Radiator failure after new engine

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Hopeithurt on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Well the cooling system disaster just keeps getting better. New engine is going fine except now the radiator core is leaking like a sieve. Off to the stealer tomorrow.
Hopeithurt

Re: Radiator failure after new engine

Postby Hopeithurt on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 am

righto, the fun begins, going back thursday to get a pressure test (apparently coolant running down the core doesn't prove its a leak)
While we are there the service manager wants to discuss a few things with me.
1 whether or not its warranty
2 why half the heat shields were not refitted to the new engine( and found in the belly plates yesterday)
3 why the bottom alternator bolt fell out ( no nut put back on)
4 why all the radiator hoses are leaking
5 why 50% of the wiring harness securing plastic clippy things are broken and the harnesses are flopping around

should be interesting
Hopeithurt

Postby mattz on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:19 am

I'd be looking for a new dealer for service work, once they fix all their stuff ups. :o
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Hopeithurt on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:30 am

The way this ute is going i will be looking for a new one, and i doubt it will be a triton.
Hopeithurt

Postby Hopeithurt on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:16 am

Well today was kind of a win, they have fixed up the wiring harnesses and heat shields and double checked all the mounts and bolts.
The radiator is leaking and all the hoses need replacing, ran out of warranty end of dec 2015, also they now say the vacuum pump is u/s and needs replacing.
Radiator and hoses fitted $1050.00
Vacuum pump and fitting $893.20

They are approaching mmal for warranty so fingers crossed.
And the service manager is sure none of it is related to continual overheating/over pressurizing the radiator before the engine was replaced.
Hopeithurt

Postby Sabre on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:40 am

Hopeithurt wrote:And the service manager is sure none of it is related to continual overheating/over pressurizing the radiator before the engine was replaced.

So, in his expert opinion, "What's it related to"?
Sabre

Postby Hopeithurt on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:48 am

the fact it's out of warranty and done 79000km ?
Hopeithurt

Postby hvac guy on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:52 am

80k if sweet fa in the terms of a vacuum pump the stress from the higher pressure will be why the hoses and radiator are shot
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hopeithurt on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:51 pm

yep and the vacuum pump is probably u/s because of being cooked so often when they kept telling me nothing was wrong with it. I know it, you know it but its up to mmal now.
Hopeithurt

Postby aids84 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:13 pm

This issue was brought up in the latest National Dealer Foreman's Product Concerns. There have been a lot of cases of radiators starting to leak after the 020116 cooling system recall is carried out. MMAL is investigating this issue so I assume there is a good chance that you will get it covered out of warranty.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hopeithurt on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:20 pm

I think most of my problems have been the stealers doing not mmal's so fingers crossed.
Hopeithurt

Postby Hopeithurt on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Mitsubishi have come back with 75% of parts and 50% of labour. just weighing up my next move.
Hopeithurt

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:57 pm

100% of both and you won't sue them? How long was it between the "recall" and the failure? I've lost track I'm afraid.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Hopeithurt on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Mid august 2015 for the new short engine, the car is only just out of warranty. going to get all the dates / repairs etc sorted tomorrow, luckily I have a lawyer who would do a bit of work for free.
Hopeithurt

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 pm

173k on the ml

Still original radiator, thermostat, and hoses - no leaks.

The Tridon installed at five year coolant flush and replacement failed just over a year.

Point; If you didn't have a faulty engine from the factory and 'automotive technicians' farting around with it, you wouldn't have incurred all the following problems.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hopeithurt on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Well the dealer has kindly handed over the warranty print outs and I will call Mitsubishi tomorrow, if anyone has a contact I would be much obliged.

quick out line of the story.
05/06/2011 60440km carry out 60k service and 3rd gear syncro warranty

30/10/2014 64165km overheating thermostat replaced under warranty.

15/07/2015 73771km overheating, pumping coolant out several trips to the dealer. finally carried out cooling system campaign. reflash and changed radiator cap. told it passed the test and sent home.

30/07/2015 73795km still overheating, had to take video in over radiator still pressurized after sitting all night. Short engine and head service carried out under warranty.

01/01/2016 78000km radiator leaking and vacuum pump leaking oil, told by dealer radiator and hoses u/s, vacuum pump u/s. Mitsubishi offered to cover 75% parts and 50% labour.

My opinion is that it all caused by the initial problem of the overheating/over pressurizing of the cooling system. Mitsu are saying its a month out of warranty and that's all the goodwill we will give you.

Not a happy camper.

legal advice is to call them first and see if we can come to an agreement.
Hopeithurt

Postby aids84 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:27 pm

MMAL must be in damage control with all these engine/radiator replacements under warranty, seems the only reason they would try to pull this kind of bullcrap. Are you the original owner of the vehicle? Because they usually come to the party in cases as obvious as this.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby richolux150 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Holy Cow Dudes
We have 3 of these in our family and the newest of them all, is now overheating after the recall and is currently sitting in the Mitsubishi dealer here on the Gold Coast. They are saying we have to deal with Mitsubishi direct.
We will definitely keep everyone posted and will more than likely put legal pressure on Mitsubishi to
DO THE RIGHT THING........... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
richolux150

Postby Sabre on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm

richolux150 wrote:Holy Cow Dudes
We have 3 of these in our family and the newest of them all, is now overheating after the recall and is currently sitting in the Mitsubishi dealer here on the Gold Coast. They are saying we have to deal with Mitsubishi direct.
We will definitely keep everyone posted and will more than likely put legal pressure on Mitsubishi to
DO THE RIGHT THING........... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What suburb is the Dealer in?
Sabre

Postby Hopeithurt on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:22 am

Spent a while on the phone to mmal yesterday, just keep telling me they have reviewed it and no they won't cover 100%, won't give a reason as to why.

Under advice from lawyer i spoke to fair trading who now have all the paperwork and history so they are taking it up with mmal.

Approaching it from 3 fronts -
it's a continuation of a known fault.
the fact that it has done about 5000km and failed again and the faults should have been identified by the repairer at the time the engine was replaced.
the vehicle has not met fit for purpose or fair use terms of Australian consumer law.

If this doesn't work ( fair trade are extremely positive) I will start legal proceedings along the same lines as the jeep issue.
Hopeithurt

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:02 am

The problem is they get fixated on the terms of their "warranty" and forget about the statutory and implied warranties that they can't get out of. The fact is that they manufactured and sold a substandard vehicle and they have to remedy that at no cost to the purchaser.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:21 am

Our consumer laws were tightened up a few years ago, to overcome the confusing 'warranties' and weasel words imbedded in some warranties.

The stealers are far too quick to slap the customer on the back on the way out after they've grabbed the money, but should just as enthusiastically bat for the customer if issues arise.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:13 am

RHKTriton wrote:Our consumer laws were tightened up a few years ago, to overcome the confusing 'warranties' and weasel words imbedded in some warranties.

The stealers are far too quick to slap the customer on the back on the way out after they've grabbed the money, but should just as enthusiastically bat for the customer if issues arise.

No business wants to be giving money back, but a part of any business is fixing up your stuff ups as it retain your credibility. Loose your credibility, loose your business. It's not a good approach to try and white wash a customer these days with the advent of the Internet and story hungry media ready to make a mole hill into a mountain. Could be a costly mistake.
I purchased my vehicle knowing well of the issues but had faith in Mitzi that any problems would be corrected promptly and correctly. Don't like to be spooked with stories like this. :cry:

We have bill gates to thank for this with windows. Forget quality control. It's cheaper to let the consumer be the quality control. It appears you are the fall out from this concept.
leonbee

Postby bodia on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:16 am

Just a thought for anyone wanting to attack from a different angle. Mitsubishi have "modified" the vehicles with the fitment of a higher pressure cooling system. Anyone know if this actually requires engineering approval for each vehicle as it is a modification post registration.
bodia

Postby Hopeithurt on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:38 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:The problem is they get fixated on the terms of their "warranty" and forget about the statutory and implied warranties that they can't get out of. The fact is that they manufactured and sold a substandard vehicle and they have to remedy that at no cost to the purchaser.

that's the angle fair trading have said they are going on.
Hopeithurt

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls