Any rust areas?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Any rust areas?

Postby myself62 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Not sure which section this should go in.
Has anyone found any rust in their Triton?
I found a touch of surface rust under my bonnet, at the seam that sits above the left headlight (when bonnet closed).
Sanded it, treated it with a rust inhibitor, painted it and clear coated it. Also sprayed Lanolin all inside the bonnet.
Would be interesting to know what areas in the Triton are prone to rust so I can keep an eye on them as I intend to keep mine for a while.
Bruno.
myself62

Re: Any rust areas?

Postby Tnt355 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Around window sill at rear n round black gutting on the roof..
Tnt355

Postby Lunny on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 pm

I have til dust everywhere, in the middle of warranty at the moment. Which reminds me I should call Mitsubishi Monday
Lunny
Lunny

Postby macca002 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I have surface rust on the tailshaft where it bolts to the diff, and on the headboard brackets. Am keeping a very close eye on both. If its just the brackets, then I can live with that.

The surface rust on the diff is going to be ended soon. Will touch it up before going to town with some under body rust protection - which will happen as soon as the wet starts.

Not really a good start considering the 4x4 is under 6 months old.
macca002

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Upper inner corners of most door/window sills...maybe all of them...I don't really look...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Upper inner corners of most door/window sills...maybe all of them...I don't really look...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby mattz on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Maybe in your keyboard too Homer? :lol: :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mad992 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:46 pm

ok ok we heard you homer
mad992

Postby Lunny on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Really wants to prove his point lol
Lunny
Lunny

Postby Duck on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I have been opening the front to doors and spraying the hose is the gap especially at the bottom & have had some terrible stuff come out :cry: So that seems to be a little hidy hole.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Bigbirdalx on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Under the foot well groment, house from underneath.
also for me anywhere underneath thats hit coffe rock. Surfrace rust but cleaned it back n re painted ;)
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby viking shippy on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 pm

As for rust I'd keep a keen eye on the thin body panels and the chassis..
the drive shaft and diff look unsightly but not a corrosion problem as their cast and seem to just get surface rust .... It's as a result of dirt roads and stones hitting them and wearing the black paint off....I just lanacoated in the door cavities and I spray the under body with lanacoat twice a year..only surface rust from dirt roads so far for me on my 07ml...
viking shippy

Postby rayc71 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:49 am

Mitsubishi acknowledge there is a manufacturing issue with the Triton that leads to thinner paint application and leads to rust. According to the paint shop it's only the white ones so far (damn it!).

The dealer fixed the minor rust issues on my MY12 with no problems. I agree with Viking: check the thin body panels, around seams and around the window rubbers as this appears to be the areas most affected.
" That'll learn ya!!"
rayc71
Platinum Subscriber

Postby navh on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 am

hey rayc71 do you know where i could find that info about mitsubishi acknowledging the thin paint? I have a silver 09 ml and have rust in the top corners of my door/window area and over the roof. I have taken it to mitsub and am waiting to take it to there paint guy to have a look. Mitsub guy said that he has never seen it rust in that spot and should still be covered under warranty. Will find out in January
navh

Postby Snooozy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:31 pm

I also have rust spots at the corners of the window rubbers.
seems it is a re-occurring theme.

I did tell the dealer last service & he took pics to send to MML & I never heard back :roll:

I rang a few weeks back & they have lost the pics :twisted: I have to take it back for them to have another look.

I might just mention this thread if they say it's a once off.

5 yr warranty runs out in May so I need to get onto it soon
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Took it back to dealer today, more pics taken.

they have seen this before & it seems pretty straight forward, they will get 2 quotes (from the pics) & will arrange to book it in to respray the bad areas.

will report back when it's done
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mrhele on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:46 am

I took mine back to Wakelings yesterday, took pics of the rust coming up on my tub, pretty straight forward, will be resprayed In a few weeks.
Nik
Mrhele

Postby macca002 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am

Mine is going in Monday afternoon to have some photos taken of rust that has appeared on the headboard of the tray - the welds where it joins the tray all have surface rust on them now. Less than a year old, not very happy :evil:
macca002

