Warranty refusal on broken headlight clip

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Warranty refusal on broken headlight clip

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 am

Hi all - hoping for a little advice before I take the car in this Friday to Suttons Arncliffe.

I am taking it in to get the overheating engine recall work done and for an oil and filter change ($280 :?: ).

Anyhooo.... in passing I mentioned that the small retaining clip that holds the springy thing that in turn holds the headlamp in broke off the other week when I changed the light (under normal pressure I must add). I needed to change it because obviously my headlamp broke.

So the service girl tells me Mark Celia / Selia? from Mitsubishi warranty says that because I did it, it is not covered under warranty as it is not a manufacturing defect and I would need a new headlamp cost around $800 or so :shock:

Before I go kicking and screaming and having a hissy fit, can I get some feedback from anyone who has had a similar warranty job knocked back and more importantly - what is the process or what route can I take if I get the (expected) knockback?

I propose that;

1. The headlamp had to be changed immediately so therefore I could not wait for Mitsubishi to do it, otherwise my car is not roadworthy
2. It broke off under normal hand pressure and was not being forced
3. Therefore it should be covered under warranty

Cheers
Rob
Robmurray

Re: Warranty refusal on broken headlight clip

Postby Naff on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:43 am

Can you take a picture of the broken piece you are talking about specifically?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 am

Naff wrote:Can you take a picture of the broken piece you are talking about specifically?

Stand by - running to my car now
Robmurray

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 am

Robmurray

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:03 am

Robmurray

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 am

So is it like a tab that the spring clip sits under?

By the way $280 for an oil change seems a bit rich, can't you do it yourself?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby uhuforrest on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

My clip broke exactly the same. The spring clip still works if you attach it to the Phillips screw, just takes a little more mucking around. Definitely poor design / manufacture as mine broke as I was opening the clip
uhuforrest
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Robmurray wrote:http://imgur.com/T8h69JE

So just my 2 cents -lateral thought- idea.
Could you not possibly "fashion" a small suitably sized and shaped piece of metal, suggest "2mm thick rectangular and aluminium" with a hole drilled through it which you could then secure under the head of the screw shown in your photo so that it protrudes downwards and into the 'space' where the original plastic tab piece was, that broke off, and then use that, instead, to secure the globe retaining spring clip in place.... :?:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Ok, so this is what it should look like:

Click to view larger picture

It is repairable, by making a small right angled bracket that can be held in place by the screw. Fiddly, but possible.

Alternately, replace the light, which at $600 is a bit rich, given that genuine lights are available for half of that and aftermarket at half of that again. Or, replace with a set of TMR Ralliart style lights which are available for about that kind of money.

I've PM'd on a third option.

You'd have a snowball's chance in hell of convincing them to replace under warranty.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:So is it like a tab that the spring clip sits under?

By the way $280 for an oil change seems a bit rich, can't you do it yourself?

Yep, its a little tab

Im going to ring up and cancel the oil change. I thought I would do the right thing and do it with Mitsubishi but seriously... wholesale would be about $20 for oil and $7 for the filter
Robmurray

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Ok, so this is what it should look like:

Click to view larger picture

You'd have a snowball's chance in hell of convincing them to replace under warranty.

Can I ask why I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it under warranty?

I would have thought it was pretty straightforward. It broke under normal use, during its intended operation? For instance if I pressed the accelerator and the pedal broke, that would be covered. Normal use, intended operation?

Dunno, but mind you this is the first time I have tried to get something fixed under warranty
Robmurray

Postby Robmurray on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:54 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
Robmurray wrote:http://imgur.com/T8h69JE

So just my 2 cents -lateral thought- idea.
Could you not possibly "fashion" a small suitably sized and shaped piece of metal, suggest "2mm thick rectangular and aluminium" with a hole drilled through it which you could then secure under the head of the screw shown in your photo so that it protrudes downwards and into the 'space' where the original plastic tab piece was, that broke off, and then use that, instead, to secure the globe retaining spring clip in place.... :?:

I think thats a great idea. I just want Mitsubishi to pay for it first as I believe it should clearly be a warranty job.
Robmurray

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Robmurray wrote:Can I ask why I have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it under warranty?

I probably should have added an "IMHO" to that statement. I've probably seen more headlights than most and while I've seen a few broken ones, actually breaking one would take some effort, I'd think. It may be that it was faulty to start with, in which case some kind of pre-existing cracking may be evident, but on a part that small you'd need a microscope to see it. I'm not suggesting that you did the wrong thing but they will, I'd reckon. I wish you luck and if you're successful then I'll be the first to give you kudos.

Yes, AOF is on the right track for a repair. 2mm might be a bit thick for that little screw but he has the right idea.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:34 pm

The same happened to my old mn, I ended up gluing it back together, only problem was that I used too much glue and it ran down inside the lens, looked remarkably like someone 'got too excited' on my headlight :lol:
I did use a bit of force to break it while trying to remove the wiring harness to change the globe, now I pull back the rubber boot, release the clip and remove the globe with the wiring still attached
GLRkenny

Postby suhua4 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:46 pm

I changed factory bulb to brighter ones on all my previous cars. This kind of spring and the clip housing do look weak and give you a head scratching every time you change the bulb. I broke one on my Subaru few years ago and I just bought some steel wires from Bunnings and wrap around the housing to fix the bulb (where ever and what ever that stop the bulb moving around, yes next time you want to change the bulb you need to redo it again ). Otherwise buy a set of headlight from eBay cost you a third of that OEM money.
suhua4

Postby Robmurray on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:49 am

So it seems like the common opinion is that everyone thinks MMA will deny this as a warranty claim?

I am going to press my luck and see what happens
Robmurray

Postby Duck on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes unfortunate but I would think they would suggest user error. You never know your luck in a big city, but I would definitely tread lightly, you catch more flies with honey. Good luck with it.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Return to Warranty/Recalls