Rattling horn/airbag faceplate - how to tighten?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Rattling horn/airbag faceplate - how to tighten?

Postby macca002 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Anyone know how to tighten this bloody thing down tight again? I have read and re-read the steering column fix thread (among a couple of others) and still cant get the bloody thing to stop rattling. Pulled the whole front down and put back together as tight as I probably could without breaking stuff, and within a few minutes of driving, the rattle is back.

Bit of background info:
macca002 wrote:So after a weekend of wheeling, the steering rattle is back. Not the grinding clunk, but the rattle I had before this.

Did some investigating and the noise is coming from the horn/airbag face plate. Wedged a bit of beer carton in between the face plate and steering wheel and instantly went away.

Now that I know what the problem is, need to figure out if I can somehow tighten or shim tight again...

Who would have thought something so simple could create a niggling noise. Literally by chance that I figured it out.

Mitsubishi replaced my steering column recently due to collapsed bearing and a few other issues, and the rattle disappeared until I hit my first corrugations 2 or 3 days later. As a result, I am again dealing with a constant noise when steering at low speeds, or on corrugated roads. Mitsubishi don't seem interested in fixing it, as they do not cover rattles under warranty (apparently).

Here is a link to the video of the rattle:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud9ien7invcwz ... 141842.mp4

Anyone solved this problem before?
macca002

Re: Rattling horn/airbag faceplate - how to tighten?

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 15, 2014 7:52 am

The old rattling horn bag...mmmm :twisted:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 15, 2014 7:56 am

Have you checked the screws holding on the horn pad/button?

Mine initially had a maddening squeak with vibration after the column was changed, just suddenly stopped doing it after a couple of weeks.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Thu May 15, 2014 8:15 am

RHKTriton wrote:Have you checked the screws holding on the horn pad/button?

Mine initially had a maddening squeak with vibration after the column was changed, just suddenly stopped doing it after a couple of weeks.

Yes they seem to be as tight as I can get them - unless I am tightening the wrong spot?

The faceplate is clearly loose as all buggery. Another mate who picked up a Triton recently has also mentioned that he has the same problem after the first time he took it out of town.
macca002

Postby AnOldFart on Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 am

macca002 wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:Have you checked the screws holding on the horn pad/button?Mine initially had a maddening squeak with vibration after the column was changed, just suddenly stopped doing it after a couple of weeks.
Yes they seem to be as tight as I can get them - unless I am tightening the wrong spot?The faceplate is clearly loose as all buggery. Another mate who picked up a Triton recently has also mentioned that he has the same problem after the first time he took it out of town.

Maybe cut a little, suitable sized bit of soft foam type sponge rubber, and stuff it in under the faceplate, to keep a little bit of pressure on it and provide a bit of shock absorbtion behind it, when driving the vehicle over rough roads....???
Just another way to skin a cat... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 15, 2014 6:11 pm

What's the resistance like to pushing the horn button?

Not sure of the actual setup, but maybe some springs have been installed incorrectly or not at all.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Fri May 16, 2014 6:18 am

Horn resistance feels fine RHK.
Old Fart - I was thinking about doing this, but seems like a round-about way of fixing something that, IMO shouldn't be happening in the first place, especially if its also happening to my mates new(er) Triton.

Going to pull it down again this weekend and see where I end up. At the moment I just have an old shopping docket wedged down one side :evil:
macca002

My horn rattles when I turn. How can I tighten?

Postby MN2014GLX on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 pm

When I turn my wheel, the horn kind of just rattles around. Kind of like the middle bit of the steering wheel is loose. I think it's the bit where the air bag comes out of, where the Mitsubishi logo is.

Is there an easy way to tighten this? Mitsubishi said they will take a look but cannot promise anything. Oh, and that won't be for another two weeks.

Is this common? The noise is terribly distracting that I now try and turn with 1 hand on the side of the horn cover to try and stop the noise.

It works sometimes, but most of the time I really need both hands on the wheel for safety.

Help! I am going bonkers.
MN2014GLX

Re: My horn rattles when I turn. How can I tighten?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Can you wedge a bit of cardboard or something in the side of it?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MN2014GLX on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Can you wedge a bit of cardboard or something in the side of it?

I guess so, but I would rather just tighten in. Cardboard might flick out when I am turning or trying to use the horn.
MN2014GLX

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Yeah I'm not talking permanently but just to get you through your two weeks. And how often do you use your horn? I'd be lucky if I've touched mine 5 times in 5 years.

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN2014GLX on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm

There are lots of terrible drivers in Cairns.
MN2014GLX

Postby Greedy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 pm

MN2014GLX wrote:There are lots of terrible drivers in Cairns.

I agree. If there was more of them, It would be similar to Adelaide. :roll:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Have a look in this thread - which also has no answers but at least you'll have a kindred spirit with the same issue. http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16394

I'll merge these two threads together shortly.

Cowboy Dave

Postby MN2014GLX on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks Dave. Boy was it hard to find this thread again this morning, but understand why you put the two together.

Do you know where I can find one of them awesome manual photos or diagrams on how to pull it all apart? I might be able to find the spot and give it a few turns to tighten again. The manual would be great as it means I won't be going in blind.
MN2014GLX

Postby macca002 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have a look in this thread - which also has no answers but at least you'll have a kindred spirit with the same issue. http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16394

I'll merge these two threads together shortly.

Another PM from MN2014GLX tracking me down haha

Here is the fix...luckily I kept these photos on my phone.

Disconnect battery (or run the risk on airbag to the face/crotch)

Turn steering wheel so it is 90 degrees. It makes it easier to align the face plate holes back up again at the end.

Located these 2. One on each side. Get at it from 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position:
Click to view larger picture

Gently pull the face off. Avoiding any tension to the airbag and clock spring wires:

It should sit like this if you place the horn face on the inside lip. Means you can now use 2 hands to do all the fiddly stuff:

What rattles is the plastic clips under these bolts. They rattle in their slot:

Remove the bolt. 10mm.

Here is a better photo of the plastic. It rubs/rattles on the steel bracket it sits in:

Dry lube as much of it as you can, trying to get between the plastic and the metal. I used a business card to stuff it all in there:

Dry lube the outside of the bolt whilst you are at it for good measure:

Do the same for the other 2 bolts. Do one at a time so none of the horn springs shift and possibly fall out.

Clean up excess dry lube and tension the bolts down. Doing a few mm each side to ensure the horn is tensioned equally on all sides.

Make sure the horn contact points are not touching the plate. If it is, back the bolts off a little otherwise you will probably end up with a horn constantly on. (reason why you need to tension the bolts down a little at a time, instead of going to town on 1 side, then the other).

Put it all back together again, and jobs done. Enjoy a rattle free steering wheel ;)

NB: It took Mitsubishi 3 failed attempts to fix this issue, and they couldn't get it sorted. I had paper stuffed in the steering wheel for a while, and eventually found the time to sit down and figure it all out.

Now that I know what the problem is, it is something you can do in about 20minutes. Quicker if you are a bit neater in the first place.

Maybe one of the mods can do something with this, as I am not on here so not the best question answering person.
macca002

Postby MN2014GLX on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:16 pm

WOW thanks Macca, and sorry about another PM to you this week.

Looks like I have something to do this afternoon. Thanks again, and no doubt these pictures will make everything a heap easier to understand. Such a simple thing can create so much annoyance! I never would have picked it.

Does anyone know what size screw bit I need for the torx screws? I have some at home but none that big.

Also, Macca you should really jump back on here again. Newbies like me need this kind of knowledge. I spent ages doing searches last night, and couldn't even find a photo of how to pull the cover off, let alone this kind of detail.

Thanks again, and looks like I will be rattle free in no time!
MN2014GLX

Postby MN2014GLX on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Horn rattle is gone. I am so relieved that I no longer have to deal with this.

I did find another rattle though. Looks like I have a broken bash plate mount.

Win some, loose some. Now to find how to fix this problem. Unfortunately it is probably something a little more tricky, as I don't know how to weld.
MN2014GLX

Postby kdan3 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:53 pm

Are the pictures posted above by macca visible for anyone? I've had the exact same rattle since new in my MN and want to attempt to fix it myself.
kdan3

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:33 pm

kdan3 wrote:Are the pictures posted above by macca visible for anyone? I've had the exact same rattle since new in my MN and want to attempt to fix it myself.

Unfortunately not, macca left the forum some time back and cleaned most of his posts / photo links out, shame as it was good info.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls