Loss of engine power

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Loss of engine power

Postby Magilla on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Ok guys riddle me this,
Its 43 degrees outside and I am on my way to melbourne, with four kids, three bikes, bedding and beer in the back. We have gone 70k with the AC on and cruise set at 100. Hit the first big round about on the way into Geelong and suddenly no power, engine warning light is on and we are limp home mode, fn fantastic when your trying to get through one of the busier round abouts in Geelong.
Pull over into the median strip and turn off car, wait a bit resart car and we have power but the engine light is still on, so we get to the nearest dealer asap, which is about 4:30 on a friday. Needless to say all the techies have gone home, and the friendly staff at the service bay tell me if I am over 100k from home I can call roadside asist. WTF, so a full and frank discussion follows on from that little pearl.
Eventually after me getting as grumpy as the service guy they take the car for a look.
Apparently the service fault is something vacuumie, and they reset the engine light and we are off again.
The next day it does it again , in a round about again no less, so this time I drive it back to oakleigh and consume several Jimmies.
This morning we fire it up , no engine service light on .
So tomorrow we are off to my local dealer to see what his take is on it.
Magilla

Re: Loss of engine power

Postby Eelesy on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:10 pm

mine did that about 5 months after i got it, booked it in and they said they found nothing wrong, gave it back and it never done it again?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby subi_man on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Did they give you the code from the ECU Magilla?

Mine has stopped dead twice since installing a TDC powerchip - second time loaded with boat and camping gear going uphill on a narrow road - NOW I drive with the Scanguage permanently plugged in just in case :o

Hope they sort if for you soon
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Magilla on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Yup got a code, but cant remember what it was and I gave the piece of paper to the local service guy, they said they will need to find out what the code means, so will give it a couple of days and then call them if they havent gotten back to me soon. Need it sorted soon as am off to eildon for a Mountain bike race on the 14th
Magilla

Postby subi_man on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Never any problems with a check engine light on a pushie, mate :lol: :lol:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Magilla on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:23 am

Na mate thats true, but the powerplant on mine is a bit cantankerous.
Magilla

Postby sam on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 pm

I travel with my scangauge plugged in all the time as well so I can keep an eye on things like water temp
boost pressure etc ;)
sam

Postby Magilla on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Ok kids
Throttle control sensor.
Apparently these things have a fly by wire throttle, and mine is unhappy.
There is a back up unit which seems to be running proceedings at the moment otherewise I might not be going any where (as I understand it any way).
New part ordered which may actually include new throttle pedal.
Actually, how are peoples brake pedals going mine is starting to wear down a bit on one side, worn through the decorative aluminium.
Magilla

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 am

Magilla, I used to work in that field. The TPS or TCS as they call it was only ever on petrol cars, now due to emmisions our diesels have a throttle too (to limit Nox).
It will most likely be a thin film strip resistor (on the throttle body iteself) that feeds back the throttle plate possition to the ECU. They normally have two (with opposed resistance curves) for accuracy and redundancy, and then a limp home mode when all goes tits up. They are supposed to be more fail safe than a cable (and a whole lot more usefull). The loud pedal works the same way, sends driver demand to the ECU. If possible, can you get your mits on the sensor/throttle body if they replace it, would be interesting to see what stuffed it and if there's something to be worried about with water ingress etc. etc.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Magilla on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Yeh I agree but I reckon that unit will get whisked away pretty quick.
The dealer said it was a first for a Triton but they had heard of a couple of Rangers with the same issue..
Magilla

Postby Jon on Sun May 03, 2009 8:37 am

My TD 07ML manual has done the same thing several times, but never with any warning light. Spoke to my service guy and he reckons dodgy diesel, so on his recommendation bought some nulon injector cleaner. Double dose in the next tank and so far no more problems. Used to flat spot on hills, accompanied by masses of black smoke, let the revs back to idle and drop back 2 gears and it would run fine. As soon as the load comes off it pulls fine. Since the cleaner though, it seems all ok.
Jon

Postby Dero on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:07 pm

My 2009 GLX-R DID did the same the other week.
Lost Cruise Control first then Average fuel stopped changing and finally the engine lost all power as if the turbo had stopped.
Went to dealer, and the mech came out to have a look. Turned the motor off to connect computer - guess what everything worked.
Happened again next day. This time I told them not to turn the car off.
Problem was the Throttle body which includes the feedback resistors.
New body fitted that day - no more problems.
Dero

Postby borngeek on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 am

frig i love this forum! Tinking i was looking at winding back the boost and taking out my fav mod (the EGR plate) but no found the issue right here!! :D

had this happen on its first real trip out! (just broke 7K on the clock)

fine going up north in 30degree heat and 2 tonne trailer attached...
coming home with nuffin on board and pissing rain - first cruise went, then intermittent turbo lame mode. Stopped car turn on again, no change, then 50Km down the road engine light on...
Stop for 15mins.
Cruise back, turbo fine... still engine light...

600Km later cruise off again, turbo intermittent... engine light still on till i parked it :mrgreen: ...

calling Mits now for new throttle body!

mind you it enabled awesome fuel economy... 7.5L/100 :shock: (thats as good as the Mrs Echo!)

EDIT:
follow up:
Service Mgr @ Sydney City Mitsu deny its the throttle body and they have NEVER had to replace one..
Booked Thu morning to have a look for me.

He DID mention they are expecting an ECU upgrade this or next week that apparently fixes the prob as a service dept employee has one doing the same thing...

He also mentioned some vacumm thing that usually causes it. But that was for older variants?? (I am a MY09)

will keep all posted!
Last edited by borngeek on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:48 am

update:
left it at the stealer yesterday...

this is what they told me: (a summary anyway :lol: )
"The ECU logged a Code 4 (he may have said M4 he talked like he was on speed)."
"This translates to a MAP sensor out of range error"
"Mitsubishi are aware of this and advised us to update the ECU software and clear the error"

"The new ECU software we only recieved it yesterday..."

"We didnt even get our hands dirty!"

mmmmm it makes sense its a computer problem (being in IT myself, the failures did act like redundancy software routines...)
but the neatly dressed boy behind the counter didnt instill confidence in his verdict...

time can only tell. :|
Last edited by borngeek on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

ive lost my cruise 2 times 1 time about 3 weeks ago driving along sedately went to engage cruise and nothing second time was today just got on the high way and nothing again. driving for 45mins suxs with no cruise boo hoo for me :cry: what actually makes the cruise stop working?....... stupid triton ecu :evil:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Notso on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm

I must be doing something wrong, or right, but Ive never had any problems with Engine Lights or such. Done over 80,000 ks now most of it towing a two tonne van and never had an issue of any kind.

Great economy, great power, just a super truck. Mine is an August 06 build.
Notso

Postby Skippy on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

mine suffered the above problem today, hope they fix it under warranty asap! they might try to pull the whole "you havent been getting it serviced with us therefore the software is not checked so pay me money" trick!
Skippy
Skippy

Return to Warranty/Recalls