Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby Booger on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:26 pm

shaggy wrote:Here you go mate
tony@spvindustries.com
Send tony an email or pm him

Thanks muchly.
I've only just gone over 20k and the donk feels a bit "under responsive", but could be the fuel also... :roll:
Booger

Postby AussieRob78 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:19 pm

Hey folks

So my 2007 ML Triton has decent fuel economy on a freeway / highway run... have been sitting around 8.7-9L/100km when at speed. For stop / start it does go up to around 12l/100 or so (all based on the GLXR trip comp).

The engine has 184,000 odd km on it. I purchased the ute second hand a couple of months ago and have no idea as to what mods have already been done to it. I felt that the ute was lacking power on the weekend, hard to pinpoint really... but didn't feel quite right.

It doesn't blow smoke under load. It did, however, recently throw up a P0106 error. I cleared the code a couple of hundred km ago and it has not reappeared, although I am getting the dealership to check into it when it goes in for the ball joint recall this week.

It does have an oil catch can fitted.

I was going to look at the pipe indicated on subi_man's post (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2477#p35002) on the first page to see how the build up was looking, but it appears to have been blocked off. Is this part of the EGR mod?? I'm not hugely up to scratch with mechanical work, especially on diesels yet, but am learning. It's been a while since I have had a car I wanted to work on!

Click to view larger picture

¡dləɥ pəəu ı 'sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

2007 ML Triton Dual Cab
Ironman suspension with a 2 inch lift
3 inch Mantra exhaust
AussieRob78

Postby AussieRob78 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Ok, so after further digging it looks like I have the newer manifold... So that's a win.

I've found a leak leading into the catch can feeder from the manifold, will get that cleaned up and check out a few things, and report back!
¡dləɥ pəəu ı 'sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

2007 ML Triton Dual Cab
Ironman suspension with a 2 inch lift
3 inch Mantra exhaust
AussieRob78

Postby dustywheels on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:21 pm

ok I've just skimmed all 47 pages, so am I right in thinking that the best fix is a catch can and SPV module or do I just need on or the other ??
Please help my head hurts.
Are we there yet
dustywheels

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:36 am

Personally I'd go both. You'll really appreciate the benefit of the module straight away, the catch can will give you peace of mind regarding how much blow by you actually trap and drain out. I'm definitely no expert but the two things you mentioned are two solutions to two concerns. That's gotta be a good thing. If my triton could speak I'm sure he'd be thanking me for keeping his engine clean and prolonging it's life.
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:39 am

dustywheels wrote:ok I've just skimmed all 47 pages, so am I right in thinking that the best fix is a catch can and SPV module or do I just need on or the other ??
Please help my head hurts.

From what I understand no, if you have the EGR mod then a catch can is not needed, happy to be corrected though. I have the plug'n'play EGR mod so haven't been too concerned about a catch can as yet, having said that I also agree with dieselweasel, it can't hurt and can only do good. I will be fitting one also down the track, just not a big priority now, (other mods to spend my coin on) :roll: :roll:
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dustywheels on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 am

thanks to those that have replied so far.

one more question, Has anyone tried the Chiptune EGR Module ?

http://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/

Is there a difference between the Chiptune and SPV ?

OK that's two questions :lol:
Are we there yet
dustywheels

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:16 am

dustywheels wrote:thanks to those that have replied so far.

one more question, Has anyone tried the Chiptune EGR Module ?

http://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/

Is there a difference between the Chiptune and SPV ?

OK that's two questions :lol:

I don't know any-thing about the chiptune EGR module, mine is SPVi module, I can only recommend that, easy as to install (takes longer to lift and close the hood), Tony from SPVi is also a forum sponsor and is heavily into his Tritons (amongst a lot of other things,) and he has a big deck :lol: :lol: .
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Chip tuning sources their egr modules from Tony.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby dustywheels on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Chip tuning sources their egr modules from Tony.

thought as much, apart from cosmetics they look very similar.
Are we there yet
dustywheels

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Chip tuning sources their egr modules from Tony.

Cheers CD, probably should have picked up on that from the Dominator chip Tony sent :oops:

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby keno351 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:44 am

might be a dumb question but how do you know if the electronic egr off modules are working
keno351

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:14 am

You need an obd reader of some description. Then you can check either egr position or throttle position sensor.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Desert Brewer on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi all...I think this is the most appropriate place to post this.

I took the 2010 MN in to the dealer because the airbag light came on. .

I get a phone call late that arvo to say that new lumes needed and the throttle body also needs replacing - mitsi recommend not driving the car. Cars at the dealers awaiting parts.

My car had the motor replaced earlier in the year under the cooling service campaign, I understand that they unbolt every thing, replace motor, bolt everything back on - so I assume that I have the same inlet manifold and throttle body that I have had since new - 60,000 km ago - although the new motor has just done 5000.

Does the changing off the throttle body include an inlet manifold clean ? Would I have the newer or old manifold? I don't run any carbon reduction add-ons, and am a bit worried about the carbon buildup. Really considering Tony's new little plug and play device that I can remove easily prior to service.

On another note........... I ask about a loaner as I have to get the kids to and from school. All the dealers loaners are out and the service guy needs to submit extra paperwork to mitsi seeking approval for a renter - I get that, I have been through the process a number of times :roll: .

What I don't get is why there is not an automatic approvals process that mitsi have when they get known warranty issues come through, rather than extra paperwork that can take 1 - 2 days. I live in the middle of this wide red land, if the part isn't in stock, it comes from Sydney - min 3 days - by the time you get the part, do the work - the weeks gone.

We will see what tomorrow brings - a renter would be good.

Cheers,

DB
Desert Brewer

Postby strangeblue on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah they really have gone very strict on the loan car recently. I had my engine replaced under warranty this year and they flat out refused to provide me with a replacement vehicle despite the dealer telling me I was entitled to one. Only after escalating my response to involve threats of legal action was it acknowledged that I should've been provided with a replacement vehicle from day one. Unfortunately for me I was getting my vehicle back the next day so it was a bittersweet victory. MMAL did eventually give me $300 voucher towards my next service but it doesn't go close to compensating me for the camping trip away that I had to cancel with my son...

I am also keen to know whether my inlet manifolds were replaced or at least cleaned during the motor replacement , any attempts to get this info out of the dealer have met with a brick wall so far. I guess the only way to know would be to pull them off and have a look...
strangeblue

PROS and CONS of EGR

Postby harland on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:26 am

Who came up with Exhaust Gas Recirculation, does it actually produce lower emissions in the long term,
So what are the pros and cons of EGR.
PROS,
- aids the combustion process to produce less emissions during idle, off boost, between gear changes.
- EGR does not function under all conditions.
CONS,
- puts exhaust gas into intake manifold,
-when exhaust cools in intake manifold it turns into carbon,
-carbon builds up in intake mixing with oil mist from Positive Crankcase Ventilation causing restriction in throttle butterflies which can cause even less oxygen getting into cylinder, which in extreme cases causes pistons to melt,
- reduces the available oxygen in combustion process which means less power and efficiency,
- if carbon and gunk is in manifold it will find its way into cylinder which will cause extra wear to cylinders, piston and rings.
- extra carbon in the engine oil,
- decreases the overall reliability of the engine by increasing wear and reducing combustion efficiency that makes power
- costs extra money and time trying to stop EGR from doing what it suppose to do
- they market it as something that reduces emissions when most of the time it does not function to reduce emissions,
JUST A THORN IN MY SIDE rant over

-
harland

Postby Joe Spataro on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:47 pm

I have an 07 triton 3.2l and have recently had tge engine check light coming on for a week or so and then switching off again. Mechanic changed egr valve and check engine light coming on again. Its still registering as an egr fault. Any ideas on what coukd be the issue. Seems to happen whilst towing and doesn't have much power when pulling a load. Could the inlet manifold be blocked. Is it worth putting a blanket cover on egr? I have just started adding Liqui Moly Diesel Clean Boost to my fuel to see if that helps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Joe
Joe Spataro

Joe Spataro

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Yeah it's probably blocked. No a blank won't assist, the horse has already bolted. In any event the electronic approach to stopping egr is a better solution, especially for the ML which will often code if you put a blank in. I doubt the liqui moly will fix it, but it also probably won't hurt, so why not.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Joe Spataro wrote: I have just started adding Liqui Moly Diesel Clean Boost to my fuel to see if that helps.

You do realise that these are a direct injection system - where the fuel (diesel) is injected directly into the cylinder. Meaning that a fuel additive will never go anywhere near the intake manifold which only carries air, and recycled exhaust if not blanked.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jeffoz on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:39 am

Hi everyone, I've got a 2015 mn triton and I just bought the spvi ear plug and play mod.

I was just wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for and does anyone have a quick pictures to show the install or is it really as simple as everyone says.

Thanks
Jeffoz

Postby kaybee on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:41 am

Yep. Remove plug, fit spvi unit where plug came from, fit plug to other end of unit, be happy!

kaybee

Postby sewerserpent on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Good pic Kaybee.
I just want to know how to get one.I believe there is a member that you can purchase the unit from.
Cheers,
Larry
sewerserpent

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:30 pm

His username is Tony.

PM or preferably email tony@spvindustries.com
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby sewerserpent on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi Now for the 5th,
thanks heaps for the info and the amazingly fast reply.
I have a 2008 ML 3.2,I have tried the EGR blanking plate with little success she kept going into limp mode,which is a bugger when your towing your camper van and loaded to the gunnels.She would'nt pull the skin of a custard! :o I removed the blanking plate,all's well for the time being,until the dreaded carbon rears it's ugly head again.
The old girl has 265,000K's up now and I still love her :oops:
Hope to chat with you again.
Cheers,
Larry.
sewerserpent

Postby Jedt on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:58 pm

I have been running Tony's egr mod and the mann and hummel catch can since new. Took it off the other day for my 15k service and the amount of oil it stops going into the engine is amazing. best thing I did.
Jedt

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls