Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby madpyro on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Sorry guys having probs with the pc if you want a pic pm me with email and ill send it

*fixed 8-)
Click to view larger picture
madpyro

Postby hicko on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm

madpyro wrote:Here is a pic of the new inlet pipe

So it is a complete new manifold part
Remember we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors
We borrow it from our children

My best day at work is still not as good as my worse day fishing
“Aren’t you wishing you were fishing “
hicko

Postby Homer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:41 am

Was the porting different internally did you notice? It looks from the outside that they have just added or more likely moved a sensor? I don't think this will stop carbon build up from the dodgy diesel?

Hey Jits it's all just fish and chip fat to me mate :D

And...I'll have you know... I filled up before Easter and didn't once look at any petrol station signs the whole weekend...just turned my head completely whenever I passed one. Don't know what you're talking about.... ;)

On a serious note I wasn't having a go at your Bio diesel. I think that it is worth looking into the vegetarian fuel.
If you're having no probs and a fair proportion of the rest are judging by this forum and the fact Mits are manufacturing new components to overcome the carbon probs, then it would be good to find out what's working.

Do any of the guys using premium diesel have any probs? I think the Redlands Bandits (was that the handle?) are running that?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 am

I have plenty of problems..... ;)

The ute however....If i ever get the call back for the u-bolts they will be checking for carbon build up.
- No syptoms except for a mild 'surge' when dead cold - only within first minute of starting.
jop

Postby Greedy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:59 am

Homer wrote:If you're having no probs and a fair proportion of the rest are judging by this forum and the fact Mits are manufacturing new components to overcome the carbon probs, then it would be good to find out what's working.

I think a "fair proportion" probably needs to be polled to get a true indication. Not too many are going to post that they're having no carbon problems as it's "normal operation" (wish I had a dollar for each time my dealer has said that to me). Forums posts will generally only attract the "affected" on an issue such as this. I haven't had any probs yet but I'm only 30k into ownership. Having now given myself the kiss of death, no doubt it will be an issue in a month or 2. :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

Jop you wanna hear the missus list my problems mate!

Greedy, yeah I mis wrote that. These forums are usually for a complaint or advice on problems so is biased that way for sure - I love my truck but whinge all the time :oops:

What got me thinking like that was Mits manufacturing and fitting a complete new piece for free and not just putting them on new models.
There must be something in that, although car manufacturers are pretty conservative when it comes to possible faults. They issue recalls on things that I would consider quite minor, so could be like that.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Greedy on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am

Homer wrote:What got me thinking like that was Mits manufacturing and fitting a complete new piece for free and not just putting them on new models. There must be something in that, although car manufacturers are pretty conservative when it comes to possible faults.

I can see where you're coming from with this. It is basically an acceptance on their part that there is a problem of significant note.
Homer wrote:They issue recalls on things that I would consider quite minor, so could be like that.

It does make me wonder on some recalls how minor they sound and then no recall for things like the power steering dropout in the earlier models. Mine had that issue and it was bloody dangerous when it happened. It also buggered my shoulder for a couple of days as I wasn't expecting the use of "power arms".
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

I'm with you on the steer thing too.
Even though mine is the later one and is supposed to be fixed, it tore the wheel out of my hands - or my hands tore off the wheel - when trying to correct a wet weather slide while under power. Nearly dislocated a thumb and there is no warning. Just emergency turn - no sorry not doing it...crash.

I wrote to the department that issue recalls and registered my feeble protest.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby bobp on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 pm

60000 km and have not had any carbon probs
the trick is to flog the crap out of it so the carbon does not have a chance to build up :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobp

Postby subi_man on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 pm

hicko wrote: So it is a complete new manifold part

Picked mine up today, and it's much more responsive and uses less fuel (back near the original consumption when it was new). I don't think this replacement section of manifold will cure the carbon problems (maybe the associated ECU reflash will?) - the only real difference I see from the outside is that the boost sensor tube now comes off the manifold upstream of the EGR motor, and not downstream, so in theory it will never got blocked by carbon
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Coming back from Geelong today and the old girl bogged down and started belching black smoke - wouldn't rev past 2k rpm - did it twice, each time it lasted about 15 - 20 seconds, looks like a trip to Mitsu on Tuesday... :(
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:14 am

closing the EGR vavle,
make a gasket with the dimensions and same mold, as the one displayed in the picture, this gasket should be approximately .4mm thick, this will close your erg vavle.

the other recommednation,
is the small rubber tube coming from the engine directly to the intake pipe, remove this small rubber tube, get a long hose and cable tie it, and direct the hose under the engine, so that it can be thrown out.
this will avoide all carbon build up.
using an oil catch can will help, but not eliminate it as fitting alongated hose and redirecting it out to under the truck.

Click to view larger picture Click to view larger picture

hope this helps alot. remember that carbon build up is horrible and is bad for engine, turbo, intercooler etc.
Last edited by MonsterTriton on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby Choady on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:25 am

subi_man wrote:
hicko wrote: So it is a complete new manifold part

Picked mine up today, and it's much more responsive and uses less fuel (back near the original consumption when it was new). I don't think this replacement section of manifold will cure the carbon problems (maybe the associated ECU reflash will?) - the only real difference I see from the outside is that the boost sensor tube now comes off the manifold upstream of the EGR motor, and not downstream, so in theory it will never got blocked by carbon

Good to see your fuel economy return to normal there Subi :D

I agree - the ECU reflash is likely to be the only thing to perhaps fix/reduce the carbon. the new manifold will only mean the sensor doesn't get blocked again. Its probably a circular type event - carbon build up, sensor gets blocked, therfore more carbon build up etc etc... Hopefully the ECU reflash improves combustion process and means less carbon.
Choady

Postby Homer on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I reckon it's all to do with emissions and shite fuel more than ECU - IMHO.

Diesels are the most basic engines on the planet but they make major carbon, always have (and pollutants for the greenies on here).
For them to not run right - that is stop - I think is because they produce too much carbon for the sensors because they are set up for emissions targets - in cases of chips maybe? and/or my bet, trying to achieve emissions targets causes worse carbon buildup internally, blocking these sensors - like the pipe funneling exhaust gases back.
I think this is a fine line and is surpassed by our fuel burning badly compared to design conditions - or fuel.
So Mits - because they can't not comply with emissions - just design another place to take the readings from.

I would be chasing the EGR debate (or other emission devices) and additives myself to minimise internal carbonising.

Just my 2 baht worth

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:13 pm

has any one installed the diesel/gas technology i think it sounds like a really good idea and it would probably stop this carbon build up

http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby hicko on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Well today I took the plunge and removed the intake manifold to see how bad the carbon was building up.I was amazed at how bad it was . I can’t say it went smoothly because it didn’t. The whole job took me 8hrs from go to finish. Just about everything on the passenger side had to come out, including the fuel rail. The manifold is made from 2 parts and has some kind of butterfly set up in it.
The reason I wanted to remove the manifold is that under hard acceleration the engine would go into limp home mode, then I would have to clean out the boost controller tube with a piece of wire and all would be good again.
Plus I'm going for another dyno soon so I didn't want it to shut down during the dyno run.

This is under the EGR , as you can see not long before it would have been totally blocked

This is a before photo of the front half of the manifold where the new inlet for the boost controller will be located as you can see this area is very clean.

These photos don’t show it but the carbon was 5 to 10mm thick through the whole manifold, with a big build up at the end of it. It was a wonder that the butterfly set up worked at all. I cleaned it with turps , a wire brush and an air degreasing spray gun. It was one of the dirtiest jobs I have ever done on a car.

The boost controller tube inlet is hardly visible through the carbon ,it is the black spot on the left hand side top piece of manifold, you can see it clearly on the after cleanup photo it is easy visible.

The EGR is pumping dirty exhaust back into the inlet manifold and the bit of oil that blows out of the tappet cover turn the carbon into a dirty thick black tarry gunk. My manifold was suppose to have been cleaned at about 45000kms but I doubt whether that was done . I never intend to do this job again so I have blanked off the EGR at the manifold and I will install a catch can to catch any oil that is coming out of the tappet cover.
This is the manifold after cleanup.
I get very good fuel comsumpion 750plus kms per tank of fuel so I don't think this has anythink to do with how the motor is running. more to do with the exhaust going back through the manifold.I have just clocked over 75000kms.
I think this is going to happen to all of theTritons at some stage so all beware..
Last edited by hicko on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hicko

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 am

Boy thats bad! Hey does anymore know the replacement section part number and cost as i wouldn't mind just buying it and fixing the problem myself.
GLX-RSilver

Postby andyj on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:54 am

I have had the manifold changed due to that annoying rattle i have nbeen having around the 2000rpm range but it was supposed to cure it its still there mitsi customer line is due to ring again this week earbending due again.Also had the U Bolts done as a recall got a letter and arranged it when i had the75000 service done, guess i'm bback at the stealers this week, will give it a run to coffs or sydney (Caravan show on at Rosehill) first to blow out the cobwebs and see if the rattle goes away
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby subi_man on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 am

That IS a shocker, Hicko :o
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:44 am

GLX-RSilver wrote:Boy thats bad! Hey does anymore know the replacement section part number and cost as i wouldn't mind just buying it and fixing the problem myself.

Eleventy billion, three hundred and four dollars and 27 cents Silver - you should buy two, one for me as well... :lol:
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:59 am

Holy Crap :o :shock:

Just out of interest, have you ever had the ECU reflash ?
Choady

Postby Homer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:02 am

I don't think the new intake will fix it Silver - except to get the sensor out of the main carbon stream to minimise/stop the dropout.
Everything will still be gunged up inside though.

The problem seems to be the emissions set up - probably exaggerated by our fuel.

I don't know what happens to wty if you do the EGR and pipe thing like others have?

Looks like fuel additives (petrol, kerro, octane booster etc) or maybe the bio diesel are the safest/best/quickest fix at present to investigate.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 am

Homer wrote:I don't think the new intake will fix it Silver - except to get the sensor out of the main carbon stream to minimise/stop the dropout.
Everything will still be gunged up inside though.

The problem seems to be the emissions set up - probably exaggerated by our fuel.

I don't know what happens to wty if you do the EGR and pipe thing like others have?

Looks like fuel additives (petrol, kerro, octane booster etc) or maybe the bio diesel are the safest/best/quickest fix at present to investigate.

I might start the 2L petrol/100L diesel treatment and see where it leads...
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 am

Yeah sounds interesting. Might have to give her a clean out or it might clog up anyway?

Prick of a job. :idea: Maybe make the stealer do it and change the manifold as well? You got the ammo and know the symptoms ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby hicko on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Choady wrote:Holy Crap :o :shock:

Just out of interest, have you ever had the ECU reflash ?

I had a reflash at 45000km service

hicko

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls