as a rule of thumb, bigger is not always better (unless you're compensating for another deficiency). :lol: 8-)
AussieTriton

Postby siwren on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm

For those who have after market exhausts or heard others who have, any thoughts on which ones are the quietest? To me diesels arent the most sporty sounds going around and keeping it quiet but gaining the performance offered when combined with a chip would be great .
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby macca002 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Has anyone considered going for a CAT back exhaust system? Or is there little to no gain in doing this?
Just asking, as mitsu said going a full exhaust may create warranty issues if something reared their head down the track.
macca002

Postby homer56 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 pm

I put a 3"turbo back roo system on mine.they say no problem with warranty..had 15,000 service an nothing said by mitsy dealer..
homer56

Postby homer56 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm

I put a 3"turbo back roo system on mine.they say no problem with warranty..had 15,000 service an nothing said by mitsy dealer..
homer56

Postby viking shippy on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

siwren wrote:For those who have after market exhausts or heard others who have, any thoughts on which ones are the quietest? To me diesels arent the most sporty sounds going around and keeping it quiet but gaining the performance offered when combined with a chip would be great .

Edited for accuracy:
The performance increase is minimal to none on a bog non chip motor except cooler egts
The reason you put on a 3inch system with a chip is to get rid of lag achieve great preformance and to reduce egt.s
Last edited by viking shippy on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viking shippy

Postby tradieb on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:10 pm

My 3" exhaust definitely helped eliminate some of the turbo lag. Then I had my ecuTek tune done, which made it even less again.
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:15 pm

homer56 wrote:I put a 3"turbo back roo system on mine.they say no problem with warranty..had 15,000 service an nothing said by mitsy dealer..

They wont say anything.......until you have a turbo problem, then try and get them to warranty it :lol: :lol: I bet they will blame the non-factory exhaust and tell you to whistle Dixey. As long as the replacement exhaust has a cat convetor fitted, and its own warranty, you are ok. However, if the turbo has a melt-down, MMAL will quickly blame the non-factory exhaust and baulk at warranty repair. :P
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

tradieb wrote:My 3" exhaust definitely helped eliminate some of the turbo lag. Then I had my ecuTek tune done, which made it even less again.

Can I ask what you paid for the EcuTek tune? I've considered going this route rather than a chip.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 pm

viking shippy wrote:
siwren wrote:For those who have after market exhausts or heard others who have, any thoughts on which ones are the quietest? To me diesels arent the most sporty sounds going around and keeping it quiet but gaining the performance offered when combined with a chip would be great .

The performance increase is minimal to none
The reason you put on a 3inch system with a chip is to reduce egt.s

Agreed. Now if I were making the exhaust myself (and I just might), I would go 3" from the turbo thru a hi-flow cat down to the first joint, then 2 1/2" from there. My reasoning is that exhaust gases start cooling immediately they exit the cat convertor, so as the gases travel down to the tailpipe outlet, they cool and contract. So, by down sizing the pipe, it keeps the flow velocity of the exhaust gases up and actually can make it act like a vacuum to help pull out the gases. With a large case 2 1/2" offset inlet, centre exit straight thru muffler with a chamber in the centre, it will flow well and be quiet inside the car, with minimal resonance.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 pm

macca002 wrote:Has anyone considered going for a CAT back exhaust system? Or is there little to no gain in doing this?
Just asking, as mitsu said going a full exhaust may create warranty issues if something reared their head down the track.

The factory cat pipe is the most restrictive part of the system, so the benefits of a cat-back are small, if any. Talk with your dealer/service department, you might be able to come to some agreement over what is/isnt affected under warranty by changing the exhaust. Then, its up to you to decide if its worth it. A cat-back wont affect warranty of the car/engine, but MMAL wont accept any claim for the aftermarket exhaust or possibly turbo failure.
AussieTriton

Postby Honky on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 am

centre exit straight thru muffler with a chamber in the centre, it will flow well and be quiet inside the car, with minimal resonance
mmm, someone must have owned a 2 stroke racing bike.

Honky
Honky

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:15 am

Changing the exhaust CAN void warranty. :roll: I've seen several turned away now due to over boost issues.

Hopefully the new software update released from MMAL will cure these without the additional tuning I had to do to the last auto MN that was overboosting at sustained higher RPM and under heavy load. It's now fixed, but at the expense of custom tuning.

The quietest system I've come across would be Beaudesert.

Three inch does make a huge difference to the MN when chipped.

Last weekend we put a 2013 MN (stock as a rock) with new Dominator Mk1 fitted on tune 4 against a late 2009 (Same chip/tune /no hi-spec rail limiter etc) with three inch exhaust, 32" tyres, bar work etc.
The Owner of the 2013 drove both vehicles on the same road and was amazed of engine response difference and extra low end torque from the free low exhaust. Was chalk and cheese. 8-)

In stock form, questionable although the resent overboosting auto MN owner I had call in claims he picked up a lot more response off the line. He now has a lot more power too. :roll: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 pm

I stand corrected
Thanks for the info tony
viking shippy

Postby AussieTriton on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Honky wrote:centre exit straight thru muffler with a chamber in the centre, it will flow well and be quiet inside the car, with minimal resonance
mmm, someone must have owned a 2 stroke racing bike.

Honky

Only 2 strokes I own is a chain saw and wipper snipper :lol: Have NEVER owned a 2 st motorbike. :P
AussieTriton

Postby Two75 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Just bought a brand new 2013 MN. Feels like it needs an exhaust upgrade for sure. Would the 3" inch be an overkill ??
Two75

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Yes, unless you're going to chip it as well.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Two75 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:12 pm

The chip will come later down the track. One mod at a time for me as I don't have deep pockets lol. Thinking the exhaust first then snorkel then chip ???
Two75

Postby viking shippy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Just a quick question was thinking of a 6inch exhaust and a exhaust brake do you think my truck will sound like a 410 cummins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
viking shippy

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls