Rear shocks

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Rear shocks

Postby eskygt on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi , had my 15k service at my mechanic and he advised me of the rear shocks leaking. He said they were stuffed (oil leaking down the body). I went to my mitsubishi dealer where he looked under the car and said there fine. He printed out some paper work which showed that the shocks will not be replaced unless they are saturated more than 1/3rd down the body from the seal. I asked if I could keep the paper work and he said no it's the property of mitsubishi. I have never had shocks that leak on a car and were considered sound. Any comments suggestions people ? Cheers
eskygt

Re: Rear shocks

Postby myself62 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 pm

The factory shocks are crap anyway, I would ditch them and get after market shocks.
Are you planning on getting a sus lift anytime soon?
Bruno.
myself62

Postby Duck on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Call Mitsu direct...... If a shock is leaking then it is leaking. After 15,000k's sounds like they are shot.
Ask about this special bit of paperwork that you are allowed to see but not have a copy of. And that you have been requested by your lawyer to advise Mitsu of the duty of care to not rectify a faulty component just so that if something goes amiss the court hearing will be fast.

Oh and welcome to the site :?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Snooozy on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I would think that if it was leaking then it would not pass a roadworthy, therefore must be replaced.

If it were me I would throw the OEM crap away & fit something decent.

It is however the fact they tell you BS that they makes you want to push them further :twisted:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mark3413 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Hey Eskygt

Where abouts are you? I'm in perth and have a spare set of OE shocks you can have, if you have no joy with the stealer! But like the other guys have said, you have been given the run around. They should be replacing it! But I would also recommend upgrading from the stock shocks, as they really are crap!
Mark3413
Platinum Subscriber

Postby evlids on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:50 am

Unfortunately what the Mitsi dealer said sounds pretty well dead on. Manufacturers like to call it "Assembly grease" weeping from the shock.

The Manufacturer I work for require that the shock leaks more than 160mm down the shock before they can be replaced under warranty. (the shock is about 300mm long).

Techically not a roadworthy issue as the shock still works as designed unless it lets go all of it's fluid. On new cars a bit of weapage from the shocks isn't unusual but if you want them to replace it just spray some silicone spray over the shock and it will look like it's leaked over the required amount. (it's what we do here for some customers).

Good luck
evlids

Postby eskygt on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks for the response guys My recent research states that 'misting' is acceptable to an extent put leakage 'runs' is not. The old rock the car test should show this. So I will most probably have to wait till the shocks show more signs of leaking before they are replaced. Thanks
eskygt

Postby Duck on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 am

evlids wrote:Unfortunately what the Mitsi dealer said sounds pretty well dead on. Manufacturers like to call it "Assembly grease" weeping from the shock.

The Manufacturer I work for require that the shock leaks more than 160mm down the shock before they can be replaced under warranty. (the shock is about 300mm long).

Techically not a roadworthy issue as the shock still works as designed unless it lets go all of it's fluid. On new cars a bit of weapage from the shocks isn't unusual but if you want them to replace it just spray some silicone spray over the shock and it will look like it's leaked over the required amount. (it's what we do here for some customers).

Good luck

So do you have some leftover stock for me to use :D
Can you get a nice new kit out & spray it all with silicone spray ? I'll be waiting out the back code name 'cheapsuss'
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby evlids on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 am

Haha Duck I don't think Jazz shocks will handle to well on the back of your triton.
evlids

Postby hvac guy on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 pm

The jazz shocks would be an upgrade
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Warranty/Recalls