replacement inlet manifold

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: replacement inlet manifold

Postby alby79 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:34 pm

hi guys
i have been reading this post over the last couple days, i have had problems that have been mentioned and today my car was in getting the problem looked at and i was given the same run around.
My computer program needs to be retuned which i said ok. after that is done i will go back and say it is still happening untill they give in and fix it.
alby79

Postby The Finch on Thu May 27, 2010 7:34 am

I took mine into dealer this morning reporting surging, engine light, fuel consumption etc.
They told me they know the problem with manifolds and will look into it 4 me.

Geez, i hope its that easy to get things rectified. :D
The Finch

Postby The Finch on Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 pm

They have now ordered upper and lower manifolds.
All gskts and hoses etc.
also suction control valve.
will replace all next week. :D
The Finch

Postby MitsiGuy on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Blue wrote:
smeghead wrote:I had my car at the stealers today to get the u-bolts replaced and I talked to the guy there about the manifold problems. He told me that the problem only affects early models ie. 06 and early 07 models. He said that new manifolds with the newly located sensor were already on late 07 models and later...

I had the feeling that that is a load of crap but I wasn't entirely sure... can anyone here confirm or debunk this??

While I was there they replaced the suction control valve and the truck is running heeeeaaaaaaps better... like new!

I have a late 07 model so I am wondering if I am going to be lucky enough to avoid the carbon problem... :?

Build date on mine is March '08 and it's got the crap manifold...

All these problems are down to the fact we have crap Diesel in Australia. The Triton models overseas arent have any toubles.

All of the ML's are having the manifold troubles. From the very first one to the lastest one. It's mainly seen in the 3.2 litre the has only been a couple of the 2.5litre diesels giving mainfold problems. I havent seem any of the MN's giving any trouble yet but they are all 2.5's with the choice of the high power of lower power and are all autos.

the first thing the check is to make sure that your air filter is clean. I have seen stuffed air filters on these cause problems too.

I'm even starting to see in conjunction with the top inlet manifold blocking up the lower inlet manifold swirl butterfiles are also starting to clog up causing a stutter while driving and blowing blue smoke.

The SCV's have been giving trouble in the past but hopefully the problem has been fixed. The newer SCV's will have the number 0360 on them and are located on the back of the injector pump.
MitsiGuy

Postby AdrianL on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey Guys

Reported the surging to my stealer (Melville Mitsubishi) and booked the car in the other day. When I dropped the car off the stealer tried to tell me that because I had my vehicle serviced at my local mech than I would have to pay for the updates to the con board comp. Anyway they had the car for 2 days and did the works on the manifold which had heaps of carbon in it. Got the car back yesterday, runs soo much better and all covered under warranty. Lets hope thats the last of the surging!! :)
AdrianL

Postby borngeek on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:10 am

AdrianL wrote:Hey Guys

Reported the surging to my stealer (Melville Mitsubishi) and booked the car in the other day. When I dropped the car off the stealer tried to tell me that because I had my vehicle serviced at my local mech than I would have to pay for the updates to the con board comp. Anyway they had the car for 2 days and did the works on the manifold which had heaps of carbon in it. Got the car back yesterday, runs soo much better and all covered under warranty. Lets hope thats the last of the surging!! :)

Glad to hear that they were able to fix your surging issue :D
May be a good time to consider a egr plate and catch can ;)

Re paying for ECU Upgrades... That nugget of advice that you need to pay for the upgrades because you serviced your vehicle elsewhere sounds a lot like BS to me... :evil: :x I would jump up and down about that... F. me... They should call themselves Micro-bishi and move to silicon valley. :shock: and they wonder about the 'stealer' tag :roll:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AdrianL on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Have also had much better fuel efficiency...used to run around 9.8L/100km now running at 8.8L/100km :D

Or maybe I'm diving a little slower as I have 1 demerit point left :lol:
AdrianL

Postby UAV on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:27 pm

well after the CEL coming on 3 times in 4 days i finally got to the service center so they could have a look. But the told me that they couldn't even look at it for 2 weeks!!! So i said am "i supposed to drive around with the cel on for 2 weeks without it even being looked at?" and was told that was how it was. Any way so when they were booking it in to get looked at the said that the car had a outstanding warranty recall for the front bolts or whatever it is and told me i wasnt allowed to leave until they fixed it so 2 hours later i was allowed to leave with my car and while they had it there the checked the cel and told me i need a new manifold so they have ordered it in. WHAT A PITA!!!!
UAV

Postby YogiOz on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Getting the new manifold soon (upper and lower) - on order. Last service I asked for it to be checked and lo and behold it was "sooted up". Be nice to see what difference the new one makes......
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby subi_man on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Someone needs to post up a pic or details of this lower manifold change. Mine has only had what I would call the the upper section done, to relocate the MAP sensor tube. MitsiGuy?

Click to view larger picture
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby MitsiGuy on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:10 pm

The upper manifold is as what everyone here has noticed. All it is is to relocate the MAP sensor hose. By putting a cap over the existing port and relocated to the new port in the upper inlet manifold.

Generally the dealer will inform you to if the manifold has been replaced or cleaned.

If the lower manifold has been replaced the port on the lower manifold wont be there. I doubt that they are getting replaced atm due to what I have been informed by parts is that they are on back order and are struggling to keep up with them.

What most dealers are more than likely doing is just sending them out to be cleaned. Although this may fix the problem it may prove to be another problem down the track due to the solvents that are used to clean them deteriorating the bakelite or plastic on the swirls. We just have to wait and see what happens there. This to my knowledge isn't a mitsubishi approved fix as the lower inlet manifolds are not supposed to be pulled apart.

A way to tell if the swirl butterflies in the lower manifold are clogged is that when in neutral or park free rev the vehicle to between 2000 - 3000rpm. If they are clogged or even partially the vehicle with blow blue smoke and the vehicle will seem like it has a sort of miss / rough rev. Another symptom is also a sugre while driving with LOT at higher speeds.

After all repairs with this problem an SQL is carried out.

Just remember to keep an eye on your air filters and make sure they are clean.

Hope this helps out. Any more questions feel free to ask.
MitsiGuy

Postby Brett05 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:38 pm

this is the best shot I've got of the new revised lower manifold. note the lack of the old MAP sensor inlet.
Click to view larger picture
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby smouch1975 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 am

AdrianL wrote:Hey Guys

I had, had the idea of splitting my services between Mitsi and local mechanic, i.e cheap one at Mitsi, to include hot-fixes and recall/warranty work. Dear ones at local mechanic for a better price.

Can somebody please amplify on why the stealer, would be insisting updates now had to be paid for, is it not true that if a certified and compliant mechanic is used, and Mitsi inspect (service) the vehicle once per year, All of the warranty remains inplace. Is there a legal fight to be had here??
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby dismatpe on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 am

i think what they dealer is implying is that if you request a software update and its not warranty work then you'll foot the bill, it still requires labour to perform updates. i'm assuming that these costs are normally incorporated into a mitsi service cost, or to MMAL when a claim is made. its very microsoft, in that the product is never 100% tested, and in some cases bugs are found and require a hotfix. a hotfix is really a bandaid to certain problems seen by only some people, whereas a recall affects everybody. so unless you have a valid warranty issue then the dealer will try to make money out of you. alternatively if you had your car serviced every time by the dealer, then out of good faith they could do the update as your a loyal customer...
dismatpe

Postby Brett05 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 am

I have nothing but praise for my local dealer...Keystar Mitsubishi...they are great to deal with. I had my upper and lower manifolds replaced earlier in the year. Without a drama. My son just bought a ML GLX-R VR and it had the surging the day he picked it up. Took it back to them and they ordered the parts. Booked in for 8 am today to be replaced. They called him at 11:30am today to tell him he can pick it up, all done....new manifold and gaskets and an 09 re-flash

How good is that for service
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 am

We had one of our ML's serviced on wednesday and they did the full manifold change! My car has the same issue with suging and power loss also misfiring at 2700rpm. Hopefully they will so the manifold change for me.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Mikizee on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Well I drive a MN 2.5 (low power) and a new manifold has been ordered for me since the CEL came on and I lost most power, due to carbon buildup. Will the new manifold be any different to the one that's on my car now? Or will I need another manifold in another 20000 kms? (my car has only done 21000 kms).

Can someone explain the surging issue? Is it like unexpected acceleration or something?

I was driving up a ramp the other day at a shopping centre and using very little throttle, and all of a sudden the car jolted forward, is that the same problem?

Also experiencing misfiring when the engine is cold.
Mikizee

Postby Joe on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Mikizee wrote:Can someone explain the surging issue? Is it like unexpected acceleration or something?

At 82-83 kph in 5th gear (manual) it's like you're on and off the throttle. Produces a jerking motion like 'kangaroo hops' when you're first learning to drive a manual as a youngen. Missus used to hate it (so did I). All good now that the manifolds have been replaced and the EGR is blanked :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Mikizee on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Ah yes that happens to me sometimes, and has done since new.

Only happens when I'm doing about 75, on a slight decline with very little throttle.
Mikizee

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22 pm

I've got a funny feeling my new lower manifold ain't that new! They just cleaned it. I'll have to double check and see if the old nipple is still there. They had the car for over a day.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby sam on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 am

Jitsukablue wrote:I've got a funny feeling my new lower manifold ain't that new! They just cleaned it. I'll have to double check and see if the old nipple is still there. They had the car for over a day.

If it's the old manifold they most likely only ran some carbon cleaner through it so would be worth seeing if bolts/nuts have been touched :? :?
sam

Postby reeldreamer on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I today I jumped in the car to head out and whilst driving out of the car park i held it at around 2400rpm in 2nd gear then looked in the rear view mirror and i had blacked out the sun! There was blue smoke all the way up the street!!! Can't wait to have the manifolds replaced tomorrow then re-installing my egr blanking plate!

Mitch

reeldreamer

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am

Picked up my car from Mitsubishi yesterday.........what a difference :o The instant change in performance was incredible! Some power delivery all through the rev range and no hesitation! I have a photo of what the manifold looked like inside but i don't know how to post photos here! There was around 12mm of thick black tar inside the manifold. I have already re-installed my EGR blanking plate and i'm absolutely stoked!

Mitch

reeldreamer

Postby Brett05 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:16 am

reeldreamer wrote:Picked up my car from Mitsubishi yesterday.........what a difference :o The instant change in performance was incredible! Some power delivery all through the rev range and no hesitation! I have a photo of what the manifold looked like inside but i don't know how to post photos here! There was around 12mm of thick black tar inside the manifold. I have already re-installed my EGR blanking plate and i'm absolutely stoked!

Mitch

Good to hear Mitch, it does bring a big smile to ya, when you can feel the difference, and know it's nice and clean in there now.....well sort of nice and clean :lol:
Brett05

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 am

Tis good to know it will stay clean as well with the EGR plate ;) Brett i am still waiting for you to market your centre bearing lowering kit (CBLK) so i can rid my car of the last bit of shudder! How is your improvement going?

Mitch

reeldreamer

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls