Cracked filter casing - sand ingress

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Cracked filter casing - sand ingress

Postby chickencake on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:31 pm

how is the sand getting into the oil? past the air filter ? am i missing something here... sure sand would stuff all the valves and wouldnt do anything great at all, but how does it get into the oil? have to be a shit load of sand..
chickencake

Postby lgil86 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 pm

viking shippy wrote:It's on rubber isolation mounts so you will be able to shake/moove it..
It's only mounted in three places...not four points like it should...

Yea i noticed, but I would of thought it would of been more a shock absorber than actually loose wobbling about?? Then again I don't design cars for a living :lol:
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby donks1 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 am

Seems the OP has disappeared. Comes on. Has a cry, and is gone again. 1 and only post trying to gain some sympathy from Mitsu??? Maybe he has realized his errors?

Steve
donks1

Postby pedroleswift on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 am

I have some personal knowledge of the original post on this. There was no damage to the airbox, it seems most likely the filter just distorted under engine load and sand bypassed it, leaving a large quantity of sand in the box itself. Unfortunately, no snorkel. The vehicle had just almost done a successful Simpson Desert crossing but failed at the finish. Mature aged experienced 4w driver, no silly buggers on the dunes, just a straighforward trip in a small convoy, and the other vehicles (not Tritons) all made it without any issues.

The engine is ruined due to sand ingress, and the car had to be recovered from Birdsville to Melbourne. To add insult to the injury of a nightmare trip, Mitsibushi won't honour the warranty, claiming interference, but only their people had ever touched the air filter and box. This vehicle has only done 8 000 km, mostly on the bitumen.

Owner has had to buy a replacement car to get to work and has had an undriveable Triton carcass in his driveway for months while he takes Mitsubishi to court to see whether a new car warranty is actually worth anything at all. First hearing later this month.
Last edited by pedroleswift on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedroleswift

Postby salt36 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:11 pm

This is interesting, keep us informed Pedro...

Welcome to the forum too 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby pedroleswift on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:43 pm

An update on this issue is due. Resolution of the warranty matter went to court some weeks ago. Mitusubishi at last accepted responsibilty for the engine failure, though the root cause of the failure would appear to be a defect in the filter cartridge itself, which they don't make.

The engine has been replaced by Mitsubishi, the warranty restored and extended, and registration and insurance costs while the vehicle was off the road reimbursed. Its just so disappointing that such a lot of anguish and extensive legal action was necessary to get them to honour the warranty. The car was off the road for six months, but is now mobile.
pedroleswift

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Wow
I've always been of the opinion that the factory filter is not acceptable but I have never used any of the alternatives due to warranty

Sucks to be in this position knowing that it could be better but unwilling to stuff with the warranty

Glad MMA came to the party and you let us know , shame the angst etc that it would have caused you during the event.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby viking shippy on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 pm

I bet your glad that's over
Good result...
viking shippy

Postby salt36 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks for the update Pedro, a good result in the end. 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby mattz on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks for the update mate.

Are you saying the sand got through the filter. :?
Or a defective filter caused the crack in the housing and let the sand in.
I'm just a little confused as to what the exact problem is.

Apart from all the heart ache going through the processes,it's a good result. 8-)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby pedroleswift on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Clarification - there was no damage to the filter housing. The filter itself was cracked, so it deformed under high air intake and the sand bypassed it straight into the engine. Uncommon, and unlucky. Compounded by the fact that that the engine failure happened west of Birdsville and that Mitsubishi didn't want to know about it.

Also, it wasn't my car, I just happen to know well the owner and original poster, who is bound by agreement set in court not to post details of the settlement. So he hasn't.
pedroleswift

Postby mattz on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks for that clarification ;)
Now I understand.....it was a faulty oem filter.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls