Gearbox warranty repairs

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Gearbox warranty repairs

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 am

It would be interesting to see who has had the 2nd/3rd syncro repairs done under warranty, what the build date is and how many km's before it got done. Mine was picked up as an issue by the dealer at the 15k service, after I had a whinge about shifting gear when the box was cold. There was no hesitation in sorting the issue by the dealer (Gateway in Wollongong), in fact they were quite pro-active in getting it organised.

GLX, 06/2013 build date, 15400km.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Gearbox warranty repairs

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Sat May 03, 2014 4:29 pm

I've got a 10/2013 triton glxr and have got the downshift issues from 3rd to 2nd. I've only had mine 1.5 weeks and it started about 3 days (200 km) after purchase. Got mine going in for it's complimentary 1500km service in a couple of days. I've already talked to the dealer service dept and they say they haven't heard of this particular problem, but they are going to keep it overnight and test it cold the next morning. Fingers crossed I get a positive outcome.
I no longer fear bridges, for all the trolls have moved to the forums....
Lethal_Leroy

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Lethal_Leroy wrote:I've already talked to the dealer service dept and they say they haven't heard of this particular problem, but they are going to keep it overnight and test it cold the next morning. Fingers crossed I get a positive outcome.

According to my dealer, there is a hotfix item number for this issue.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Bill, when you next talk to your dealer see if you can get the Hotfix number and p[ost it up in the Hotfix thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MervinJ on Sat May 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I thought I had seen it before...

Doc wrote:I've got the invoice at home - I'll post the codes etc when I get home if anyone's interested

Per the invoice (the problem was that we couldn't always get from 4th into 3rd and 2nd was starting to go the same)

"Found Hotline Fix MN22-001 Hub Sleeve Incorrectly Manufactured"

Hope that helps
MervinJ
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

I will show the dealership that number, im sure they've seen it before and playing coy with me. They did admit to the issue of the 4th to 3rd problems, but deny seeing a 3rd to 2nd problem before.

I'm not to worried yet, my brother in law had a gearbox in his 2011 swapped out without hassle and one my customers had routinely destroyed parts on his triton and even though they are threatening to never sell him a car again, they still abide by the warranty, even if it's getting doen to the fine print on what they will do for him. Probably understandable considering his blown and engine, broke a driveshaft, gearbox, susspension, 2 diffs, sheared off the bolts holding on the wheels, shorted out some electrics and even got a seat replacement. I might not mention I know my customer though, I dont think they like him much ;-)
Lethal_Leroy

Postby srb on Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 am

:shock: What's the deal with your customer? How did he distroy all those parts in such a short space of time? :-?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 am

That's mad!
Think this needs to go in the thread for 3rd gear issues.
Crash486

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 am

Srb he's a mad as a cut snake, great bloke, honest and to the point, but as he said to me once, it's sold as a 4wd capable vehicle and it has a warranty so he's going to drive it hard and have some fun. He's fully aware that it will be a wreck and worth nothing probably by the time the warranty is up, but he's happy to live with that. Considering what his done to his and how it's somehow survived, that gave me the confidence to go with the triton ;-) although I don't think I could ever bring myself to drive mine that way.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun May 04, 2014 8:34 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Bill, when you next talk to your dealer see if you can get the Hotfix number and p[ost it up in the Hotfix thread.

I will. It should get done sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I will also try and get some paperwork as to what work is actually performed.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Mines in at the dealership today for a service, pick up tommorow hopefully. Service dept is happy to test the gearbox and fluids in it. Tommorow will hopefully have it all sorted. The mechanic I know there said he has seen a few tritons with tight downshifts that loosen up by the 6000 kms, but usual first step in the process of elimination is auto transmission fluid in the gearbox.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am

Picked up triton today, dealership took it for a drive and noticed the problem. Solution was to dump gearbox oil and replace it with better quality oil, all other gear changes are heaps better, the third down to second is improved but still not perfect. Dealership is happy to keep eye on problem now they know about it, but they want to see if it loosens up over the next couple of thousand kms and if not, they will take it apart. Not an instant resolution, but an improvement and at least it's on file as a problem and if any problems persist they guaranty they will fix it.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Yeah I think the new direction from MMAL is to try the ATF solution first and if that doesn't do it then they replace the synchros or whatever it is that goes wrong in these.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Fri May 09, 2014 2:38 pm

That's right Dave, and rightly so, I mean when you think about it, there's a chance that it is just a running in issue that resolve itself and the atf is the first step. It's unreasonable to rebuild every box at the first sign of trouble when some gearboxes just need a bit more of a run in only.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 09, 2014 4:17 pm

That's a really positive attitude to have and I can see why the dealer is looking after you. I hope the ATF approach works out.

I'd be very interested to see the statistics though on what the breakdown is between the ones that come good and the ones that go on to the full repair.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby norto on Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Mine is one of the worst gearboxes i've ever had.
Almost impossible to go from first to second without missing the synchros.
Pete
norto

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Short term update, 200 kms after the ATF fluid was put in on complementary service, the gearbox is loosening up quite a lot. Still not 100% at cold, but instead of 30mins of driving and lots gear changes to get it to move from 3rd to 2nd easily, it now only takes 5mins from home ( that usually involves 3rd to 2nd twice ) and its pretty good. Still a little knotchy on some downshifts, but it's a massive improvement. Will see long-term what happens, but fingers crossed all is good from here.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby thunderace on Mon May 12, 2014 4:38 pm

picked mine up from dealer today, they changed to a thinner oil, as recommended by mitsi, apparently the synco ring issue should have been fixed ?????, will report back if this has fixed
thunderace

Postby Calblitzen on Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I dropped mine off for its 45k service tonight and we talked about the the issues I'm having with 4th to 3rd starting to develop. He said that they have found that changing the oil makes minimal improvement and that the only fix is to pull the gearbox and repair it. He tells that they do most of the work in their and they only sent out the main shaft as their press isn't big enough. Will see what they say about my gearbox tomorrow afternoon.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Calblitzen on Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Update. Picked the truck up after the service today. Went through what was done, get to the 3rd gear issue and he says, yes there is a problem you will need to bring it back once the parts arrive that they have ordered. Will need the truck for 3-4 days. Good service I think.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Ok, update after 500km after service. Gearbox is settling in nicely. Still have occasional downshift hesitation, it's not a failure to shift, more so a slight stiffness that a quick jiggle overcomes, slightly annoying but habitual technique now doesn't see me noticing it. Hopefully this will resolve itself further.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby micv on Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 am

Yea I had complained a lot and had them go through all the trouble of changing synchro etc but it still does it. Now it doesnt bother me at all because I have changed my tecnique. I find that when shifting between gears if you pause momentarily while passing through neutral it doesnt stick when you continue.
micv

Postby alian on Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 am

Had ours done a couple of weeks ago through warranty ,( Car has 50k on it)seems a little better. I can say our dealer is the best we have dealt with compared to other vehicle dealers in Mackay,
Cheers Ian
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16661
alian
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lethal_Leroy on Sat May 24, 2014 8:41 pm

micv wrote:Yea I had complained a lot and had them go through all the trouble of changing synchro etc but it still doefeel Now it doesnt bother me at aok because I have changed my tecnique. I find that when shifting between gears if you pause momentarily while passing through neutral it doesnt stick when you continue.

I find that if I, for want of a better explanation, bounce the gearstick lightly into place, it usually goes in quickly, but for the most part I don't need to do this after 5 minutes of driving.
Lethal_Leroy

Postby azza3400 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:35 am

Lethal_Leroy wrote:Ok, update after 500km after service. Gearbox is settling in nicely. Still have occasional downshift hesitation, it's not a failure to shift, more so a slight stiffness that a quick jiggle overcomes, slightly annoying but habitual technique now doesn't see me noticing it. Hopefully this will resolve itself further.

I have the same sort of stiff gear changes when cold. but mine is changing down to 2nd and 1st. at the 1500km service the dealer change gear oil. still present but not as bad. hoping it loosens up aswell.
azza3400

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls