Air Bag Recall

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Air Bag Recall

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm

My non takata device

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm

The actual Takata airbags make a loud noise.

Warnings:

* Caution, foul language...
* Don't try this at home, it's dangerous.
* Filmed under controlled conditions, no animals were harmed.
* Polarity matters, this was discovered the hard way and caused additional surprise when it finally did fire.
* Although no shrapnel was observed in this carefully designed scientific experiment that does not mean that some other takata airbag might not hurt you if you do something stupid like this.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Here's a slower version of the same video above. It was only shot on a phone so not the best quality, but the slow version shows some stuff you just don't see in real time.

The airbag device was secured to a small piece of timber to keep it facing upright - that is the small flat item you can see at the base of the balloon shape as it jumps into the air.

Cowboy Dave

Airbag recall, it affects most of us.

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:07 am

When are MMAL going to get fair dinkum about the airbag recall?

There has now been a death here as a result of the Takata airbags, Honda in this case.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/0 ... ney-driver

Here is the list of affected VINs;

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/system ... 4%20MY.pdf

I have previously asked MMAL, but got no response. All the dealers I have asked about the indicator stalk recall want to put me on a 2 month waiting list to get it done, except if I want a service as well, then they can "squeeze it in" ASAP :roll: , so I'm not holding my breath for the airbag.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Airbag recall, it affects most of us.

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:25 am

I had my letter regarding the airbag recall and something to do with the headlight stalk? (is that right?) everything was done at the dealer as far as I know but I'm still getting letters so I think the dealer either hasn't done f-all or there's just a lack of communication going on
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Re: Airbag recall, it affects most of us.

Postby 2ENIL8 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 am

I never got a letter about the airbag but having a look at the affected vehicles I am 1 of them. My triton is a 2010 model but it is a MY11 I wonder if that is why I haven't got a letter as they can't work that out. Also they do have my details as I received a letter about the indicator stalk.
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:50 am

I've finally touched base with a dealer re the snot insertion & airbag for both our tritons. Just give them the Rego numbers and all the info is available, even that the mn had the heat campaign done, so it shouldn't be hard.

A dealer will know what hand you wipe with if you give them the VIN - that links everything.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Air Bag Recall

Postby borngeek on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 am

You should receive the letters, MMAL have even done a registered letter recently to ensure delivery.

I don't have a MN but recall someone saying the steering wheel with buttons is not the affected brand and took out to look. Maybe they can pipe up on that. I can't recall who said it

Your drivers license address, if car in your name, is where they sending the letters. I changed that on my ML (has both indicator and airbag) and it followed it to the new address, I didn't call Mitsubishi nor go into a dealership.

That is a very sad outcome and the person currently driving my car is now being pushed to have it done urgently...

//indicator is meh, a piece of metal in the melon not so much...

Edit: merge reminds me, CD pulled his from a 09 MN glx-r not same brand
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am

borngeek wrote:I don't have a MN but recall someone saying the steering wheel with buttons is not the affected brand and took out to look. Maybe they can pipe up on that. I can't recall who said it

That may have been me.....

NowForThe5th wrote:I'm not sure how relevant this is for Tritons but I put my Pajero in for the timing chain tensioner replacement and indicator stalk lube, last week.

Interesting conversation with the Service Clerk when I dropped it in:

SC: "Oh, I see that you're listed for the airbag problem, too."
Me: "Yes, I have the letter for that one, as well."
SC: "Does your steering wheel have buttons?"
Me: "Buttons?"
SC: "Yes, buttons for the radio and phone."
Me: "Yes"
SC: "In that case it (the recall) doesn't apply. It's only for models that have no buttons around the wheel."
Me: "Really? Wouldn't Mitsubishi know which vehicles have the problem airbags?"
SC: "They're doing it by VIN number (sic) so everyone is getting the letter. When you get the second letter just bring it in and we'll have a look. If it has no buttons then it won't apply and we'll mark you off the list."
Me: "Can you do that today?"
SC: "No, you have to have the second letter."
Me: "But surely you can record that mine has buttons so I don't have to make an appointment and come back in for something that will only need a visual check?"
SC: "No, we can't do that. You have to have the letter."
Me: :roll:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Lives just getting too complicated 5th.

We keep getting this pup sold to us how technology and the advances in IT is going to make life easier but the reality is the complication and frustration seems to go up by the square of each incremental 'advance'. :lol:

Amazing how mankind survived when a milky delivered to the door each day and you'd go into a bank with your little passbook and process just worked, no stress and no one was going broke.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:06 pm

borngeek wrote:I don't have a MN but recall someone saying the steering wheel with buttons is not the affected brand and took out to look. Maybe they can pipe up on that. I can't recall who said it

Handy to know. I thought that they all had the cruise control buttons? Unless this refers to the radio buttons. Either way, I hope the letter arrives soon.....
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:46 pm

I should have asked the wife when she drove the wheelbarrow back from the dealers if they fixed the recalls or not. I asked her today and she said she had no idea. What a couple of idiots we are. I only asked her to drive it in for me because I didn't want to drive it without Tonys mod in. I'll have to call them on Monday to find out for sure so I can ignore the recall letters that I still receive
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby croydon on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Went into the local Mitsi dealer today as my 2011 MN fell within the range of VIN numbers affected by the recall, however no letter had been received from MMAL. I was advised that as my Triton has a a '3' spoke steering wheel with the audio controls etc on the steering wheel, it is not part of this recall. Hopefully they are right!!

Dave
croydon

Postby jrs184 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:04 pm

so now there is news that they are putting faulty Takata air bags back in when they replace them, has anyone checked what they have in their Tritons...
jrs184

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 am

My Triton went in last year for the overheat and indicator recall but I have not been sent anything about the airbag recall. They obviously know where I am so why is it taking so long just to let me know. I am now talking to them via FB Messenger and will see what happens. I don't want to risk my life driving a possible artery slasher and am thinking of insisting they do it pronto or give me a loan vehicle till it is done. Wonder how that will go down, especially now there is a class action lawsuit against three other manufacturers? It is an OH&S thing and if this were on a construction site they'd close it down due to the risk. Why can car manufacturers allow this to go on for years without even letting the owners know the possible risk if you have an accident?
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby trevtriton on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 am

Interesting to see on Product Safety Australia website, PRA No.2016/15523, which is their recall number for the Triton airbag issue, is dated 12 July 2016, OVER A YEAR AGO, and still not a peep out of Mitsubishi. I have had the indicator stalk recall done since that time and not a word from the dealer about the airbag either. And my vehicle is a GL-R so no fancy audio controls on the "3 spoke" steering wheel. I've checked the VIN and definitely in the range.
Reckon a phone call to Mitsubishi Monday is on the cards, I want to know why they haven't had the common decency to advise me I'm driving a vehicle fitted with a feature designed to save my life, that feature may actually kill me instead :? :? :o
trevtriton

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm

This reminds me of the 'prisoners getting their weekly change of underwear joke'....today you're due for you're change of underwear inmates....Wing A will be changing with Wing B!

The worry is that a safety item like this can even be fitted with defects. What are we in for when they take that bit of rod out between the wheel & steering rack?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 am

I got a message from Mitsubishi and it appears my car was not on the recall. The steering wheel has the audio controls and because of this the airbag is a different type, so all is good. Hope this helps allay the fears of others who are worried about their "death trap".
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby f12003_ga on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:50 am

Has anyone heard new information about air bags lately?

Was on the news again last night and I have a link about 20,000 should stop driving right now!

ML-MN TRITON

Here is a link: https://www.news.com.au/technology/cons ... 6d14e1fdfe
Glx-R MN my15
f12003_ga

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:31 pm

From what I recall, the airbag I had installed for the recall was only a stop gap measure and will eventually need a further replacement sometime in the future.

If these things are so dangerous, a class action for some financial compensation would have been more appropriate In this case than say the VW diesel saga with respect to the Aussie market.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby f12003_ga on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am

Ok just cheeked my Triton GLX-R MY15 and my wife's outlander and we are not in the recall. Didn't someone here say if you have buttons on your steering wheel is not recalled?
Glx-R MN my15
f12003_ga

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm

That was me and I was wrong. Dealer Service led me up the wrong path... again.

Anyway, applied to Pajero, not Triton or Pretender.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:50 am

Think it was on Mr 4x4s site.

There is suggestion that Mitsubishi might be buying back the Pajero mode around 2000?, as replacement airbags aren't available.

Lots of pissed off owners coming up.

I can't understand that several manufacturers are choosing a buy back over simply providing a new steering wheel, which in a lot of cases they probably have something suitable elsewhere in their range.

Only conclusion I come to is that some marketing guy in the various outfits has had the bright idea that this is a means of pushing owners to upgrade to their ever increasing pile of stock.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls