replacement inlet manifold

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: replacement inlet manifold

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:27 pm

yeah, i suppose i got onto it a little late at around 27k :oops: I get the provent next week so that will go on straight away and hopefully all will be good from then. Given the situation, i might see about getting that new manifold...

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Kegsy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:27 am

Blank it Fraz and drill a 10mm hole in the throttle. Its worth the destruction :lol:

Then you'll be right. I haven't had one single limp since doing it.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zookstar1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Ooookay...
Only just started reading about this whole EGR thing and it seems to be a major on the tritons.
Even on the very low k ones :shock:
I bought my ML a week ago and has clocked 280.000 ...
Can't really say it lacks power but I guess I have to drive another one to compare.
Then again, the mods might already have been done, will have a squizz tomorrow.
Interesting read tho ;)
Zookstar1

Postby jos89h on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Its not just the Trito's with the problems, I cleaned out the intake on my Hilux today and it only has 140,000 on it.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Thats what i cleaned of out of just the EGR valve part of the intake and the pipe to the manifold
jos89h

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 am

Carbon sequestration. Greenies love this.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gspy4u on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 am

yep, my prado had the horrible stuff in it when i changed out the injectors. Took me a day to clean it out properly. It's all modern diesels with the anti pollution crap that reruns the crap air through the system.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 pm

yes its designed to self destruct , sucking its own crap and choking to death :o
mad992

Postby traffic530 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:35 pm

My dealer has just rung me to say that my triton 2009 needs the inlet manifold replaced because it is surging and there is a new manifold they have brought out that will fix this. Bottom line its going to cost $1800 to fix sounds outrageous is it true that there is a different manifold now appears they couldn't clean mine.
traffic530

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Don't do it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Dealer is Full of it. The revised manifold still carbons up. Just takes longer to throw codes etc as they moved the nipple where the MAP sensor plugs into.

For around $700-800 any competent mechanic can remove your inlet manifolds, clean them and reassemble.

There's even DIY instructions on this forum, and also manifold swaps available from Triton wreckers.

Tell ya dealer to stick it and go elsewhere.

Once it has been cleaned, contact SPV industries on this forum and get the EGR module which shuts the EGR off and you will never have a problem again.
Last edited by biggibbo on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggibbo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes there's a new inlet manifold but all they really did was change a sensor location so as to make it harder for it to block up. I had mine changed at Mitsubishi's cost - there is what they call a hotline fix where if you meet the criteria they replace it. I'm guessing you are out of warranty given the age of the vehicle?

I have the hotline fix document somewhere. Let me know if you need further details of it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Clean your own and fit a port for map sensor above the egr and towards t/b.

Manifold is same otherwise.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby traffic530 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Yeah I get don't do it but is that because this so called new manifold setup is bull or I am being ripped by the dealer. I have the surges and the engine light on its a 2009 model but its only got 80000kms on the clock just come back from 10000km trip towing the van got surges then but it cut out for a couple of weeks.
traffic530

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:01 pm

You're being ripped on price, they should do it at no cost in a perfect world, and the advantages aren't worth the coin so it's impractical. If you could clean it and then block the EGR you'd likely end up in as good a position.

I don't have the hotline fix stuff with me unfortunately. Do they already have the car? If so just tell them you've been told there's a hotline fix and why are they asking you to pay for something MMAL should be funding? If it can wait til tonight I can send you further details on that.

You've not mentioned where you are but Tritonwreckers (forum sponsor) offers an exchange service where they'll give you a clean manifold and you get a deposit back when you send them your dirty one. Not sure if that will help you right now though.

Cowboy Dave

Postby kouta666 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:44 pm

I had the check engine light on and no power, especially on hills.
If in Brisbane, I had Lee replace my upper inlet manifold for $300 and the bottom flushed. I've got a 2008 ML with 110k. Also put in a blank. It now drives like a new one. So much power :lol:
kouta666

Postby kaverne on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Had to bring back my 2010, 65k Challenger to Mitsubishi for the cooling system recall. I asked to have the manifold cleaned/changed whatever, so I can install Tony's chip.

They booked me for next monday, few minutes later I got a call from one of their technical guy. He was explaining me that cleaning the manifold will not help or they have to remove and clean far more than that. He even mentioned that a better way to go was to put some additive in oil or fuel, can't remember as I was so surprised.
So I guess they don't want to bother with manifold cleaning since the guy called me back without having seen the car !!! Plus it doesn't take genius to understand that the engine will have issues with the air intake if it's clogged ....

Will call Lee and ask for a full cleanup, at least I'm sure it will be done correctly. It would really kill me to pay those guys honestly .... Mitsubishi should really work more check how their local representative behave !
kaverne

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls