2011 MN 50,000km New Diff......??? !

What were your warranty claims and recall information

2011 MN 50,000km New Diff......??? !

Postby Desert Brewer on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Took the chariot to the dealers today to be checked out after noticing a surging sensation at low revs, i have had the hotfix for this issue and suspected the same.

I get a call from the dealer at lunch saying that i need a new diff ! I proceeded to ask if there was any explanation and apparently there isnt......its just one of those things :? "Ok, i will see you after work to pick up the car " at which point i half thought that there may have been some further investigation as to what the underlying issue is, but no, all he says is the diff is starting to "bind" up and he has got approval to get me a hire car and the new diff is ordered, although no ETA, "could be a month,could be 6 weeks, could be longer" he says" as there is no new suitable diff in the country. :o

At this point the cynic in me is starting to ask questions about why he hasnt asked me any questions ? No questions around where and how have i been driving - nothing. Felt like he couldnt get me out there quick enough.

This isnt the first time i have dealt with a warranty issue, over Christmas the thermostat failed a few hundred kms north of Coober Pedy :evil: - had to nurse it into Coober and then to Pt Augusta where it was replaced, we had to spend an extra night in Pt Augusta - no mention of any assistance for the accom we had to fork for by the dealer and were told by MMA that it wasnt covered in our warranty. :x ......we had a good stay and were not to fussed as we swam all day because the temp was about 45 - it was way better than driving.

Anyway, point is, and i know it may sound strange, but the dealer has raised my suspicions by being to helpful ! a hire car for as long as i need it - no questions asked. Its going to be a drag not to be able to take the chariot glamping over easter - as i have it very well decked out for such events.......atleast i will be able to get away.

Is the diff fail a known issue ? Is it a common issue ? maybe it is "just one of one of those things", but im having a large degree of difficulty buying that.

Can anyone provide any info or experiences with similar diff issues, i am still a little perplexed as to how this has happened.

Thanks in advance.

DB
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit title to remove unacceptable abbreviation
Desert Brewer

Re: 2011 MN 50,000km New Diff......WTF !

Postby mattz on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Be grateful it's been picked up and the dealer is doing everything to help you out. 8-)
Might be worthwhile naming them. ;)

The diff thing isn't common but it's not uncommon either. :? If you know what I mean.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

2011 MN 50,000km New Diff......WTF !

Postby Brent1 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm finding some dealers are obviously more helpful than others. You hear some horror stories with different dealers/brands but I must say the service dept we have dealt with have been fantastic. No questions if you ring with a problem - just bring it in and we will fix it for you. You might just have a good one to deal with too? But in answer to your question I haven't heard much about diff issues sorry. Just wanted to comment to allay your concerns about your other question
Brent1

Postby har05l on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 pm

New diff, nice 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

:???: It's not a common problem at all.

Front or rear?

Good to hear they're sorting it out for you but I'd be very sceptical of the cause? Don't think for a second these dealers are on your side. :-?
Most of them will try to screw you.:roll:
It was probably them that stuffed your diff. :lol: Anyway sounds like they are righting a wrong.;-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Desert Brewer on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 pm

I guess the cynic in me is a bit quick to react these days - given that profit margins seem to be reducing across many industries and reps of these industries are looking to make a buck for themselves or save the the company a dollar or two. I will definatley thank the dealer when i see him in the next day or so.

I am aware that the production process of any item is not perfect and they allow for a margin of error, so maybe i just have to wear the fact that i got a vehicle with a couple parts that fall into the margin of error range.

I still feel a bit perplexed by it...... the acknowlegment that the diff was stuffed so quickly without wanting any info - for such a major component ... leads me to suspect that its happened a few times despite what the dealer says.....but as Mattz says , its common but its not.......anywho, we move on.

Yep....the new diff diff will be welcome and im just glad it didnt let go 600km up the Tanami Track - i can keep filling the radiator with water to get me out of trouble - not sure what id do if the diff seized - crawl along with the front wheels dragging that big arse end and hopefully not pay the recovery bill :lol: .

Cheers,

DB
Desert Brewer

Postby Hymie on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:02 pm

My diff let a seal go at about the 75000 mark. Rang the dealer as soon as I could and was told to drive it in. Thought that was strange and let him know my concerns but did as he asked.

End result was a new diff ordered and a loan car for a week while waiting for it to be fixed. That was 2 years ago on the way home from Easter camping.

I must say thank you to Leethal (Eagers Newstead) for a great service. And don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Not every dealers can be tarred with the same brush and if you have had nothing but great service from them, then give them a rap so others can enjoy a dealer who is willing to look after their customers.
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby arobbo67 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:48 pm

A good time for the locker to go in, perhaps?
Robbo.

Being cremated will be my last chance at having a smoking hot body....
arobbo67
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:20 pm

10 yr drive train warranty is comforting!
MN GLXR

Postby Desert Brewer on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm

The irony.......the hire car is a Hilux Dual Cab ! :roll:

I have the factory rear locker,so thats what is going back in.

The 10yr Drive train warranty.....had hoped i wouldnt need it, but i do and MMA have come to the party :D
Desert Brewer

Postby trickydevil on Tue May 13, 2014 7:27 am

That's a great response from the dealer. A friend of mine recently had his rear diff shit itself. He has a Amarok. Got it towed to the dealer, they had it for a week or so, he has same tyres as standard but in AT's and a 2in lift. They gave him a bullshit story, saying 12K to fix. After 2 week of getting no where its been reported to the industry ombudsman and he took it to his mechanic $2k in parts and 4-6 hours labour he was back on the road.

makes you wonder doesn't it.
trickydevil

Re: 2011 MN 50,000km New Diff......??? !

Postby Desert Brewer on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 pm

The diff centre finally arrived after 7 weeks. Got the Triton back last week all seems OK at this point.

I will take out for some wheeling on the long weekend a bit of road, sand and rock hopping and she how it goes.

I asked if there was any technical reason as to why it needed replacing , unless "binding up " is a technical term. No explanation forth coming.

Anyway....pretty pleased it hasnt cost me cent. :D

Cheers,

DB
Desert Brewer

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Dump the oil out at 1000km's and replace it with quality new oil in the new diff and don't load it up too much for that period.

Do that and you will be well on the way to having no more issues. Simple things like that make a big difference.

Your dealer's explanation sounds dodgy to me but whatever... Did they drain it and not refill then go for a test drive? :o
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 pm

DB. Strange that your problem developed after the prescribed 45k service where your diff oil would have been changed.

Wonder if the apprenti might have put the wrong oil in the diff?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls