replacement inlet manifold

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: replacement inlet manifold

Postby rick on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:05 pm

make the tossers change it mate,the cleaner is only treating the symptoms not the cause......
will they give you free cleaner for life,i think not :roll:
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby daryn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm

I think it is going to be "change the manifold or I go elsewhere".
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:27 pm

got my new manifold today so im pretty happy under warranty had my 15000klms service done today 8-)
mad992

Postby mlee76 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 am

Correct me if I am wrong. But they don't actually replace the whole manifold. They replace the lead in pipe that has the egr valve and turbo boost vacuume sensor on it. All's the new pipe does is moves the boost sensor away from the carbon that blocks it up. I stlii think you will get carboning so long as the egr valve is operational and oil is comming into the intake as well. I have found a really well built catch can at Autopro, it was $60 and very proffesional. I figure if I can prevent the oil meeting the carbon the issue wont be so bad.
mlee76

Postby sierra on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:48 am

mlee76 wrote: I have found a really well built catch can at Autopro, it was $60 and very proffesional. I figure if I can prevent the oil meeting the carbon the issue wont be so bad.

Any chance of the brand name in case they don't have it in stock?
A pic would be great! :D
sierra

Postby sierra on Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Couldn't wait any longer! :P
Thanks Mlee, this looks good, especially for the money! :D
$55 at Autopro.
Looks like chrome on steel container with aluminium and brass fittings and brackets.
No instructions.
8-)

Click to view larger picture
sierra

Postby mad992 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 pm

mate thats the go
mad992

Postby sierra on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm

mad992 wrote:mate thats the go

Forgot to give any dimensions.
The box is 200mm long and the total length of the can with those fittings is just under 190mm, so it's a good size and about 450ml by volume. Nothing inside there, just relies on the oil condensing out of the vapour and draining down the walls to settle at the bottom ready to be drained off.
Even the knurled drain plug is aluminium with an o ring.
8-)
sierra

Postby Greedy on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:42 pm

sierra wrote:Couldn't wait any longer! :P
Thanks Mlee, this looks good, especially for the money! :D
$55 at Autopro.
Looks like chrome on steel container with aluminium and brass fittings and brackets.
No instructions.
8-)

Click to view larger picture

Looks a tad more professional than Homer's beetroot can which is what I'll probably end up with. :lol:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:22 am

Thats nice, But i dont think there is a big problem with crank case vapor. Only Soot from EGR
GLX-R Alex

Postby sierra on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 am

GLX-R Alex wrote:Thats nice, But i dont think there is a big problem with crank case vapor. Only Soot from EGR

The trouble with the oil mist from the crank case breather is that it coats the compressor and intercooler so that whatever particles get past the aircleaner get trapped there and build up.
I agree the soot is a bigger problem, especially with this oil added but for $55 it's got to be worth fitting to maintain efficiency. Biggest problem is where to fit it? It needs to be away from the turbo, somewhere cool really, to encourage the oil to condense out of the mist.
:?
Right up front to one side of the heat exchangers would be perfect and the long hose would help condense the oil out too, low down to keep a fall on the hose.
Just need to be able to get to the drain and hold something under it.

Edit,
The 2 fittings in the short length of blue hose are the right size to adapt the larger hose and fittings. One can blank the inlet while the other adapts to the smaller hose for the can fittings or you could drill the blank one so it matchs the other one and use a return hose to the inlet, hopefully oil free.
sierra

Postby ag9111 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Fill it with stainless or Aluminiun swarf to give the particles something to condense on. Aluminium dishwashing pads are good but you need to fluff them up a bit as they are too tight.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:48 pm

ag9111 wrote:Fill it with stainless or Aluminiun swarf to give the particles something to condense on. Aluminium dishwashing pads are good but you need to fluff them up a bit as they are too tight.

Anything that goes inside has to go through the 12mm drain hole.
Be hard to fluff it up after it's been fed through that rolled up like a pencil.
:(
sierra

Postby Binksy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Getting the manifold, MAF sensor etc all changed next week.

GLX 2008 3.2td manual
D/Cab
19,600km.

I had the P0106 code on the Scangauge last week.
Two visits to the local Mits Service Center and all sweet.

I'm happy with my service guys.
Bunbury Mitsubishi.

Thanks to everyone that has posted about this issue, it helped me identify
the problem and explain it to the service guys.

Seeya
Binksy
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish......
Binksy

Postby daryn on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Binksy wrote:Getting the manifold, MAF sensor etc all changed next week.

GLX 2008 3.2td manual
D/Cab
19,600km.

I had the P0106 code on the Scangauge last week.
Two visits to the local Mits Service Center and all sweet.

I'm happy with my service guys.
Bunbury Mitsubishi.

Thanks to everyone that has posted about this issue, it helped me identify
the problem and explain it to the service guys.

Seeya
Binksy

hey binksy, how did you explain it all as I am about to hassle for mine, 30000k service due now and I want it done but they say they will not touch it unless a engine check light comes on, which is crap/cop out excuses.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby trytin on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 am

Daryn, just had 60,000 service done on my 2007at Klosters. I mentioned a rattle/ping in the engine and started using more fuel ( ave 9.8 now 10.8 in the last 4 tanks ). Went to pick up and they told me a new manifols on order. I hadnt mentioned the mainfold issue to them. They are also ordering a new steering coloum as I mentioned the knocking. Kloster Mitzo have been great and no haggles on fixing anything, they often tell me of the fixes. Give them a call and you might have some luck. I tried using Heratige at Rutherford and they are pathetic, so never again, havent tried Kelly Cardiff yet but probably no need, but unlike Klosters parts, Kelly Cardiff parts are so good I think they would even swallow.
trytin

Postby Binksy on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Daryn

I said I had no bottom end power and it felt like the turbo wasn't boosting.
It felt like my old 4.2d 92 Patrol. Put your foot down and it gets there when it wants to.

I didn't have to go into it too much as they already seemed to know about the symptoms.
Whatever they did on the first visit worked for a day or two then went back to no power.
I rang them back and got it back in so they could check it out again.

I may have been lucky as they had 3 other Tritons doing exactly the same thing at the same time.

In short,
Feels like the turbo isn't boosting.
When towing - can't accelerate above 110km.
When car is reving at about 3000-3500 it feels like it isn't going anywhere.

PS - I never fitted the EGR planking plate or played with the waste gate adjustment.

It sounds like each Service Center is different.

Hope this helps
Good luck.

Seeya
Binksy
So Long and Thanks For All the Fish......
Binksy

Postby daryn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks Trytin and Binksy, will follow your leads :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:39 am

Binksy wrote:Hi Daryn

I said I had no bottom end power and it felt like the turbo wasn't boosting.
It felt like my old 4.2d 92 Patrol. Put your foot down and it gets there when it wants to.

I didn't have to go into it too much as they already seemed to know about the symptoms.
Whatever they did on the first visit worked for a day or two then went back to no power.
I rang them back and got it back in so they could check it out again.

I may have been lucky as they had 3 other Tritons doing exactly the same thing at the same time.

In short,
Feels like the turbo isn't boosting.
When towing - can't accelerate above 110km.
When car is reving at about 3000-3500 it feels like it isn't going anywhere.

PS - I never fitted the EGR planking plate or played with the waste gate adjustment.

It sounds like each Service Center is different.

Hope this helps
Good luck.

Seeya
Binksy

Must be complety carboned up in the inlet manifold.
GLX-R Alex

Postby mad992 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:54 pm

well i dont know about that alex cause theres some funny shit goin on here, might need new manifold and reflash or new suction control valve or map sensor but mitz will fix it mate
mad992

Postby mad992 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 am

nearly a month now since new manifold and reflash and no problems and truck running good so im tempted to put blanking plate back in to see if it chucks a limpy any1 here got plate in with new upper manifold and reflash :?: :?: :?: and what if i drilled a 5-6mm hole in plate that might fool the truck :?: :?: :?:
mad992

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am

i dont see the point in drilling a hole in the blanking plate. you will still get soot through which defeats the whole purpose.

i guess you can argue it will be less but reducing the volume may still chuck a limpy code.

i have the blanking plate and can go weeks with no limpy and then get two in one day. bloody confusing.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:26 am

snowman wrote:i dont see the point in drilling a hole in the blanking plate. you will still get soot through which defeats the whole purpose.
i guess you can argue it will be less but reducing the volume may still chuck a limpy code.
i have the blanking plate and can go weeks with no limpy and then get two in one day. bloody confusing.

I agree it seems pointless fitting a plate with a hole through it, especially that big.

It could be that the EGR throttle butterfly is causing the problem, perhaps by causing too much vacuum when it closes and there is no flow from the exhaust to feed the manifold. The ECU only detects the plug is disconnected when you start up, you can unplug it after starting and try it out, just reconnect it after you turn it off.
There was never a problem with mine after fitting the blanking plate but that might be because the teeny wheeny engine doesn't have enough suction to trigger the alarm.
;) :lol:
sierra

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

mlee76 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong. But they don't actually replace the whole manifold. They replace the lead in pipe that has the egr valve and turbo boost vacuume sensor on it. All's the new pipe does is moves the boost sensor away from the carbon that blocks it up. I stlii think you will get carboning so long as the egr valve is operational and oil is comming into the intake as well. I have found a really well built catch can at Autopro, it was $60 and very proffesional. I figure if I can prevent the oil meeting the carbon the issue wont be so bad.

Truck is in at Klosters now for 30k service, I have had the egr plate in since 18k, they have just rung me and said that the manifold is full of Carbon, heaven help if I had not had the egr plate in (I think), anyway they say the same as mlee76 above, they do not replace manifold but replace parts.

So my question is, is Mitsu doing 2 different types of fixes here ie. 1 replace for some or 2. alter for others ?????
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sam on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 am

Not to my knowledge they have only ever replaced the first/primary section of the intake not the secondary section that bolts to the motor ;)
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls