Paint peeling on flares - Warranty refusal

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Scoey on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

Hi all,

I'm just trying to get a feel for how common this particular issue is and thought this is probably the best place to ask.

I have a 2010 PB Challenger TD Auto 4X4. Dark blue metallic paint if it matters.

The clear coat has de-laminated and peeled off the top edge of all four wheel arch flares. The peeling is quite extensive.

I took the car in to Mitsubishi to have them take a look at it, expecting for it to be covered under the warranty. They refused my warranty claim but approved a "Goodwill request for repairs" claim as outlined below:
- Front flares: approved for 66% cost of parts. Owner to pay other 34% + labour. $285.57
- Rear flares: approved for 66% cost of parts. Owner to pay other 34% + labour. $217.03

The lady at the dealership said that the warranty claim was refused as it was considered to be normal wear and tear.

I'm obviously not stoked with this so I am going to talk to Mitsubishi Australia about it but before I do, I'd be really interested to know if this is a common problem? The dealer seemed to think it was but I'm sure if I was in the yard looking at a new car he wouldn't be telling me that paint peeling after only a few years is normal!

I did a search and didn't find much. Peeling canopies on Tritons and peeling tailgate handles was about it.

Also, am I being a bit precious? Should I just cop what they have said or am I right to expect a bit more?

Anyway, I'd be keen to hear your feedback
Cheers
Ross
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Re: Paint peeling on flares - Warranty refusal

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 pm

No, you're not being precious. There is more discussion about the Triton problems because they've been around longer.

I've covered the reasons for it happening more than a few times. Have a look at some of my posts here.

Assuming that there is no other damage that you can be held accountable for, I'd be sitting with the dealer and gently explaining that they should cover the whole cost of repair.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:43 pm

if they don't come to the party take the 66% parts offer and do it yourself.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scoey on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks NowForThe5th, there's some good info in there. There's no damage to the paint at all. It's quite obviously the clear coat failing which is why it's so staggering that they didn't just sort it out, but anyway.....
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:55 pm

I'd be interested to know how you're supposed to get enough wear and tear on a non-moving part that you don't really touch or rub in ordinary use for the clear coat to come off. I mean if it was the paint around the door handles or something maybe, or stone chips on the front I'd get that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Scoey on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:35 pm

snowman wrote:if they don't come to the party take the 66% parts offer and do it yourself.

I tried that snowman. They told me in no uncertain terms that it was an all or nothing deal. Discounted parts and labour or nothing.
It's one of the reasons I really feel like making a bigger deal out of it.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Scoey on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:38 pm

My thoughts exactly cowboy Dave. The fact that it's only on the flares and not on the bonnet or roof or any other parts tells me that it is an issue with how they paint the plastic parts and nothing to do with anything I've done to the vehicle.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby SLIMaxPower on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:54 pm

If they are prepared to go 66% they will go all the way.

Keep pushing.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 pm

It almost sounds like they've come up with some sort of bullshit pro-rata idea, where you're only entitled to get a car back that looks a couple of years old, and they'll give it back looking like new, so they expect a contribution to put that right. Which to my mind is bullshit but that's sort of what it sounds like reading it again.

Cowboy Dave

Postby variflex on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Personally I believe 66% is a great result for a five year old vehicle,
When I judge our warranty claims I do not pay any claims on paint if the unit is over two months of age/ delivery to customer (some situations differ and I do pay) bear in mind that I work with industrial machinery (excavators) not automotive.
variflex

Postby dougie123 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Mate have a good read of the ACCC web site and go back to talk to the service manager. I'm too busy watching cricket and drinking to go into it but cars are built to last longer than 5 years so if any part fails the manufacturer is expected to fix it. If they still don't help make a complaint, I have in the past and it was resolved fairly quick.

Go Smithy!!!
dougie123

Postby donks1 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Paint claim on a 5 year old car?? take the 66% and be thankfull. I'd have knocked it back outright.

Steve
donks1

Postby Duck on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 pm

I had all 4 wheel arches done under warranty, they are peeling again now as is the hard cover and the trim between the tub & cab. They didn't really baulk at approving it. It was about 4.5 years old. If its under warranty then it's within warranty claim. Good luck but be gentle when chatting with them, if the dealer won't budge get the onto Mitsy.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby destorman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Scoey wrote: ... The lady at the dealership said that the warranty claim was refused as it was considered to be normal wear and tear. ...

Refused by who?

The dealer, or Mitsubishi Australia?

I'd start there, as that's the first hint, IMHO of the fob off. But, I am skeptical by nature ;)

dougie123 wrote:Mate have a good read of the ACCC web site ... cars are built to last longer than 5 years so if any part fails the manufacturer is expected to fix it. If they still don't help make a complaint, I have in the past and it was resolved fairly quick.

Exactly. The new 'consumer code' is your friend. It is not a simple matter of what "warranty" the product manufacturer decides to give or advertise, it is now a common law coverage based upon the type of item, cost and fair use.

Scoey wrote: ...The clear coat has de-laminated and peeled off the top edge of all four wheel arch flares. The peeling is quite extensive ... I'm obviously not stoked with this ...

Ross, can you throw up some pictures?

And, yep, It would be pretty annoying. Not just the paint peeling, but now also the stuff around, fob off, attempted rip off and now the hassle factor of holding them accountable. Then there it will be the inconvenience of having it repaired and off the road, plus possible hassles of the repair work being completed properly.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Lee-thal on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:13 pm

is the car still in warranty?? or is it out of warranty??

Goodwill CLaim says to me its out of warranty......
Lee-thal

Postby Scoey on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 pm

destorman wrote:
Scoey wrote: Refused by who?

The dealer, or Mitsubishi Australia?

I'd start there, as that's the first hint, IMHO of the fob off. But, I am skeptical by nature ;)

As I understand it, it was refused by Mitsubishi Australia (MMAL) but I am having a hell of a time getting anyone there to talk to me.
I took the vehicle into the dealer and they told me they take photos of all paint claims and then send them to MMAL for assessment. The refusal came from them. That's how I understand it anyway.

I rang MMAL to speak with someone on the dealers advice but was told they wouldn't speak with me. If I had an issue about a warranty claim I would need to correspond in writing. They gave me an email address so I sent an email. It took them a week to even acknowledge the email and now just over two weeks, still no reply.

I'll try and get some photos tomorrow and post them up.
Last edited by Scoey on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Scoey on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Lee-thal wrote:is the car still in warranty?? or is it out of warranty??

Goodwill CLaim says to me its out of warranty......

Yeah I thought that was weird also. I quizzed the dealer on this wording and they advised me that the vehicle is out of warranty.

I disagreed as when I took it in to them there was still two weeks left on the warranty according to the warranty book that was filled out at the point of sale. The lady at the dealer said that the date in the book was wrong and that the warranty had expired two days before I took it in to them and that the books are often wrong.

I was pretty annoyed with this for a couple of reasons.
- The date in the book aligned with the first registered date.
- When I phoned the week before it was still in warranty. I expressly stated that the reason for the booking was to get a couple of things fixed before the warranty expired and they said nothing about the fact that the date they were offering was outside the warranty date that they had on their system.

So I have no idea where that leaves me. I think on principle that I'm well within my rights to ask for this to be treated as a warranty claim however they really have all of the power here. At least it feels that way anyway. Feels like they're just toying with me.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby viking shippy on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Time to talk to the ACCC
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:55 pm

The fault obviously arose before the warranty expired so that would be a pretty piss poor approach for them to take.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Scoey on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 am

I will go to the ACCC as a last resort I think. I'll give them every opportunity to sort it out first but given their lack of interest to date, I'm not overly hopeful.
I really didn't think this would be a big deal but they are starting to make it one. If someone had spoken to me when I first phoned I'm pretty sure it could've been resolved pretty quickly and I possibly could've been sold on their offer at the time but given their attitude to it all its pissing me off a bit and now I'm less inclined to just accept what they are telling me and making a bigger deal of it all.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Scoey on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 am

Yeah I agree Cowboy Dave.

I don't know if I have shot myself in the foot to any degree there but I didn't take it to them when I first noticed it which may be an issue. I have no idea.

Mainly because it's something that started out very small. A couple of little blisters on one flare. I thought, crap, I better get that looked at but it was so small it didn't get high priority. A couple of months later I noticed it on another flare and started to wonder if it would happen on all four so I waited. It eventually did and by this stage the first one had worsened and a fair bit of time had elapsed.
Oh well. See what happens. They aren't even talking to me at the moment so I guess I need to get that happening first.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Scoey on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:27 am

donks1 wrote:Paint claim on a 5 year old car?? take the 66% and be thankfull. I'd have knocked it back outright.

Steve

I don't fully disagree with this Steve as you're right, it is a five year old vehicle.
But it is warranted for 5 years, including paint. I can accept that the paint will dull a bit and won't look brand new after 5 years and that is wear and tear. No problems.
The issue is that the paint is defective. That is what the warranty is supposed to address IMO. I can accept that others will have a different view.
If MMAL don't reasonably expect their paint to last 5 years then they shouldn't cover it.
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Scoey on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 am

I phoned Mitusbishi this morning to chase up a reply to my original email and after twice not answering they gave me a call back just now.
They have reviewed my case and agree that I submitted the claim within the warranty period and as such will cover 100% of the cost of the repairs to the flares. I'm a very happy camper! They have also just emailed me to confirm.
Apparently they advised the dealer a week ago but the dealer hasn't contacted me about it yet. I was on the phone to the dealer this morning just querying a few dates etc with regard to my claim this morning and they didn't mention it though.
So in the end, it's a great result for me but Mitsubishi could really work on their customer service! This has been a month of stress, phone calls and emails not to mention the number of times I've had to take the vehicle in to them which is a real pain in the backside for an issue that probably never should have been an issue at all.
Glad it's resolved now and I'll be stoked once the flares are fixed.

Thanks for all the help, advice and support!
Cheers,
Ross
Scoey

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 am

Good on you mate. Well worth persevering. :D

Cowboy Dave

Postby mudslinger on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Good to see mitsubishi honoring what is plain and simple a mitsubishi fault.

By doing the right thing they save themselves the hassle, you the heart ache and stress and preserve their brands reputation. Warranty is an important factor in the consumers decision making process in buying a car.

I got sold a lemon on car sales from WA, when it arrived in sydney i got 4 panel beater quotes for circa $4-$5k. Dealer refused to take it back, told me outright it happens all the time, just get it fixed under warranty, and told me he wasnt taking it back.

Of interest is it pays to check when your actual warranty starts as often cars are dealer reported months in advance of when their sold as was also thecase with this car...8 mths had already expired, and the A hole told me full 5 yrs....

A few long emails, phone calls to both Dept of commerce in WA and Mitsubishi. And within a week mitsubishi told the dealer to take it back cover the freight costs and give me a full refund.

I was impressed with MMA, they recovered the customer situation quick enough and hence i went out and still bought a glxr from local dealer.. moral is mitsubishi still got my cash and dodgy dealer lost out.

MMA fully agreed with me that their dealer network had its challenges...
mudslinger

Return to Warranty/Recalls