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:11 am

This info doesn't apply to your specific 'cases' of rust appearing but I just mention it for the sake of 'food for thought'. My wife many years back now, worked as a car detailer for Toyota and she relates many instances where she saw newly arrived vehicles ie, straight off the ship from 'Nippon' which had obviously beeen exposed to contact with sea-water at some point during their delivery voyage. It was her job to help -clean up the evidence- prior to the vehicles being sent out to their stealers network across Australia for on-sale to the 'unsuspecting punters'. :shock: :o :evil: :twisted:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheWall on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 am

I'll back that up...over 20% of cars sold need paint and or panel before being sold due to transport or storage related damage. Wish I still had the pics of the unlucky chap who crashed a 911 at high speed...inside a ship :lol:

The really bad ones got put on as dealer demonstrators :shock: or manufacturer loan/drive cars.
TheWall

Postby Pom10 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:55 pm

I have noticed a couple of rust areas on the roof in the channel for the roof racks. there are defined indents(circles)in the the channel and a couple of these have rust appearing on them
( never Been on the beach ) gets washed once a week or after most trips
Will be reported to the dealer on the next service (45k)
See what response I get
Cheers
Pom
Pom10

Postby Bigbirdalx on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Pom10 wrote:I have noticed a couple of rust areas on the roof in the channel for the roof racks. there are defined indents(circles)in the the channel and a couple of these have rust appearing on them
( never Been on the beach ) gets washed once a week or after most trips
Will be reported to the dealer on the next service (45k)
See what response I get
Cheers
Pom

Those are called spot welds. One of mine is rusting bad. Sent pics to service manager via email, gonna bring in soon. 17000kms
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Pom10 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks for the letting me know what they are called
Cheers
Pom10

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:54 am

Just another general observation, as further 'food for thought' on the subject of 'early rust' appearing in Triton vehicles. Thailand has in recent years suffered annual flooding, some of it, on a truly massive scale, which has regularly disrupted all sorts of industrial production over there, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility at all, that your own late model Triton vehicle -could- have been a 'casualty' of those floods where it has been affected by the ingress of either fresh (well, almost..?? ;) ) or even, salt water, whilst it's cab or chassis was sitting in the holding yard outside of the factory, waiting it's own turn to be shuffled up the queue, and onto the assembly line. European brands such as VW actually galvanise their chassis and under body parts prior to vehicle assembly, because of the common use of salt that's scattered over their icy frozen European roads in winter. Perhaps if there are enough buyers who make 'early rust perforation' claims on Mitsui's warranty, they might finally get the cost / benefit message, and decide to start galvanising their own vehicle parts too, so that they can -survive- sitting in regularly flooded, Thai assembly plant holding yards...? :shock:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:58 pm

AnOldFart wrote:Just another general observation, as further 'food for thought' on the subject of 'early rust' appearing in Triton vehicles. Thailand has in recent years suffered annual flooding, some of it, on a truly massive scale, which has regularly disrupted all sorts of industrial production over there, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility at all, that your own late model Triton vehicle -could- have been a 'casualty' of those floods where it has been affected by the ingress of either fresh (well, almost..?? ;) ) or even, salt water, whilst it's cab or chassis was sitting in the holding yard outside of the factory, waiting it's own turn to be shuffled up the queue, and onto the assembly line. European brands such as VW actually galvanise their chassis and under body parts prior to vehicle assembly, because of the common use of salt that's scattered over their icy frozen European roads in winter. Perhaps if there are enough buyers who make 'early rust perforation' claims on Mitsui's warranty, they might finally get the cost / benefit message, and decide to start galvanising their own vehicle parts too, so that they can -survive- sitting in regularly flooded, Thai assembly plant holding yards...? :shock:

Old fart..Wow... do you know this for shure ....that the Thai mitts plant regularly floods..?:shock:
my truck regularly gets wet when I hose the under body of mud regularly from field trips.and when it rains..European cars are gavinised as they get hammered from incredibly large amounts of rock salt laden roads, that is used to give you traction and rid the roads of snow... In the cooler parts of Europe every where you look you can see evidence of salt and corrosion... cars don't last very long there without extreme corrosion protection....oh the have never heard of electronic rust protection either....
I don't think we would have a problem with that kind of salt corrosion here unless you drive in salt water regularly and never wash your truck....poor euros they carnt even wash their car till spring everything freezesss...brrrrrrrr....
viking shippy

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls