What's a Diesel Leak?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

What's a Diesel Leak?

Postby Shady on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Had an issue with the air bag warning light on my '10 GLX-R which took a few weeks for the parts to come in...They rang to say its all done and I took the opportunity to ask about an issue we had an issue with hunting. The manager called back in an hour and said that they've found the problem which he described as 'Diesel Leak'. It's a $10k job to get fixed and will need Mistubishi to approve the work under warranty which has now been given... Can Anyone shine some light on what Diesel Leak is?

I had read through the forums and noticed many issues with hunting and also carbon buildup which is being fixed under warranty.
Cars has 85,000 and we only bought it 6 months ago so no idea about past issues.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected spelling in topic title so that it can be found again in the future.
Shady

Re: What's a Disel Leak?

Postby 12tryton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm

a diesel leak means fuel(diesel)is leaking somewhere(if externally you can smell it)
i would think if its a $10k job to fix its a very major componet
$10k is around injector pump sorta area(although im sure not that much $$)

read through the tech section hunting is usually the carbon build up saga
You take the high way,i'll take the by-way
12tryton

Re: What's a Diesel Leak?

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Diesel pump has sprung a leak on mine, upwards of $2000 on the warranty claim so I'm told.
10k is 1/3 of what these cars are new now, I'd very much doubt that the pump is 1/3 of the cost of the car.
If it it the 2.5 the return line of the diesel runs through part of the cylinder head, would have to be something close to that I would think for that sort of $
GLRkenny

Postby mattz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm

My guess is its had in internal leak and filled the sump with diesel.
There have been a couple of cases of this from when the dealers have done a tappet adjustment and a seal hasn't seated properly resulting in diesel filling the sump.
Did they mention anything about injectors and when was it serviced last?
10k is probably the cost of an engine rebuild......luckily there are covering it under warranty.
Give the dealer a ring and ask them to tell you what has happened in layman's terms.......they should do this.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Shady on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 pm

My most humble apologies....After talking with the Mrs it wasn't a diesel leak it's a Turbo leak.. I can see how she got the two mixed up :oops:
Shady

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Still not close to $10K....I'd be asking questions...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Shady on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:24 pm

i think your right homer.. I;m going to have to ask them more....I did get that because of the location of the leak its 3 days work to get it done. But it doesn't seem that a turbo leak or boost leak can be that expensive to repair unless its more then just a hose that's leaking...maybe the turbo itself or throttle body something expensive.. who knows.
Shady

Postby Mooons on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm

I think NowForThe5th waisted his talent correcting the spelling mistake
I dont think it matters how you spell Diesel Leak when its a turbo issue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

No doubt, Mooons. :lol: It's a quiet night and I thought that it would help. :roll:

At least we now have the answer to the question "What is a Diesel Leak?"

Answer: "It's a turbo leak".

I think we might wait for further clarification on the exact nature of the problem. At this stage I have absolutely no idea what this thread should be titled or even whether it shouldn't be in the "Dumb things that the wife said" thread. :roll:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Shady on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:I think we might wait for further clarification on the exact nature of the problem. At this stage I have absolutely no idea what this thread should be titled or even whether it shouldn't be in the "Dumb things that the wife said" thread. :roll:

ROFLMAO.....I shit you not, that's what she said, diesel leak..... But I still cant work out who's the bigger fool, me for thinking that's what the service guy said or... :twisted:
Shady

Postby mIwoo on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 pm

My stealer is questioning whether mine has a turbo leak too... My radiator to turbo hose was perished ( after 52k) and caused the split in the hose. Oil spitting all over the bay amongst decreased power. Apparently the hose was coated in oil on the inside. He is questioning whether my turbo is leaking oil and if so may need replacing. Apparently it's a recognised problem by Mits and a few have been coming through waggA with the same- full turbo, hoses and sensors etc replacement plus fitting. Estimated to be worth about $6k worth. Dunno. I'm playing the waiting game til my next service to see if the new hose has perished also, and if it has, new turbo comin up! Is this similar?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby donks1 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Sounds like a Turbo replacement, ( leaking oil, nothing unusual about that ) You may find they are doing manifold / EGR at the same time. ( nothing unusual about that either ). All up would be around the 10K mark.
Steve
donks1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I reckon $10k would be closer to sticking a new motor in. I can't see how a turbo would go anywhere close to that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby al coholic on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Perhaps the dealer is just talking it up?? Making it sound like they are bending over backwards for the customer with this "expensive" repair??
:?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Bigbirdalx on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:46 pm

Maybe its a 10 DAY job to allow for parts etc. Not 10 K job
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby al coholic on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I think we are slowly getting closer to the truth :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Shady on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

al coholic wrote:I think we are slowly getting closer to the truth :lol:

And we're there...i had a call from the service manager today saying Mitsu head office has approved the warranty work so I took the opportunity to ask whats happening.

The turbo is being replaced, the EGR sensor is being replaced, the manifolds are being cleaned out and the Air Cond is also getting a work over. 3 days work booked in on Monday.

Also asked him about installing a catch can and installing a EGR blank plate to block it off as I've read in the forums here. Interestingly he said don't bother. Diesels by their very nature will have carbon buildup, just need to clean it our every year or so. He highly recommended using BP Diesel and also mixing in the OEM Mitsu cleaner additive once a year.
Shady

Postby Froggy on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Mechanic doesn't want to recommend something illegal.
Blank it off as soon as you get those manifolds clean.
Froggy

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:01 am

Shady wrote:Also asked him about installing a catch can and installing a EGR blank plate to block it off as I've read in the forums here. Interestingly he said don't bother. Diesels by their very nature will have carbon buildup, just need to clean it our every year or so. He highly recommended using BP Diesel and also mixing in the OEM Mitsu cleaner additive once a year.

I bet your bullshit detector was pegging the meter every time he opened his mouth. They wouldn't have carbon deposits, if there was no carbon to deposit! I have had a number of earlier (non-EGR) Diesels, and they never suffered from any carbon deposition. "Just clean it out every year or so" :!: You've got to be kidding. Why bother, when you can just fit the blank and be done with it. Although he probably doesn't want to suggest an illegal mod, he doesn't have to make asinine comments. Nice plug by him for the OEM additive though :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls