Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Any engine regardless of being petrol or diesel will die a premature death and suffer a lot more issues if never allowed to get up to temperature, diesels more so, Diesels are meant to be worked, not pussy footed

Google ( Alloytec oil sludge ) images and check out what owners of these Commodore engines are suffering due to poor maintenance, constant short cold running trips to shops, drop the kids off at school, big dollar repair jobs, pretty scary actually when you see how many are on the road and for sale :o
WUNSIE

Postby colin b on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Just an update - I have bought and installed the Munji EGR Defeat module and, as for Tony's device, it took me only minutes to install it (if plugging it in counts as "installing") Cost was $129 including shipping ordered online and it was here within 3 working days.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby Lin1952 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 am

My 2006 ML 3.2 has just ticked over 230.000K's. The manifold has never been cleaned, but motor still runs and pulls okay. Am going to have the manifold cleaned or replaced as a precaution.

Can anyone recommend a mechanic or workshop in Southern Tasmania to undertake this work ?
Lin1952

Postby leanne on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:24 pm

We had the intake manifold cleaned on a 2009 Triton 2.5 and a catch can installed.

Drove it home (4 km from mechanic). Took it out for a test drive and no more than 2 km down the road the engine light comes on & loss of power. Mechanic indicates the error is 'turbo underboost' and says they need to order a turbo switch.

Just after a second opinion if the catch can installation should look like this. Thanks.

Click to view larger picture
leanne

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Bloody hell whats with all the elbows, I can count nearly 10 hose clamps alone, obviously a length of heater hose has been used and just cut to suit :roll:
WUNSIE

Postby Mayhem2015 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm

That looks more complicated than it needs to be. I have a flashlube and not a provent but the hoses run much more direct and no elbows. I can't imagine how that wold interfere with the turbo though.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 am

Definitely looks restrictive, smooth bends with no reduction or even better, slightly larger tubing , would be better.

If the manifold has been off, check that all the vacuum tubes are back in the proper spots.

Also check the tube from the manifold to MAP sensor.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:04 am

looks like a complicated install to me, with way too many points for possible leaks.

You can get the provent catch cans supplied in a kit with all the hoses, makes for a much cleaner installation.
Maxiy

Postby koshari on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 pm

pppfff, catch cans! running onto 360,000km on my ml, done need no stenkin catch can. ;) ;)
koshari

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Agreed. With controlled EGR there really should be no need.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Duck on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 am

Has anyone used the mobile hydrogen guys that are getting around for a clean. Makes some sense but real experience eats YouTube every second time. How much did you pay and did you notice a difference?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby honie on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am

my provent only has two hoses and definatley no elbows
honie

Postby honie on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 am

My provent only has to hoses and definatley no elbows work well no probs at all
honie

Postby MN Driver on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 pm

My catch can is the same as yours leanne, lots of bends. It hasn't dropped in power for me and I have had it on for 6 months now.
160K on the clock and I now have to get the manifold cleaned. she is pretty choked up. Getting done next week. Can't wait to see the difference once cleaned
MN Driver

Postby jrs184 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm

MN Driver wrote:My catch can is the same as yours leanne, lots of bends. It hasn't dropped in power for me and I have had it on for 6 months now.
160K on the clock and I now have to get the manifold cleaned. she is pretty choked up. Getting done next week. Can't wait to see the difference once cleaned

Do you have the egr delete in place?...
The catchcan saves you from cleaning the intercooler and the condensate from going into the intake manifold...
jrs184

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:43 am

I blanked my egr about 4k from new and in 245k only ever had a tiny bit of oil in the intercooler when checked on a couple of occasions. If you're not getting the soot from the exhaust, the oil vapours haven't got anything to combine with and make the goop that blocks up the manifold.

All the catch cans I've looked at concern me from a restriction point of view. I'll put up with a smidge of oil and not worry about stressed seals, etc.

That hose configuration with all the elbows above is a bloody disaster of an install.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Driver on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:09 am

No I didn't have the egr blanked off, but had a remap done about 12 months ago. I am the second owner of the triton and made all of the changes as soon as I bought it. The catch can was put on 6 months after doing the remap. I checked it the other day and only has a small film of oil on the bottom of the catch can.
MN Driver

Postby jrs184 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:50 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Bloody hell whats with all the elbows, I can count nearly 10 hose clamps alone, obviously a length of heater hose has been used and just cut to suit :roll:

Can't see the point of having the catchcan so close to the turbo and hottest part of the engine bay, how are the engine fumes and condensate going to condense if they can't cool down. I put my can on the coolest side of the engine with pipe rising to the can. I Clean the can filter every fortnight overnite by capillary action..definitely worth doing to see how much would otherwise end up in the intercooler then inlet manifold...
jrs184

Postby MN Driver on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Isn't the whole idea of having a catch can pre intercooler side to prevent oil going into the intercooler ?
MN Driver

Postby Maxiy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 am

MN Driver wrote:Isn't the whole idea of having a catch can pre intercooler side to prevent oil going into the intercooler ?

I think what JRS is saying is that he has just placed the catchcan on the opposite side of the engine bay to the turbo (Cooler side). The point which the catch can returns the crank case vent pipe will likely still be the same (into the air intake pre-intercooler)
Maxiy

Postby jrs184 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 pm

Maxiy wrote:
MN Driver wrote:Isn't the whole idea of having a catch can pre intercooler side to prevent oil going into the intercooler ?

I think what JRS is saying is that he has just placed the catchcan on the opposite side of the engine bay to the turbo (Cooler side). The point which the catch can returns the crank case vent pipe will likely still be the same (into the air intake pre-intercooler)

Correct, I just used 16mm fuel hoses and longer smooth curves and reducers and expanders as required to meet the can then back to original inlet to intercooler pipe. There is no back pressure from the provent as long as you clean the filter, even if you do let it clog then their are two 1psi relief valves to release pressure...
jrs184

Postby colin b on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 am

Well, I installed my Munji EGR defeat almost a year ago and so far I am a happy camper. Over both city and country running I have noticed a slight improvement in fuel economy, in fact, on a recent run down the freeway to Mandurah the fuel economy readout got down to 8.4.

I record all my fuel purchases and overall economy has dropped by at least 1 litre per 100k.s, probably because the engine is no longer breathing exhaust gas.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby MN Driver on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 pm

So I just picked up the triton from opposite lock for what I thought was going to be a straight forward removal of the inlet manifold and a carbon clean but it turns out that the actuator on the turbo and the butterfly valve in the manifold was seized. This speed up the process of carbon build up in the manifold. All I can say is OMG, soooo much more power. I am a very happy triton owner.
MN Driver

Postby VikingBandit on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Can you provide me with detail on what triton are you now going to fit a catch can

I think also for everyone's curiosity what was the $
VikingBandit

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53 pm

@VikingBandit. His username is "MN Driver" which should tell you anyway but if you click on his username above the post it will link to his profile and from there you can search his posts (here). Just a few posts down the page there's even a picture.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls