replacement inlet manifold

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: replacement inlet manifold

Postby damian on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 am

thats correct only the inlet tube were the sensor port is located is changed
damian

Postby fastback on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 pm

you guys are nuts!!! how much more power can you achieve from blocking the egr valve?
fastback

Postby al coholic on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm

fastback wrote:you guys are nuts!!! how much more power can you achieve from blocking the egr valve?

When the hell has anyone ever said that blocking the egr was about gaining power...........its not about power, its about stopping the manifold building up with huge amounts of carbon on pre 09 ML tritons...........
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby NTBB on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

al not only on the pre 09 ML,this problems is with all EGR systems that are not using a VVT system that recycles exhaust gases through the exhaust valves.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby al coholic on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:41 pm

NTBB wrote:al not only on the pre 09 ML,this problems is with all EGR systems that are not using a VVT system that recycles exhaust gases through the exhaust valves.

But dont 09 tritons have the new type manifold and intake pipe setup to overcome or more like reduce this problem?????? Or have i completly ballsed this up somewhere along the line. Please forgive me if i have, i try my best to keep up, but as a mechanic.......well...........i make a damn good chippy :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Not all MY09's have it, mine is an MY09 but does not. Ae there actually 2 different intake manifolds ? I am confusedm too.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Mine is 07/2009 build and has the different intake pipe like the modified one in subi's photo on page 1, i assumed this was a good thing and that the guys that have had problems had a new intake manifold installed???? assumed also this must be diffent one to try and stop the carbon issue????

I'm outta my league with this stuff i think......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Postby subi_man on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 pm

The different manifold section won't stop carbon buildup - all it achieves is to prevent the small pressure sensing tube from becoming blocked (by re-locating the outlet), as that causes problems all of it's own.... :?
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm

subi_man wrote:The different manifold section won't stop carbon buildup - all it achieves is to prevent the small pressure sensing tube from becoming blocked (by re-locating the outlet), as that causes problems all of it's own.... :?

Thanks Subi, a cover up solution by the sounds of it. Is this is what everyone has been having changed to their motor or have people been getting actual complete new manifolds :?: :?: :?:

I have no idea whether this is connected or not but my latest fuel figures are up to now 17l/100k around town. With EGR blank installed and DP-Chip installed I can get around 13.5 around town, so I have no idea hat is going on.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 am

So this is what they have done, no new manifold :(

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am

daryn wrote:So this is what they have done, no new manifold :(

Did they record the fuel injection supply pipe removal and refitment?
It has to be replaced at the 6th valve clearance adjustment or 180,000km and if they ever claim to have done this check but haven't, they might well forget to record this detail.
sierra

Postby subi_man on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Capture.JPG

Daryn, these are the parts used for the "upgraded" manifold modification - main one being the pipe, air inlet (1505A464), seems this was fitted to yours from your list? Remember it's just a section of the manifold not a complete replacement - you can't see a shiny new section just below the EGR motor?
1505A464 - Pipe, air inlet
2036A291 - Vacuum hose & pipe
MD026761 - cap rubber, 2.9mm
MN158295 - gasket-throttle body (others)
ME204371 - gasket-throttle body
1582A039 - gasket-EGR valve
MR161679 - gasket-exh/manifold EGR pipe
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeh daryn you should be right mate, looks like they have done it. If what they say there actually happend.
Do what Andrew said and have a look under the EGR motor, something should look new there 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby mad992 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Capture.JPG

mate looks like they have done to yours what they did to mine so all good :D
mad992

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks Everyone, I have now exactly what is shown in Subi's pic on page 1, now a happy chappy :).

I have just put my egr plate back in so all should be good for now. Supposedly the pipes were totally blocked with Carbon so the sensor could not read anything and was throwing everything out, they say that it would have effected boost and how the ecu was working because it could get no proper reading.

The thing that upsets me most is that I asked for this to be checked at 15,000k and they said they wont until 30,000k, I have had my egr plate in since 18,000k, so I presume it has possibly been blocked since then.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

sierra wrote: Did they record the fuel injection supply pipe removal and refitment?
It has to be replaced at the 6th valve clearance adjustment or 180,000km and if they ever claim to have done this check but haven't, they might well forget to record this detail.

Why can this be a concern ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:35 pm

daryn wrote:
sierra wrote: Did they record the fuel injection supply pipe removal and refitment?

Why can this be a concern ?

Clearly there's a limit to the number of times the pipe can be removed and refitted. It has to be removed to do the valve clearances and tested after refitting because the common rail fuel pressure can cut through just about anything if it leaks.
Only Mitsubishi have the equipment to carry this out apparently so it makes you wonder how anyone else can check and adjust the valve clearances every 30,000km[15,000km audible check]
They appear to have done yours so should have recorded the first removal and refitting of the pipe in your service book.
It's all there in the service book.
sierra

Postby Trilo on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

At last I'm getting the new manifold :D . I had to take the ute in for a "air bag light" staying on and actually got to talk to one of the mechanics and mentioned there was a newer manifold that has been put onto the vehicles to stop the surging problems, and my ute is still got problems he told the Service Manger that it should be replaced. So he ordered one in for me. It has only taken 5 months :evil:. Better late than never :roll:
Trilo

Postby s13tsilvia on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 am

Well i got my truck back from mitsubishi lilydale after advising them that i wanted the inlet manifold checked for carbon buildup, i was getting surging and im down on power, i also had squeaky rear springs.
I call them at 4:30 to find out whats happening with my truck and they advise they have fixed the springs but there is a $140 charge for the cleaning of the inlet manifold?? so i query why is this chargeable, it is a known problem the surging and i want the manifold replaced with the new style, which i was told oh we always clean this area at every service, but as i had only just bought the car (second hand) it hasnt needed to be serviced yet, was done at 45,000 and is now at 50,000.
So i asked the service lady if you clean this area at every service, the car has done 5,000 k's since its last service by weribee mitsubishi, surely it cant be blocked etc by now, and it should be done free of charge, she then looks at my service book and tells me it hasnt been serviced since the 30,000 k mark.... im like WTF?? have a look at the top right sticker on the driver window, it says service at 60,000 by werribee mitsubishi so it must have been done at 45,000. She goes and checks and says yes your right, but your book hasnt been stamped???
Anyway they decided to waive the $140 after i also explained that my dad gets his triton serviced there and so does my gf's dad (magna) and this really isnt the way to treat customers who you want to return and has been serviced by mitsubishi all along.

Still unhappy they never changed the inlet manifold to the new style though....grrrrr
s13tsilvia

Postby Naff on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am

I've booked mine in for this Thursday at Lilydale also. My surging has come back just like it was prior to the last time I had the manifold cleaned.

Told them I was previously advised by Mitsubishi in WA that I needed the new inlet manifold but Lilydale won't do it 'site unseen'. They better not try and charge me :x

I might clue up the lease company so when they are called by Lilydale Mitsu they don't try and bullsh!t them.

Anyway; it's not a service item??? It's a poor design and as such, should be covered by warranty. If Mitsubishi intended on it gradually becoming blocked and thus requiring cleaning, it should be explicitly listed in the service book (is it??). I wouldn't buy a vehicle knowing that the design intent is for the manifold to build up carbon.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:29 am

Nathan,
I don't think the modified manifold stops any of the build up, it just sites the sensor up stream of the crud so it doesn't get blocked? Looks like a one piece affair so if/when they do replace it all the carbon's gone apart from the cylinder head inlet ports and they 'should' clean those while it's off.
Is it one piece?
The only cure is the blanking plate and the 3.2 needs a chip or disconnected throttle valve to be totally happy.
Catch can too but your intercooler will have a fair oil load by now I would imagine?
Nothing about cleaning the crud out in the service book.
sierra

Postby Naff on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah I realise the new manifold doesn't fix anything, I'm just more interested in getting the manifold I do have cleaned out again before I block the EGR and get the chip (still in the mail).. just to give it all a fighting chance!

I cleaned my Unifilter on the weekend in anticipation of getting the chip - already made a difference to my consumption from what I can tell in the current tank of fuel. Wasn't overly caked in large particles but was thick with very fine dust.

I had the manifold looked at in Mandurah and they cleaned it under warranty, so there is no reason for Lilydale or any other dealer in Australia for that matter to charge people to clean their manifolds under warranty. It's a flaw, not a serviceable component.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am

All under control then!
I'll shut up.
:D
sierra

Postby Naff on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am

Gee Mitsubishi is slack.

I asked them very specifcally to check the manifold - that's all it was in for. I wrote a whole document with a description of the problem, the history of the problem from when it was first looked at by Mandurah Mits and their own recommendation for the manifold to be replaced.

Instead of even thinking about looking at the manifold, all they did at Lilydale was look at the software revision, decide it needed an update, test drove it and because THEY didn't experience a problem, decided it was a closed case.

Now I will have to take it back when I experience the surging again. You would think that because I asked them to check the manifold and take action as required then they would simply do that. I don't care if they charged me the labour IF the manifold was clean... that's fair.

It isn't as if I went in there saying "I have a surging problem can you please try and figure it out?". I know what it is, I've had it before, it's been fixed before. Instead the pretend they know better and dismiss the customer altogether.

:evil:
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 am

Try ringing Mits head office to vent your frustration. Given the recorded history of the problem and it's resolve, you might suggest they are liable for any safety issues until it's fixed since you've reported the fault[again]
If they don't jump on Lilydale ask them to reply to the letter you are about to send so that you have formal response to your complaint, in case of an accident, so that liability can be claimed.
If that works, the arrogant pricks at Lilydale get stomped on too.
sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls