Details of Hotline fixes/technical service bulletins/recalls

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Details of Hotline fixes/technical service bulletins/recalls

Postby slimv6 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:27 pm

woooooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!

This is great news. I just made the preemptive call to the local stealer. lets see how long it takes this recall to get to RSA! Good one guys!
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby Adz on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:33 am

Etoile wrote:Thanks Adz for the hotline fix number,

No worries Etoile, glad to help! ;)

My car is now back at the stealers for yet another repair! :evil: :o

Somehow, they managed to either forget to tighten the left hand exhaust header or something because its making a god awful noise like I've got a hole in my muffler!!! :evil: :evil:
It started doing it last thursday night (yes, the day I picked her up) but I figured it might just be the new gasket settling in or whatever but alas, this is not the case!

I've aksed them to put the truck thru their car wash so we'll see if I have to pay for it or not....or if they even do it!! :shock:
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby slimv6 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey Ads!

just a Q on the v6 recall, is there a vin or engine number range? I think I was farmed a crud story about it only affecting Aus vehicles. but well, we all know that they come from the same factory.

SA manufactures locally and is feeding these into the market. I still have an import and it suffers from the rumble. Any wise words?

Best!

s.
slimv6

Postby Homer on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Hey Slim you always say rumble.

The noise is a definite tick, almost identical to a faulty hydraulic lifter in older style push rod engines.

Does yours tick?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby slimv6 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:56 pm

homer.

I reckon it could be construed as a tick, but i can't tell if it's from the top or bottom. I can't hear anything from underneath, and the other symptoms explained are the same. only happens when warm, only after 1st oil change and goes away after about 1400rpm.

My old 3.0 had a valve lifter tick, but it's completely diffferent to that...

anyhoo, I will try and see what theyse farts know, if it is anything! :)

I'll try and make a recording. Just gotta bomb down to durban now. will be back later!

:o
slimv6

Postby Adz on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 am

slimv6 wrote:Hey Ads!

just a Q on the v6 recall, is there a vin or engine number range?

Hi Slim, no sorry...I pestered the stealer until he eventually sorted it out for me...I can ask them but I think it just comes down to whoever has the rattle, gets the fix. I could be wrong.
Adz

Postby Etoile on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi gents,

dropped the truck off this morning to get the 'ticking' sorted. Asked about getting my service book stamped etc for 30k service to which the salesmen declined. He told me they weren't going to replace the oil simply drain it and put it back in?!? Also blah blah about brakes and suspension getting cleaned and ECU reflash...

Anyone know if this is the same reflash as those in South Africa have been getting?

Damo
Etoile

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:30 am

Etoile wrote:Hi gents,

dropped the truck off this morning to get the 'ticking' sorted. Asked about getting my service book stamped etc for 30k service to which the salesmen declined. He told me they weren't going to replace the oil simply drain it and put it back in?!? Also blah blah about brakes and suspension getting cleaned and ECU reflash...

Anyone know if this is the same reflash as those in South Africa have been getting?

Damo

:shock: I can't express how strongly worded my reply to that would have been.

I don't know your situation mate, but that wouldn't even be considered anywhere I can think of....Somalia maybe?

If he wont change it, buy your own oil....then snot the pr*ck and write a letter to Mitsubishi.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:32 am

^^^ what he said :evil:
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby Etoile on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 am

:shock: I can't express how strongly worded my reply to that would have been.

I don't know your situation mate, but that wouldn't even be considered anywhere I can think of....Somalia maybe?

If he wont change it, buy your own oil....then snot the pr*ck and write a letter to Mitsubishi.[/quote]

Unfortunately I don't know much about mechanics/engines; I told him I was shocked that they would put back old oil in a practicly rebuilt engine to which he said "Mitsubishi does not cover consumerbles in warranty jobs. Sure, we''ll replace the coolant but if you want new oil you'll have to pay for it." :shock: By then a few other staff memebers were all watching on and we weren't getting anywhere and told him to carry out the service while it was in... :? :oops:

I will definately get onto it now though, really feeling ripped off :oops:
Etoile

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Yes I would get onto it for sure. It's principal.
It isn't a warranty issue, it is a code of good practice issue.
I would cut and paste Adz hotline fix number he put up on page 1 with all the part numbers they list - including oil - and front up with that.
That is why Mits put it in there. You can't remove and then refill old engine oil.
The guy can't argue that it is just plain wrong to do that.

Ask him if he re uses condoms :lol: same thing.....you could do it and it would probably still work....but eeeew

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Etoile on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 pm

I can already imagine the look I'd get using that comparison! :lol:

I'll try your first suggestion though, just not sure if I should produce now or when I pick up the car? I'm assuming I will get a service invoice that will list some over priced oil and filter...

How's your car running anyway Homer? Apart from the noise being gone, have you noticed any preformance gains? :)
Etoile

Postby Adz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:24 am

Thats complete bullsh!t Etoile, they HAVE to replace the oil as part of the rebuild because of the run-in it needs. Like Homer & myself were both told, take it easy for the first 1000km's...there's a reason for this!!

I would tell them that you're not picking it up until the oil is changed...and I'd be trying to weasel something else out of them for f*cking you around!! :evil:

Good luck mate!
Adz

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:01 am

Hey Etoile, I haven't noticed any difference to be honest, except it's nice and quiet. Judging by my dyno results the before and after were pretty much identical so all good there.

I would be producing the hotfix now. Better to have it sorted before than after.
If you turn up when it's done he may try to give you..."OK then we will put new oil in, but we are fully booked until two weeks from Wednesday."

P.S If it is part of the official hot fix from Mitsubishi, he will be paid for the job - including new oil. That is some subtle ammunition there - he is being paid to replace it. I don't think he'd want Mits finding out he is charging them for oil he is not using ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Etoile on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:52 am

Hi lads,

Picked up the Triton yesterday and she is running beautifully!! :D I'm actually really surprized how much better; 'cleaner' pull, a LOT smoother... I don't know if it's the pistons or the ECU reflash but it's a definitely better!

It took just under 3 weeks, and overall service wasn't as good as what it seems you lads have been getting; pretty much just showed me an A4 sheet with a few lines on it saying the fix had been carried out and that was it; No "go easy on the rev's" or anything - OH well! :roll:

Can't wait until I've run it in, because she just keeps pull - I want to see what she can do now haha :twisted: :lol:

Damo
Etoile

Postby slimv6 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Gents,

I have been enquiring about this hotfix here and they seem to think it does not exist. Is there a VIN range available?

oh, if you ever come to africa, please remember to set your watch back about four years. :(
slimv6

Postby Etoile on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:10 am

slimv6 wrote:Gents,

I have been enquiring about this hotfix here and they seem to think it does not exist. Is there a VIN range available?

oh, if you ever come to africa, please remember to set your watch back about four years. :(

Hi Slim, not sure about VIN range but I do know I had to fight with the stealers for a long time here in Perth - even AFTER Mitsubishi had released the fix. The only time I got anything to happen was when I called MMAL themselves and got them to call the stealer informing them of the fix!!! :o I would suggest trying that, it doesn't seem to be a well know problem - I'm assuming because the majority of ML's sold have been diesel...

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you go! :)

Damo
Etoile

Postby slimv6 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 pm

I got word back from mitsu SA.

they said that it's country specific... bs, i'm guessing o they don't know wbout it...

anyway my engine no is 6g74tb9500, how far is that off yours??
slimv6

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 am

I wont see mine for a week, but will try to remember to check when it's back.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tambaroora-gold on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:37 pm

slimv6 wrote:I got word back from mitsu SA.

they said that it's country specific... bs, i'm guessing o they don't know wbout it...

anyway my engine no is 6g74tb9500, how far is that off yours??

Hi slim,

Mine goes in for the fix in a fortnight (if Mits comes to the party with a replacement vehicle)...my engine number is 6G74TQ1093 and is a 08 VR if thats any help.

Must add that my Mits Service Centre has been very supportive to get the fix done...and not to be an alarmist but it was mentioned in conversation that the knock will have a detrimental effect on the engine over time which is contrary to what others have been told.

Good luck matey :)

Wazza
South Coast NSW
tambaroora-gold

Postby slimv6 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 pm

THanks wazza.

mine's mnf'd in sept 07. maybe too old?
@etoile, what range is your engine number in, TQ also?

s.
slimv6

Postby tambaroora-gold on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 am

Hi again Slim,

Here's a link you might want to read

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/updat ... p?aid=3388

This guys Triton was a 2007 GLS and he had the knock after 10000 k's.

You could try posting on that site and see if the original poster could help with engine number.

I have read somewhere that others had the knock (or still do have it) and they had 07 models and I have been told that this engine is used in other vehicles other then the Triton so there must be a few people scratching their heads.

I'm not knocking Mits as I reckon the Triton is still the best of the rest, but it strikes me that they must have known of this issue well before I purchased my vehicle in July 2008 but yet they allowed them to go on the show room floor... which totally sux. (Their policy must be to palm it off to the customer and hope for the best).

Anyways its good that they have excepted there is a problem and are fixing it here in Aussie, I know this doesn't help you much but the more ammo you get the better chance you might have in SA.

Good luck

Wazza
South Coast NSW
tambaroora-gold

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:37 am

Link doesn't work Wazza

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 am

tambaroora-gold wrote:I'm not knocking Mits as I reckon the Triton is still the best of the rest, but it strikes me that they must have known of this issue well before I purchased my vehicle in July 2008 but yet they allowed them to go on the show room floor... which totally sux. (Their policy must be to palm it off to the customer and hope for the best).

Same with the power steering pump issues in the early models of the ML. Downright dangerous if you found out in traffic. :shock: :roll:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Etoile on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 am

slimv6 wrote:THanks wazza.

mine's mnf'd in sept 07. maybe too old?
@etoile, what range is your engine number in, TQ also?

s.

Hey Slim, I will check my engine number tonight however I do know that my Triton is a Jan 07 build so I imagine this problem goes back a fair way...

I've had the truck back for about a week now and I'm still amazed at how much better it runs! :o Obviously I have no way of proving it (I've never had her on a dyno) but it feels more responsive, A LOT smoother, and most of all at idle doesn't sound like parts are going to fall out of the engine :?

Also Slim, I noticed you spoke of a 'rumble' in a thread about this - before the fix if I pressed the load pedal (when over taking etc) I would get something similar. It felt like the engine was shaking under the bonnet, I just assumed this was normal... Not sure if this is what you experience? Either way that seems to have disappeared now thankfully!! :D
Etoile

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls