air-con leak

What were your warranty claims and recall information

air-con leak

Postby mad992 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:45 pm

hey all i got a problem but its no biggie,,last weekend i packed up the family and went to the gold coast for the australia day long weekend going thru brissie i noticed the air con wasnt working very well it was a hot day so i thought oh well aparently the system has a small leak some where so we took it back to the dealer which hooked up some gauges and a gas bottle ,,he filled it back up with green glow gas and booked me in for my 1500klm free tyre kick servicea week later thats this tuesday so he can run an ultra violet light and find the leak it should show up any leaks.................... hows that for service.............ill keep u guys posted im hoping its a pinched rubber oring and not behind the dash :roll:
mad992

Re: air-con leak

Postby Eelesy on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 pm

I have always said i recon my air con is nowhere near as cold as it should be.

It seems really weak when i compare it to the missus Mazda 3 and my old mans MK

If i have it on the highest setting and place my hand in front of it in any other car it gets chilled to the point i have to move my hand, but not the triton??
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am

Next time we do a trip, you should compare...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Racer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Tritonasaurus wrote:I have always said i recon my air con is nowhere near as cold as it should be.

When I test drove the VR, it was one of the hottest days we had down here...round 40 degree mark and I was impressed with the A/C....hopefully it pans out ok as I have read this A/C problem a bit.....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby mad992 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:10 pm

ok yall..had my1500klm free tyre kicking service tday and the ultra violet light failed to show up a leak so i gotta go back on friday and the dealer hopes to find it then ,booooo,hope its not a small leak up under the dash cause to me that sounds like drama galore pulling the dash out booo,anyways getting the two front windows tinted on thursday should look schhhmiiikkkkoooooooo
mad992

Postby Adz on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:26 am

Its funny you mention the air con Mad992...I've noticed my air con not working as well as it was. Same sort of thing, hot day & all that...I can hear the compressor kick in, then stop...kick in, then stop....like a hissing noise every now & then. Is this meant to happen? I dont really know much about air cons but I've never heard in happen in any other car.

Getting the front 2 bits of glass tinted is the goods mate, trust me...makes a huge difference. ;)
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby canojeckyl on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re aircon...crap!

I've returned to three different dealers in the last 6mths to get my aircon fixed/checked. You know you have a problems when it's cooler having the windows open on a 25oC day than having the aircon on.

They kept telling me it was fine...so I contacted Mitsu Australia.

Was told -> "There is a recognised fault/leaking of the A/C system on the ML tritons. Tell you dealer that there is a problem and they will look into it further..." (isn't that what they are meant to do anyway???).

Anyway, they have found my system is leaking gasses, so filled it with the some sticky coloured stuff also (guessing it's the UV stuff you were talking about mad992). Haven't been back to get checked yet. We'll see...getting work done with Mitsu dealer tomorrow...
Once the camper is set up, anywhere in the great out doors feels like home.
canojeckyl

Postby mad992 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:10 am

ok men air-con seems all good mits mechanic said maybe i had a dicky shroader valve on suction line and by regassing it has re seated the valve :D .........time will tell
mad992

Postby Homer on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:54 am

Stock standard reply for when you can't find the leak.

A/c and refrigeration systems don't and can't leak. If they do they need repair.
Always amazes me when people get their fridge or car "topped up" every year.

If it happens again, you should make sure they find and fix it, especially during your warranty period. You can be absolutely sure they will find it when you're paying for it :roll: - also it is illegal for them to 'top up' as there are strict laws on HFC/HCFC leaking into the atmosphere - these guys know the penalties.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby canojeckyl on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 pm

They've regassed my aircon again...and so far all seems good.

Blowing nice cold air again (too bad it's now going into winter). Nice to be able to have the windows closed while off road again...was getting sick of shovelling dust out of the cab.

Will use my new 'legal' knowledge if happens again though. thanks Homer.
canojeckyl

Postby mad992 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:02 pm

yeah cano good to hear,hope its good now,,,,, mines fine so far, really cold air .i think they have fixed mine 8-)
mad992

Postby mad992 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:07 pm

6 months and still going strong cool air, so yes it was the schroader valve :x
mad992

Postby mitchcool1 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 am

Run your A/C at least once a week through the winter...
mitchcool1

Postby IML07 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:30 am

I have had mine regassed twice in over 2 years, and its tsill not as cold as should be, like when i got it brand new.......
Its a pain in the arse when you book it in as they want the car for a whole day just for an hours work?
What has anyone else come across?
IML07

Postby canojeckyl on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Canojeckyl here again...

Year or so on and still going strong. Seems that the sticky green stuff has done the job.

Lucky I didnt have to pull my new legal knowlege onto them! :p
canojeckyl

Postby fridgie on Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm

car air con is a bit different to normal air con, you need to run them periodically to keep the oil in the system up the the orings to keep the seal or else leaks can occur, at least it used to be like that, haven't dealt with it for a few years now :?

fridges and home air con don't have these seals, they have flare fittings and should never leak if done properly and tightened correctly (see torque wrench)

Good thing I have the fittings and access to the gas should the need arise ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Return to Warranty/Recalls